• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Thank you to my predecessors for initially creating and then taking on the updating of this thread.

This first post lists only those stations considered to have a good chance of being delivered in a reasonable timescale. I have taken the list ‘as is’ at December 2020 and will update it when there is new information from a reliable source, which essentially means a public statement by Network Rail or a TOC. Statements by a funding body, a development partner, a Local Authority or Government will also be considered.

Post 254 provides a list of all the stations discussed in this thread up to the end of December 2020 (65 in total). In preparing to take over the thread I have identified over 150 ‘proposed stations’ plus a number of ‘proposed lines’ where individual stations are not listed. Some of these proposals are very speculative (wouldn’t it be a good idea if …..), others were serious proposals which appear to have fallen by the wayside.

For the latest updates please refer to the latest thread posts, for the up-to-date comprehensive summary refer to the following table.

There is a separate thread for the more speculative proposals: New Stations and Schemes - a comprehensive list of speculative proposals

Opened in 2024StatusLocationNotes
patiently waiting :smile:
2024 and beyond (dated)Anticipated opening dateStatusLocationNotes
Cameron Bridge [CBX]2 June 2024under constructionbranch from Thornton North JunctionDiscussion here
Leven [LEV]2 June 2024under constructionbranch from Thornton North JunctionDiscussion here
Ashington [ASL]2024under constructionproposed Northumberland LineDiscussion here
Ashley Down [ASD]2024under constructionbetween Filton Abbey Wood and Stapleton RoadDiscussion here
Darlaston [DAS]2024under constructionbetween Walsall and Wolverhampton
Newsham [NWH]2024under constructionproposed Northumberland LineDiscussion here
Seaton Delaval [SEJ]2024under constructionproposed Northumberland LineDiscussion here
Willenhall [WIA]2024under constructionbetween Walsall and Wolverhampton
White Rose [WRO]later in 2024under constructionbetween Cottingley and MorleyDiscussion here. New Stations Fund - 'round 4'
Kings Heath [KIH]late 2024under constructionbetween Birmingham New Street and Kings Norton (Camp Hill Route)Discussion here
Moseley Village [MOV]late 2024under constructionbetween Birmingham New Street and Kings Norton (Camp Hill Route)Discussion here
Pineapple Road [PIR]late 2024under constructionbetween Birmingham New Street and Kings Norton (Camp Hill Route)Discussion here
Winslow [WNO]possibly late 2024under constructionbetween Bicester and BletchleyDiscussion here
Bedlington [BEJ]2025under constructionproposed Northumberland LineDiscussion here
Belfast Grand Central2025under constructionnorth of present Belfast Great Victoria Street
Blyth Bebside [BLI]2025under constructionproposed Northumberland LineDiscussion here
Butetown [was Loudoun Square]2025under constructionbetween Queen Street and Cardiff BayGeneral South Wales Metro discussion here. A completion date of 2025 is now being suggested
Cambridge South [CMS]2025under constructionbetween Cambridge and ShelfordDiscussion here
Northumberland Park [NOP]2025under constructionproposed Northumberland LineDiscussion here
Beaulieu Park2025/26under constructionbetween Chelmsford and Hatfield PeverelDiscussion here
Pill [PIA]2026Development Consent Order approvedbranch from Parson StreetDiscussion here
Portishead [POH]2026Development Consent Order approvedbranch from Parson StreetDiscussion here
Birmingham Curzon Street2029 - 2033under constructionHS2
Birmingham Interchange2029 - 2033route works commencedHS2
Old Oak Common2029 - 2033under constructionHS2
Other proposals being progressedStatusLocationNotes
Balgray (was Barrhead South)undatedproposedbetween Whitecraigs and NeilstonDiscussion here. A completion date of Autumn 2025 has been suggested.
Beeston Castle and Tarporleyundatedproposedbetween Crewe and ChesterDiscussion here. Restoring Your Railway: Ideas Fund Round Two
Cardiff Parkwayundatedplanning application 'called in'between Cardiff Central and NewportDiscussion here. A completion date of 2024 has been suggested.
Charfieldundatedplanning permission grantedbetween Yate and Cam & DursleyA completion date of late 2024 has been suggested.
Cottam Parkwayundatedplanning permission grantedbetween Preston and SalwickDiscussion here. A completion date of '2030 at the latest' has been suggested.
Crwys Roadundatedprior approval grantedbetween Queen Street and Heath High LevelGeneral South Wales Metro discussion here. Completion dates of 2023, 2024 or 2025 have been mentioned.
Cullomptonundatedproposedbetween Tiverton Parkway and Exeter St DavidsA completion date of 2025 has been suggested.
Deeside Industrial Park/Northern Gatewayundatedproposed - funded to further develop proposalsbetween Hawarden Bridge and NestonNew Stations Fund - round 3
East Leeds Parkway / Thorpe Parkundatedproposedbetween Cross Gates and GarforthNew Stations Fund - 'round 4'
Edginswellundatedplanning permission grantedbetween Newton Abbot and TorreNew Stations Fund - round 3
Elland [ELN]undatedplanning permission grantedbetween Brighouse and Halifax / Sowerby BridgeDiscussion here. A completion date of 2026 has been suggested.
Ferryhillundatedproposedbetween Darlington and DurhamRestoring Your Railway: Ideas Fund Round Two
Gabalfaundatedproposedbetween Cathays and LlandafA completion date of 2028 has been suggested.
Golborneundatedproposedbetween Wigan North Western and Warrington / Newton-le-Willows / PatricroftDiscussion here. A completion date of 2025 has been suggested.
Haxby P & Rundatedplanning application submittedbetween York and MaltonDiscussion here. New Stations Fund - round 3. A completion date of 2026 has been suggested.
Henburyundatedproposedbetween Filton Abbey Wood and St Andrews RoadA completion date of 2025/26 has been suggested.
Langport & Somertonundatedproposedbetween Castle Cary and TauntonRestoring Your Railway: Ideas Fund Round Two
Leeds Bradford Airport Parkwayundatedproposedbetween Horsforth and Bramhall TunnelMost recent discussion here. A completion date of 2025 has been suggested.
Liverpool Balticundatedproposedbetween Liverpool Central and BrunswickMost recent discussion here. A completion date of 2025 has been suggested.
Lydewayundatedproposedbetween Westbury and Pewsey
North Filtonundatedplanning permission grantedbetween Filton Abbey Wood and St Andrews RoadA completion date of 2025/26 has been suggested.
Okehampton Parkwayundatedproposed, fundedbetween Sampford Courteney and OkehamptonBeing discussed here and here. A completion date of 2025 has been suggested.
St Annes Parkundatedproposedbetween Bristol and KeynshamRestoring Your Railway: Ideas Fund Round Two
St Clearsundatedproposedbetween Carmarthen and WhitlandNew Stations Fund - round 3
Surrey Canal [was Surrey Canal Road or New Bermondsey]undatedplanning permission grantedbetween Queens Road Peckham and Surrey QuaysDiscussion here. A completion date of early 2025 has been suggested.
Waverley (South Yorkshire)undatedproposedbetween Darnall and WoodhouseRestoring Your Railway: Ideas Fund Round Two
Wellingtonundatedproposedbetween Taunton and Tiverton ParkwayA completion date of 2025 has been suggested.
Wixamsundatedplanning permission grantedbetween Bedford and FlitwickOld discussion here, current discussion here. A completion date of 2024 has been suggested.

Note: Updates will be mentioned in a new post at the end of the thread, and reflected in the above table.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Below is a summary of the information, now duly updated, of what the original thread originator had in mind in 2018. It is NOT intended to be used in conjunction with with the first posting on the thread information.

ALREADY OPENED

Opened 3 June: Meridian Water [MRW]
Opened 15 December: Warrington West [WAW] , Robroyston [RRN]

Opened 23 February: Worcestershire Parkway [WOP]
Opened 29 June: Horden [HRE]
Opened 15 October :
Kintore [KTR]

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Expected by end of the year (in no particular order) : Bow Street; Reading Green Park; Portway (choices of suffix);Barking Riverside;

*********************************************************************************************************************************

2022 (and beyond) Elizabeth Line stations and HS2 stations:-
Elizabeth Line stations at : Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Canary Wharf, Custom House, Woolwich (the last three on the Abbey Wood branch line). These stations had been held up awaiting final funding confirmation)

HS2 stations at: Old Oak Common, Birmingham Interchange and Birmingham Curzon Street; Manchester Airport/Interchange

There were numerous suggestions for other stations made in earlier postings besides these which time will make clearer in the months to come.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
2019 hopefully - Bond Street Crossrail, Tottenham Court Road Crossrail, Canary Wharf Crossrail, Custom House Crossrail and Woolwich.

Network Turbo

Thanks for making this thread, PR1Berske. Good to have a list that can be referred to.

I also found this website through google just now. It's very useful too- https://trundleage.co.uk/
Contains a list of recently opened stations as well as planned stations.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
A few more that are to open during the WM franchise to be added to this list post 2020 (as part of franchise promises)
  • Darlaston - confirmed by Transport for West Midlands
  • Brierley Hill (Moor Street - near to Kingswinford Junction/Moor Street Goods Yard) - confirmed by Councillor Patrick Harley, leader of Dudley Council on his monthly Facebook Q&A
  • Brierley Hill (Canal Street Midland Metro Interchange) - same source as above
  • Moseley, Kings Heath and Hazelwell are planned for the Camp Hill line plus the island platform at King's Norton

Condor7

I thought this thread might be about a wall calendar featuring photos of different stations each month. What a shame, I would have gone for one of those. :)

lincolnshire

Rotherham Parkgate ? Is it a station or a tram terminus point / stop.

As by what I have seen you couldn,t stop a train there as the platforms are too low, its just for trams.
Its like the platforms at Rotherham Central at the far ends of the existing platforms they are a lot lower and are just for trams to stop at.

Andyjs247

Post 2020 you can add Winslow (also the High Level platforms at Bletchley). These are due to open hopefully in 2023 as part of EWR2

gtis

Rotherham Parkgate ? Is it a station or a tram terminus point / stop.

As by what I have seen you couldn,t stop a train there as the platforms are too low, its just for trams.
Its like the platforms at Rotherham Central at the far ends of the existing platforms they are a lot lower and are just for trams to stop at.
Yes it’s just a tram stop
Neil

Pshambro

I've had the idea to start this thread to have in one place a breakdown of when new stations are due to be built onto the network. I'm using currently information from various threads on here, rather than going too far into Google just yet.

Any information and what not would go towards something useful I think :)

Likely:Rotherham Parkgate

Likely: Warrington West; Robroyston; Worcestershire Parkway; Kintore; Meridian Water (ex. Angel Road); Bond Street Crossrail, Tottenham Court Road Crossrail, Canary Wharf Crossrail, Custom House Crossrail and Woolwich
Maybe: Dalcross; Winchburgh; Reading Green Park

Beyond 2020
Portway Parkway; East Linton; Renton

Lets not forget the shiny new ones on HS2 that you (personally) will never visit :)

InOban

Established Member
I believe the funding for Kintore is committed, but Robroyston is to be funded by a £15k levy on each of the planned new houses, and so must depend on how rapidly they are built. Maybe someone who uses the route can tell us if work has started.

Supercoss

2021. Brent Cross West
On Thameslink North route between Cricklewood & Hendon .

PR1Berske

Established Member
Thanks for the info and updates. I'm away from my laptop for a day or so, once we're reunited, I'll post a new timetable :)

Stopper

I suspect nothing will happen on the Winchburgh front until the post-electrification Newbridge timetabling disaster has been sorted/confirmed.

Winchburgh will be a well-used and much needed station provided it gets a decent service, which the currently proposed one is not.

Kintore is also a great addition and a station that will likely be well served.

PR1Berske

Established Member
The original post has been updated :) I've removed Rotherham as that appears not to be a mainline railway station.

LewFinnis

Another one 'in the pipeline' if the money can be found is Thanet Parkway off the A299 near Minster. Might become Thanet International if Manston Airport ever re-opens!

Clip

Established Member
Another one 'in the pipeline' if the money can be found is Thanet Parkway off the A299 near Minster. Might become Thanet International if Manston Airport ever re-opens!

I doubt that will ever be built and same goes for Manston to reopen as an airport

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m also surprised the OP didn’t include the HS2 stations. Doesn’t he think they’ll be built?

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Willenhall will be post 2020 and Im still dubious over the Brierley Hill ones regardless of what a councilor may say.

davetheguard

Established Member
Reading Green Park is now Summer 2019

I got a glimpse of construction looking well advanced from a Voyager passing the site of Worcestershire Parkway last week; anything to be seen from the train at Reading Green Park yet?