• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New LU Uniforms Unveiled - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Couldn't see a prior thread for this anywhere except on Dave's, so figured there'd be no danger in opening one here...)

I just spotted this on the BBC this evening:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29878913

A new designer uniform has been unveiled for Tube staff working on London's Underground (LU).
It is the first time in ten years the uniform has been updated and includes pieces tailored for female staff.

Red or Dead co-founder Wayne Hemingway, designed the uniforms incorporating the LU logo on pockets, jacket cuffs and zip pulls.

The uniform will be trialled at six stations and two train depots before being distributed across the service.

I'm not about to instantly dismiss them, but there's just something about the waistcoat-style one that completely rubs me up the wrong way.

They've commissioned Hemingway, right? I'd expect a lot better than this...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't really like it, but it is certainly better than the short lived "sailor" style they had before the current uniform.

bravot

The only uniforms looked quite good. I appreciate there may have been fitting issues but they could have been resolved without a "rebranding".

Having seen it in the flesh yesterday it caused a bit of sick come up into my mouth. The shoes especially...

Clip

Established Member
Quite like the waistcoats and polos they are sporting in the pics there - not seen the shoes.

talltim

Established Member
I don't think the line across works on jackets and waistcoats. Its OK when they are done up, but when undone they slope down.

Tubeboy

The new shoes are basically Brogues with a red stripe around the sole. I don't like Brogues, but aside from that, I haven't got any major issues with it.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are eight different designs of shoes/boot for each gender as part of this trial, so the items seen here are not necessarily what will be worn when the final products are rolled out.

I think it's great for staff to have a lot more visibility, although I am not sure about polo shirts for station staff; think it looks a bit scruffy. The gillet (which some people have referred to as a waistcoat) is one item that many staff called for, and I also like the fact there are cardigans for men! Not sure about the red piping on the suit jacket though, although as said it is just a trial.

Clip

Established Member
I only said waistcoat as it has a lower collar thana gillet would normally have as they're normally rounded closer to the neck.

Then again I am not Gok Wan. I prefer to dress well ;)

Yew

Established Member
The collar on that waistcoat is hideous. Same with the roundel and the stripe on both that and the polo.

I think staff should be colour coded by line :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I neither like it nor dislike it as such. However, as there was nothing wrong with the old ones, nor did they look dated, a wholesale replacement of uniforms doesn't seem like a good use of limited funding.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Sadly colour coding of seats seems to be on the way out - all refurbs are going for blue, it appears.

Neil

rebmcr

Established Member
The waistcoat looks like a nursery school painting apron. The polo looks really cheap and garish, like something you'd get from a budget tshirt-printing firm.

Suffice to say I don't like them at all!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The waistcoat design is very ungainly. There's too much going on and the roundel only being one side gives it a lopsided appearance. Thus ends my fashion critique. :lol:

The collar on that waistcoat is hideous. Same with the roundel and the stripe on both that and the polo.

I endorse this idea!

Daniel

Established Member
Very difficult to colour code staff by line as staff other than drivers work on more than 1 line... King Cross St. Pancras station, for example, is a Metropolitan Line station. Therefore, staff working on the Victoria line platforms would be wearing Met Line polo's if they were to be colour coded.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Changing rooms at strategically positioned points, so staff can change uniform for whatever line they're working on/nearest?

See? I think of everything...

ert47

How about detachable colour strips/pockets/electrical tape/pinbadges?

Tibbs

E-Ink panels with RFID readers to automatically recolour themselves!

I was thinking of Tron-Style neon piping... :lol:

tron-costume.jpg

(Package enhancing outfit optional...)

Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
Well it's different I'll say that, not sure I like it though. The jackets polo neck t-shirts look far too casual for the front line staff. I can also see what the designer is trying to achieve with the roundel and it is quite clever but what staff need is a smart, comfortable, practical and hard wearing uniform not something that looks like it belongs on a catwalk. ;)

I like the colour palette used however. :)

GatwickDepress

Established Member
E-Ink panels with RFID readers to automatically recolour themselves!
It is the railway, so I was thinking a hideously complex series of translucent coloured materials that have be aligned and layered just so to get the right colour for that particular line.

Daniel

Established Member
The staff are in for a lot of leg-pulling if not worse.

I work at a trial station, (though I am not included in it myself), and I do know of some staff who are now refusing to wear the new kit because of the comments...

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I do wonder how much all this will cost, surely the money would be better spent improving services etc., is a new uniform really necessary.?

Status
Not open for further replies.