• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Jubilee Line Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
It sounds like it mainly now uses the same voice as SWTs use on their Desiros

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It also now says whether doors will open on the left/right hand side, à la the Victoria Line.

jaig

It is better for the blind, and yes, Celia Drummond voices both announcements on the Jubilee Line and on South West Trains. Her voice is clear and gentle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrB

I noticed this on Saturday, glad that TfL are providing this as it will hopefully ease passenger flow especially for those passengers who are unfamiliar with the network.

jaig

Yeah, but the most annoying thing is with the central line when I'm going to Holborn in rush hour, sometimes I get confused and travel on the wrong side, scrunched against the opposite door, then trying to squeeze past people to get off is a total nightmare!!!

rebmcr

Established Member
They've been phasing these in gradually (by stations and by units) for about a month now.

jaig

On the central line?!?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Jordy

Established Member
As far as I know the only change to the standard announcements is the addition of "Doors will open on the x hand side" - the rest of it is pretty much as before. The changes on the Northern line are more noticeable (although no "Doors will open on" - for now at least!)

jaig

Whatever is done on one line should be done on the other

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Announcements for TFL Rail haven't been included for example at Stratford

It is the same voiceover artist as before which is Celia Drummond, my favourite. She also does voice announcements on South West Trains which is my favourite national rail company too

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Whatever is done on one line should be done on the other

And in time probably will be.

Why would you want to have to wait to make improvements on other lines if it were to take a while on other lines?

The idea is that the Victoria Line style of announcement will be rolled out network wide, but doing it on one line has enabled them to check for errors and see how passenger behaviour changes. The changes came in with the new trains and background changes on that line. Other lines will need substantial work before they can have them.

jaig

And in time probably will be.

Why would you want to have to wait to make improvements on other lines if it were to take a while on other lines?

The idea is that the Victoria Line style of announcement will be rolled out network wide, but doing it on one line has enabled them to check for errors and see how passenger behaviour changes. The changes came in with the new trains and background changes on that line. Other lines will need substantial work before they can have them.

Oh ok

announcements

It's more complicated than that. The Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines (Infraco JNP) use different announcement suppliers to the rest of London Underground. I rather like the fact they remain distinct rather than being generically upgraded to the same voice as the Victoria line.

While the Victoria line has led the way in terms of technology, this clearly didn't translate to the S Stock, which while utilises the same voice, is a completely different system. You'll be able to detect this even by listening to the way in which the announcements are strung together.

This aside, I am surprised that the Jubilee line announcement upgrade didn't take the opportunity to iron out the glitch that creates an awkward pause between "This station is"/"The next station is"/"This train terminates at" and the station name. As someone posted above, the Stratford announcements have still not been updated to reflect London Overground and TfL Rail - why is this so difficult to achieve?

Still, I find the new "doors will open on the X hand side" announcements have been slotted in rather well, compared with previous updates e.g. the awkwardly rhetorical "and London Overground" bodged onto the end of the West Hampstead announcement, even though this ought to have been listed before "National Rail services" ....

The Northern Line has new announcements as well. For example it now says "change here for National Rail Services" instead of "change here for Mainline and Intercity and Suburban Rail Services".

With the Jubilee Line does it still use three different voices?

jaig

The male voice is no longer used, it's just Anita and Celia Drummond

Anita used to voice all of the announcements I believe until celia came along, who is more preferred

Via Bank

Has the Michael Meech "all change, please," "thank you for travelling on the Jubilee line" and "please keep your personal belongings with you at all times" been removed now? Or re-recorded with Celia?

jaig

Has the Michael Meech "all change, please," "thank you for travelling on the Jubilee line" and "please keep your personal belongings with you at all times" been removed now? Or re-recorded with Celia?
Rerecorded with Celia fortunately

The male voice is no longer used, it's just Anita and Celia Drummond

Anita used to voice all of the announcements I believe until celia came along, who is more preferred

Interesting. For some reason male on train announcements seem to be very rare nowadays. They replaced the male voice (possibly Phil Sayer?) who used to do the SWT 444s/450s/458s with Celia Drummond many years ago as well.

Just out of interest does anyone know the reasons why TFL has revised the Jubilee line (and Northern Line) announcements? I personally thought they were fine before.

jaig

Interesting. For some reason male on train announcements seem to be very rare nowadays. They replaced the male voice (possibly Phil Sayer?) who used to do the SWT 444s/450s/458s with Celia Drummond many years ago as well.

Just out of interest does anyone know the reasons why TFL has revised the Jubilee line (and Northern Line) announcements? I personally thought they were fine before.
For the northern line, national rail services were announced as mainline/suburban/intercity/international which is no longer the case. Also, exit announcements didn't exist on the northern line, now they do e.g Moorfields Eye Hospital.

For the jubilee line, the new announcement provides more support for the blind by announcing the side that the doors will open on. It is likely that there will be more announcements added soon for the jubilee line as most of the dva script dates back to 2003 unlike the recently updated northern line announcements.

Hope this helps [emoji2]

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I think this bit of work is being lead on just by LU rather than being a TfL wide decision (I'm not aware of changes on other modes), and upgrades of all systems for Night Tube lines are required, because obviously some interchanges won't be available.

announcements

LU have relatively recently updated the Bakerloo line termination announcement with a new male voice, who I have heard played as the doors open at Queens Park. I have a recording if anyone is interested. Similarly, the S Stock announcements were upgraded some time ago to feature a male voice for the "mind the gap" messages so as to add contrast... this voice was originally Phil Sayer, but has since changed (bar the occasional unit that still seems to have Phil!)

Rerecorded with Celia fortunately

Do we know that for certain? While I have heard the new Celia version, I assume this has been bodged on to the next station announcement, meaning that the Michael Meech announcement is still manually selectable if desirable?

For the northern line, national rail services were announced as mainline/suburban/intercity/international which is no longer the case. Also, exit announcements didn't exist on the northern line, now they do e.g Moorfields Eye Hospital.

For the jubilee line, the new announcement provides more support for the blind by announcing the side that the doors will open on. It is likely that there will be more announcements added soon for the jubilee line as most of the dva script dates back to 2003 unlike the recently updated northern line announcements.

The Moorfields Eye Hospital announcement always existed, but now there are more. What is interesting is they did not take the opportunity to alter the Old Street announcement so that it is says "Exit here for Moorfields Eye Hospital" rather than "Change here for..."

I think this bit of work is being lead on just by LU rather than being a TfL wide decision (I'm not aware of changes on other modes), and upgrades of all systems for Night Tube lines are required, because obviously some interchanges won't be available.

Indeed, the scripts are being changed for the Night Tube, however it depends on the line as to whether or not these will be built into the automated system. For instance, the Central line DVA will not be updated for Night Tube as the technology fitted to the '92 stock is too antiquated! Instead, it will be down to the T/Ops to manually announce at interchange stations.

jaig

LU have relatively recently updated the Bakerloo line termination announcement with a new male voice, who I have heard played as the doors open at Queens Park. I have a recording if anyone is interested. Similarly, the S Stock announcements were upgraded some time ago to feature a male voice for the "mind the gap" messages so as to add contrast... this voice was originally Phil Sayer, but has since changed (bar the occasional unit that still seems to have Phil!)

Do we know that for certain? While I have heard the new Celia version, I assume this has been bodged on to the next station announcement, meaning that the Michael Meech announcement is still manually selectable if desirable?

The Moorfields Eye Hospital announcement always existed, but now there are more. What is interesting is they did not take the opportunity to alter the Old Street announcement so that it is says "Exit here for Moorfields Eye Hospital" rather than "Change here for..."

Indeed, the scripts are being changed for the Night Tube, however it depends on the line as to whether or not these will be built into the automated system. For instance, the Central line DVA will not be updated for Night Tube as the technology fitted to the '92 stock is too antiquated! Instead, it will be down to the T/Ops to manually announce at interchange stations.

Can you PM me an example and I'm not sure which unit it is but the carriage 21314 or 21413 within it still has the Phil Sayer one, but I prefer Sarah Parnell's one.

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
Similarly, the S Stock announcements were upgraded some time ago to feature a male voice for the "mind the gap" messages so as to add contrast... this voice was originally Phil Sayer, but has since changed (bar the occasional unit that still seems to have Phil!)
ISTR when the Jubilee line stock was introduced, LU stated that they deliberately chose to use a mix of female and male voices. The female voice would be used for all 'routine' announcements (e.g. next station..., change for..., etc.). But because regular passengers (or even one-off passengers on a longish journey) would soon simply perceive those regular announcements as background noise, a male voice would be used for contrast on 'non-routine' announcements (e.g. terminating trains, change of destination, evacuate train, etc).

Seemed like a good idea to me.

Dhassell

The Male "Please Mind The Gap" On S Stock has been like that for years

Nym

Established Member

Are you sure about that on 92TS?

Quite asside from the fact it doesn't have a 'DVA', it has CAC and SAC modules and takes data from ATO PAC codes and the DTS M2 module, and of course the SAA modules.

Last edited:

announcements

ISTR when the Jubilee line stock was introduced, LU stated that they deliberately chose to use a mix of female and male voices. The female voice would be used for all 'routine' announcements (e.g. next station..., change for..., etc.). But because regular passengers (or even one-off passengers on a longish journey) would soon simply perceive those regular announcements as background noise, a male voice would be used for contrast on 'non-routine' announcements (e.g. terminating trains, change of destination, evacuate train, etc).

Seemed like a good idea to me.

You are quite right there. What's more, it is argued that further contrasts were created insofar that the original female voice would announce destinations such as 'North Greenwich', 'Willesden Green' and 'Neasden' with more emphasis so as to call attention to the fact the train is not travelling the full way. Notice how Stratford and Stanmore are announced in a far plainer fashion.

The Male "Please Mind The Gap" On S Stock has been like that for years

Yes that's right, which is why I said "sometime ago" - I couldn't specifically remember when, but it was roughly a year after they entered service.

Are you sure about that on 92TS?

Quite asside from the fact it doesn't have a 'DVA', it has CAC and SAC modules and takes data from ATO PAC codes and the DTS M2 module, and of course the SAA modules.

Quite positive. LU are no longer able to access the computer used to update the announcements, so they are stuck as they are. So much for forward thinking back in the early '90s!

Status
Not open for further replies.