• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New roof appendage for the 483s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
First we had white 5G aerials above each cab, but now both 483s in use have acquired black boxes on the roof, visible in the videos below near the middle of the train. Any ideas?

I'm guessing it's another 5G aerial, but could it be related to the line's upgrade? Cab radio perhaps?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
I haven't heard of any UK rolling stock being fitted with 5G aerials and above the cab looks like a GSMR fin. Is the black pod a WiFi pod?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I haven't heard of any UK rolling stock being fitted with 5G aerials and above the cab looks like a GSMR fin. Is the black pod a WiFi pod?
These definitely were fitted with 5G as a trial of the radio tech, last year I think. Its possibly mentioned in an earlier thread...

driver9000

Established Member
These definitely were fitted with 5G as a trial of the radio tech, last year I think. Its possibly mentioned in an earlier thread...

I must have missed that. Quite fun to have the oldest stock in daily service fitted with the latest technology.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Chris125

Established Member
I must have missed that. Quite fun to have the oldest stock in daily service fitted with the latest technology.

SWR are planning to fit it across their network, and are using the Island as a testbed: https://www.globalrailwayreview.com...nt-series-south-western-railway-mark-hopwood/

"But we’re not just utilising tech to help the environment – we’re also boosting our digital infrastructure. After being trialled on our trains on the Isle of Wight, Rail 5G is set to be rolled-out across the SWR network, creating the world’s first ever gigabit railway."

MotCO

Established Member
Who? Why? (serious question disguised as a pun on the name)

Aside from any concerns about the integrity of the company, if the Government is banning Huawei from 5G networks, it would be unfortunate if SWR had opted for this company since it will have to incur the expense of replacing it in the not too distant future.

Romsey

But the government behind MTR would prefer that they used Huawei equipment.
First Group won't care as the franchise probably runs out before 2027 or the whole TOC system will be under government control so it's not their problem....

DelW

Established Member
Landlines would have been quite a rarity when they were built!
But the government behind MTR would prefer that they used Huawei equipment.
First Group won't care as the franchise probably runs out before 2027 or the whole TOC system will be under government control so it's not their problem....
The franchise was intended to run until August 2024, though as you say, that may change now.

Status
Not open for further replies.