• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New lockdown in England, including school closures, announced by Johnson, 4/1/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Tier-4 style freedom of movement restrictions are set to be introduced across the entire country, along with school closures similar to March, amid concerns that schools may act as "vectors of transmission for the virus". Apparently the target is to re-open schools after the February half term, and Ofqual is working on the reduction of exams for students.

This is according to the broadcast on BBC News this evening.

Here are the details from the BBC website:

We must go into a national lockdown - PM​

The prime minister adds that given the alarming figures, it had become "clear that we need to do more" to bring the new fast-spreading coronavirus variant "under control" and help the vaccination roll-out in the UK.
He says we must therefore go into a national lockdown, with the government once more telling people to stay at home, except for specific reasons, including essential shopping, to work, if you cannot work from home, to exercise, to seek medical help, to escape domestic abuse.
He says the government will be advising clinical extremely people to begin shielding again.
Primary and secondary schools must move to remote learning from tomorrow, except for vulnerable children and those of key workers, he adds.
Given this, it is not "fair" for all exams to go ahead this summer, he says.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Now it's in the hands of the vaccination people.

DB

More catastrophic damage to the ecomony and education, and the same old tactics which have already failed (here and in other countries).

johntea

Established Member
Cafes, bars and restaurants will be allowed to serve takeaway - but in a tightening from the draconian measures last spring, they will not be allowed to serve any alcohol

RIP to many small businesses

We are being led by an absolute monster. How that man sleeps at night is beyond me.

DB

We are being led by an absolute monster. How that man sleeps at night is beyond me.

He clearly doesn't care - and unfortunately the same seems to apply to most politicians.

SS4

Established Member

He is convinced he's right so I imagine he sleeps very soundly indeed. Put the dampeners on the economy and you create unemployment letting you drive down living standards and working conditions. We've already undone a lot of the hard work by changing a few words in a job contract.

In a recession the richest always do well. They get businesses for pennies on the pound. He's probably salivating at the chance to cut back the public sector and increase privatisation all whilst his buddies in the press don't say anything bad or challenge him

bramling

Veteran Member
More catastrophic damage to the ecomony and education, and the same old tactics which have already failed (here and in other countries).

I was particularly disturbed by the fact that exams are being messed with, again. And the way he tried to justify the fiasco of schools being back for one day was laughable (or it would be if it wasn’t so serious).

Domh245

Established Member
More catastrophic damage to the ecomony and education

Aren't the changes mostly to education? Apart from the areas not already in tier 4, not much will change economically I thought (although obviously yes, continuing to keep businesses closed will have a hit)

Jamiescott1

Will it come into law from tonight or only from Wednesday after its been debated in Parliament

DB

Aren't the changes mostly to education? Apart from the areas not already in tier 4, not much will change economically I thought (although obviously yes, continuing to keep businesses closed will have a hit)

I'm in a Tier 3 area (Tier 2 until recently), so yes, it will be a notable change - yet again the shops will mostly have to close, making those still open more crowded.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cafes, bars and restaurants will be allowed to serve takeaway - but in a tightening from the draconian measures last spring, they will not be allowed to serve any alcohol

ISTR that was in the publicity originally for Nov lockdown but then ended up being not implemented at the last minute.

philosopher

Established Member
I'm in a Tier 3 area (Tier 2 until recently), so yes, it will be a notable change - yet again the shops will mostly have to close, making those still open more crowded.
To be fair in Tier 4 areas, it does not really seem much different from what already is in place.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
He told us to send kids back to school this morning as it was safe but now its not - the man has absolutely no credibility.

Of course there will be no dissent from the Tories except Desmond Swayne as they can sit in there fancy house with nice gardens with nothing to worry about while the rest of us just see our livelihoods and dreams ebbing away.

Darandio

Established Member
To be fair in Tier 4 areas, it does not really seem much different from what already is in place.

Not being able to take the youngest to school tomorrow morning is very much different than what was expected this week.

SS4

Established Member
He told us to send kids back to school this morning as it was safe but now its not - the man has absolutely no credibility.

Of course there will be no dissent from the Tories except Desmond Swayne as they can sit in there fancy house with nice gardens with nothing to worry about while the rest of us just see our livelihoods and dreams ebbing away.

That has been clear as day for years but somehow people still vote for them

I feel sorry for the parents who can't send their kids to daycare school. I wonder how many will be off tomorrow because 8pm is a fantastic time to announce such a thing

bramling

Veteran Member

The trouble is it’s hard for there to be much meaningful dissent when allegedly so much of the population claim to support lockdown measures.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

Can anyone give me the science behind why collecting a lager is more of a covid-spreading risk than picking up a latte???

DB

That has been clear as day for years but somehow people still vote for them

Johnson is particularly bad though, by any standards. He makes even Cameron (probably the weakest PM for decades until Johnson) look brilliant by comparison.

Can anyone give me the science behind why collecting a lager is more of a covid-spreading risk than picking up a latte???
Or why collecting a lager from a pub is more covid-spreading than buying a six-pack from the supermarket.

APT618S

SS4

Established Member
Johnson is particularly bad though, by any standards. He makes even Cameron (probably the weakest PM for decades until Johnson) look brilliant by comparison.

Oh definitely. But that party leaders sit in their mansions oblivious to the suffering of ordinary folk is hardly new for the Tories

It's hard to believe only about 25k people voted for him and yet here we are with a man who is happy to destroy the democratic process to get his way

brad465

Established Member

I expect them to get more vocal come mid-February, and/or as this drags on longer with visible damage elsewhere and overall infection numbers come down.

DB

The trouble is it’s hard for there to be much meaningful dissent when allegedly so much of the population claim to support lockdown measures.

But given the diet of doom, with a helping of gloom and all garnished heavily with fear, which they are fed by the politicians and mainstream media, it's inevitable that this will be a majority view.

Plus the fact that many don't realise what this is going to do to the country in the longer term.

bramling

Veteran Member

The only thing I can suggest is that alcohol can cause behavioural issues with people. As an example, my place has had quite a bit of trouble with either unresponsive drunks on trains, or - worse - aggressive ones. As well as causing a problem as it’s impossible to do distancing whilst physically dragging someone off a train, it also imposes a burden on the emergency services in particular the ambulance service.

Whether the measures proposed will have any effect on this is, of course, another matter entirely.

SS4

Established Member

There isn't. It's just the puritanical side of the Tories coming out again. That alcohol is for the useless poor and they need to be saved for they're too feckless to do it themselves.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m quite worried about my A Levels now actually. A lot of progress can be made in the 6 months between December and June, and a lower grade from my previous assessments is not fair.

I speak for all students not just myself

DB

The only thing I can suggest is that alcohol can cause behavioural issues with people. As an example, my place has had quite a bit of trouble with either unresponsive drunks on trains, or - worse - aggressive ones. As well as causing a problem as it’s impossible to do distancing whilst physically dragging someone off a train, it also imposes a burden on the emergency services in particular the ambulance service.

Whether the measures proposed will have any effect on this is, of course, another matter entirely.

I expect most of them are supping on a large bottle of cider or a multi-pack of special brew though, rather than a take-out from the pub!

philjo

Established Member
The guidance says exercise should be once per day and not travel beyond the local area. It also emphasises 2 metre distancing, though I’m tending to keep to at least that distance anyway where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.