• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Rail Air from Guildford to Heathrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
No timetable yet but Surrey bus changes has a new RA2 from Guildford to Heathrow daily, run by First Berkshire starting from July 1st.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

B7rleThrasher

This will utilise the 62/63 plated Panthers which have recently had a spell in Somerset for Rail Replacement. They’re now at Empress Road Depot in Southampton in storage.

higthomas

The timetable is available here. Broadly hourly 4-10. Looks like a pretty good service to me. Hope they make a success of it.

Surreyman

The timetable is available here. Broadly hourly 4-10. Looks like a pretty good service to me. Hope they make a success of it.
Competition for National Express from Woking to Heathrow (operated by Reading buses, who provide Garage space for First Rail Air Link at Reading!!)
When the LEZ is expanded, Heathrow becomes a Euro 6 only emissions zone from October 2020, so the '62/'63 reg coaches will have to be replaced/upgraded by then.

A 10 minute turnaround at Heathrow is quite a gamble, especially if the M25 is playing up. Junctions 10-14 are especially prone to queues.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I’d imagine it was compiled with an element of experience from the Reading service? By comparison though, some of the National Express 925 turnarounds are just five minutes at each end - even on weekdays! One has 5 mins at Heathrow 0840-0845, then another 5 mins at Woking 0940-0945! Admittedly those journeys are given extra running time on weekdays, but it still seems interesting scheduling for an airport coach service that will require luggage handling. That said, it’s not all too unusual to see Tweets regarding reliability issues....

embers25

Established Member
Interesting to see the fares on this given Heathrow to Guildlford using the X26 and 715 is around £6 but takes a while. I also wonder if they'll allow people to travel Guildford-Wisley given that could boost patronage.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I don’t see why Guildford to Wisley journeys couldn’t be made as Wisley is not shown on the timetable as a pick up/set down only stop, like the Compass Centre and School of Acting are. Stagecoach route 715 passengers do get around £3 off admission to Wisley Gardens upon presentation of their bus ticket, so will have to see if that offer gets extended to RA2 passengers and if so, how much the Guildford to Wisley fares compare between the routes.

Surreyman

I don’t see why Guildford to Wisley journeys couldn’t be made as Wisley is not shown on the timetable as a pick up/set down only stop, like the Compass Centre and School of Acting are. Stagecoach route 715 passengers do get around £3 off admission to Wisley Gardens upon presentation of their bus ticket, so will have to see if that offer gets extended to RA2 passengers and if so, how much the Guildford to Wisley fares compare between the routes.
I have known the NE 925 to divert off and around the M25 when traffic is bad, haven't traveled on it since Reading Buses started operating the route, so not sure if this still happens.
Perhaps it should be pointed out that traffic levels southbound on the A3 in the afternoons, can cause delays, I assume that the new route will exit A3/Guildford by pass where it becomes 2 lane, queues can start from 3pm on weekdays. Also traffic in Guildford centre 3-4pm (School run) can be very slow.
Stating the obvious but the M25 between 7am - 8.30am & 1600-1900pm can be very slow moving, ditto A3 from 7am-8am northbound.
Accidents/incidents can bring both A3 & M25 to a slow crawl.
Traffic levels on the M25 these days are sometimes as bad on Saturdays & Sundays as weekdays.
I note that a combined Rail/NE 925 ticket std price one way Guildford - Heathrow Central= £14.40.

Surreyman

The timetable seems to suggest the route continues south along the A3(2 Lane section) to the University/Cathedral junction, where it goes into the University grounds (GSA just inside) and presumably continues to Guildford Stn via the Chase & Guildford Park Road, terminating at the station forecourt, returning via the 'Gyratory' system.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The timetable seems to suggest the route continues south along the A3(2 Lane section) to the University/Cathedral junction, where it goes into the University grounds (GSA just inside) and presumably continues to Guildford Stn via the Chase & Guildford Park Road, terminating at the station forecourt, returning via the 'Gyratory' system.
Correct. And anyone that has ever listened to Eagle Radio is likely to have heard of “the Cathedral turn” in the traffic reports! Guildford station itself can take an easy 10 minutes just to get out of onto the gyratory in the evenings.

Meerkat

Established Member
I really wouldn’t be trusting a bus service that uses the A3 through Guildford or the A3/M25 Junction!
A3/M25 often queuing back to the edge of Guildford by 7:30....

The Ham

Established Member
If anything this shows why the Southern Approach to Heathrow (rail) should be built, in that there's demand for a coach link from both Guildford and Woking.

Although I'm all for competition, so I also hope that the coaches do well too.

Surreyman

If anything this shows why the Southern Approach to Heathrow (rail) should be built, in that there's demand for a coach link from both Guildford and Woking.

Although I'm all for competition, so I also hope that the coaches do well too.
Lets not be too hasty, you say "demand from both Guildford & Woking", Woking is @ 7 miles from Guildford, there's a train every 15 minutes during the day, the journey takes 10 mins.
Up to now if I want to get to Heathrow, I buy a single combined through ticket (train & Nat Express coach from Guildford to Heathrow, 10 mins to Woking, @ 45 mins (longer, depending on the time of day)
Total time with waiting and connections @1hr 5mins (you always get an earlier coach than you need to because of possible congestion/delays).
New First service timed at 1hr 5 mins direct with no change(via Surrey University).
The Woking Nat' Express Coach service frequency was reduced from every 30 mins down to every hour a few years ago, making the service less attractive, although probably more profitable for N.E.
Of course only a small number of people currently using N.Express originate in Guildford, many travel on the main (South West)line into Woking and anyone travelling up on the Portsmouth route, has no incentive to get off at Guildford rather than Woking. Presumably First are hoping to 'Grow' the market.
I don't know what the price difference between the 2 coach services is going to be, would have to be a big difference in Surrey.
As I and others have already commented, congestion and delays are the real issue here, My fall back has always been, If the Motorway is closed/Gridlocked and you are desperate to make a flight, you are 7 miles closer to Heathrow and and there is a plentiful supply of taxis at Woking and I know every route/back road to heathrow even if the taxi driver doesn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.