• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
The GMCA has now approved funding for Golborne station:

Evidently the GMCA plan is for the hourly Cumbria - Manchester Airport via Wigan North Western service to call at Golborne. But all three options in the Manchester Recovery Task Force consultation document would reroute this service via Bolton from 2022, leaving the new station with no trains!

Won't it get served by the infrequent Wigan - Newton Le Willows - Liverpool services?

pdeaves

Established Member
The weekly notice sent out today says Bow Street will be made available from 14 February. (That does not guarantee that the operator will stop trains from that date, just that NR will not prevent it!).

RH Liner

As a new member I’ve just read through this thread, looking in particular for any mention of the Robin Hood Line extension from Shirebrook to Ollerton via Warsop and Edwinstowe. This has been discussed for several years now, but nothing concrete seems to have happened. Anyone know anything?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As a new member I’ve just read through this thread, looking in particular for any mention of the Robin Hood Line extension from Shirebrook to Ollerton via Warsop and Edwinstowe. This has been discussed for several years now, but nothing concrete seems to have happened. Anyone know anything?
Welcome.

I think this thread‘s more about known or probable new stations, rather than line reopening as such.

I found that there was a discussion last August that seems to be about your question:

(I used the forum search function for “Ollerton”.)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Welcome.

I think this thread‘s more about known or probable new stations, rather than line reopening as such.

I found that there was a discussion last August that seems to be about your question:

(I used the forum search function for “Ollerton”.)

Welcome @RH Liner

I am trying to keep the table at #1 strictly limited to those stations 'considered to have a good chance of being delivered in a reasonable timescale', rather than it being a rather long list of every suggested re-opening. There are a number of Wikipedia pages, and several private websites, devoted to proposed new stations. Each has a different list. My long list, drawn from those sites and other sources, stands at 159 named stations and a number of line re-openings which will have multiple stations on them.

The thread has evolved through three 'owners'. I see #1 as a calendar of committed re-openings, with other 'highly likely' new stations tagged on the end. Some proposals have a thread of their own and where I have found such a thread I have added a link at #1.

The most recent Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline (RNEP) includes 'Reopening of a branch of the Robin Hood Line with aims including improvement of access to employment opportunities.' passing the Decision to Develop stage.
Projects listed in this table have progressed through the first development stage and will have completed a Strategic Outline Business Case. Some limited technical development work may have now taken place to further understand the case for action and to identify options to do so. The focus of this stage is to further advance development work towards a single viable option and to construct an Outline Business Case.
The next stage is 'Decision to Design' and then 'Decision to Deliver'.

Nearby, the Restoring Your Railway Fund had a bid 'To reconnect Ashfield Communities through the Maid Marian Line. Reopened lines and new passenger services, Alfreton - Ashfield (Maid Marian Line).' This was submitted under round two and was successful - meaning that the scheme will be developed in greater detail.

5 February Updates:
Bow Street - updated to February 2021 opening. There is a suggestion as 'available for use' from 14th, and a reference to trains being shown on Real Time Trains from the 15th.
Portway Park & Ride - updated to December 2021 opening.
Reston - status updated following granting of planning permission

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
5 February Updates:
Bow Street - updated to February 2021 opening. There is a suggestion as 'available for use' from 14th, and a reference to trains being shown on Real Time Trains from the 15th.

Well, we shall soon know the actual status of Bow Street once mid-February has passed.

With regards to the Portway station, has a final decision been reach on the actual wording that will be used in the name of this station?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Well, we shall soon know the actual status of Bow Street once mid-February has passed.

With regards to the Portway station, has a final decision been reach on the actual wording that will be used in the name of this station?
Bow Street: RealTimeTrains now has passenger calls for Sunday 14th February, so I guess that's the date, 0912 if anyone happens to be in the area.

Portway: Park & Ride is the name being used by those involved with the project. I guess confirmation will come when it is entered into rail industry systems.

terryc

I think the GMCA wants Golborne to have a frequent service to Manchester, not an infrequent service to Liverpool! :D
The Golborne station reopening was always going to be close to the top of Andy Burnham's agenda, seeing that he lives in the town :smile: , and is much more likely to go ahead than the proposed parkway station at Kenyon, as that would need cooperation from Warrington Cheshire, which is situated in that borough.

The current trackwork orientation would allow for an island platform on the slow lines (as per the original station closed in the 1960's)

I think the intended plan might be to use the current Manchester Airport to Barrow in Furness service as the initial service to utilise the station. We wait and see

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Golborne station reopening was always going to be close to the top of Andy Burnham's agenda, seeing that he lives in the town :smile: , and is much more likely to go ahead than the proposed parkway station at Kenyon, as that would need cooperation from Warrington Cheshire, which is situated in that borough.

The current trackwork orientation would allow for an island platform on the slow lines (as per the original station closed in the 1960's)

I think the intended plan might be to use the current Manchester Airport to Barrow in Furness service as the initial service to utilise the station. We wait and see

Though the Slows are an operational pig - from Platform 4 at Wigan you have to cross the Down Fast on the flat at Springs Branch** to gain the Up Slow, then cross back at Golborne Jn.

**The dive under at Bamfurlong is a Goods Line,I recall.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Would the same location as the now-closed Golborne station be used for this proposed station?

terryc

Would the same location as the now-closed Golborne station be used for this proposed station?
Would make sense to site it in the same, or very close area as plenty of land where the old coal sidings were, and is adjacent to a current car park which does have scope for enlargement onto the afore mentioned NR land

Greybeard33

Established Member
Though the Slows are an operational pig - from Platform 4 at Wigan you have to cross the Down Fast on the flat at Springs Branch** to gain the Up Slow, then cross back at Golborne Jn.

**The dive under at Bamfurlong is a Goods Line,I recall.
Indeed, a reopened station would really need a platform on the Up Fast rather than the Up Slow. I imagine this would require the Fasts to be slewed, making the project much more costly.

I don't believe the original station ever had services to Manchester. Southwards they mainly went to Warrington/Crewe.

terryc

Indeed, a reopened station would really need a platform on the Up Fast rather than the Up Slow. I imagine this would require the Fasts to be slewed, making the project much more costly.

I don't believe the original station ever had services to Manchester. Southwards they mainly went to Warrington/Crewe.
Although I was only a young lad at the time, I too don't recall an original service to Manchester, but the services to the south IIRC went via Newton le Willows and Earlestown junctions / stations

RH Liner

Welcome @RH Liner

I am trying to keep the table at #1 strictly limited to those stations 'considered to have a good chance of being delivered in a reasonable timescale', rather than it being a rather long list of every suggested re-opening. There are a number of Wikipedia pages, and several private websites, devoted to proposed new stations. Each has a different list. My long list, drawn from those sites and other sources, stands at 159 named stations and a number of line re-openings which will have multiple stations on them.

The thread has evolved through three 'owners'. I see #1 as a calendar of committed re-openings, with other 'highly likely' new stations tagged on the end. Some proposals have a thread of their own and where I have found such a thread I have added a link at #1.

The most recent Rail Network Enhancements Pipeline (RNEP) includes 'Reopening of a branch of the Robin Hood Line with aims including improvement of access to employment opportunities.' passing the Decision to Develop stage.

The next stage is 'Decision to Design' and then 'Decision to Deliver'.

Nearby, the Restoring Your Railway Fund had a bid 'To reconnect Ashfield Communities through the Maid Marian Line. Reopened lines and new passenger services, Alfreton - Ashfield (Maid Marian Line).' This was submitted under round two and was successful - meaning that the scheme will be developed in greater detail.

5 February Updates:
Thank you

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Well then, Bow Street was opened today, so I suppose we will next look forward to Reading Green Park opening next, sometime later this year.

Network Rail's website is optimistic about Soham opening "by the end of 2021".

JRT

I don’t think there is any plan to reopen Kingskerswell station, as stated in the table and #19. The new station for Edginswell seems to be forging ahead though - perhaps that is what the poster was referring too?
New plans are now in place to build Torquay’s third railway station in Edginswell.

Planning permission was approved by Torbay Council in November 2016 and work is expected to start in Spring 2022 costing a total of £13million.

This will make Torquay only one of a few towns with three stations all within a relatively short walk of each other.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Updates 15 February 2021:
Bow Street - opened without ceremony on Sunday 14 February.
Hazelwell, Kings Heath and Moseley - status updated following granting of planning permission.

Table at #1 updated accordingly.

REVUpminster

New plans are now in place to build Torquay’s third railway station in Edginswell.

Planning permission was approved by Torbay Council in November 2016 and work is expected to start in Spring 2022 costing a total of £13million.

This will make Torquay only one of a few towns with three stations all within a relatively short walk of each other.
Edginswell planning permission expired in November 2019. New plans for the station with lifts replacing the previous ramps have not been published though I look every week at the Torbay planning portal. Torquay Station plans for lifts have recently appeared on the portal.

Torquay is the third biggest town in Devon behind Plymouth and Exeter.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Update 11 March 2021:
Updated the status of Soham to 'under construction' and provided a link to the thread discussing the station. Also noted that it may open late 2021 rather than spring 2022.

In the 2021 Budget funding was allocated for five stations in the West Midlands, those on the Walsall - Wolverhampton and Camp Hill lines. Opening dates unchanged at 2023.

Funding has been allocated for Headbolt Lane in Merseyside, with a potential opening in 2023.

Table at #1 updated accordingly.

mcmad

Last I heard Reston was December 21 and East Linton likely December 22 openings but not sure if anything official has been released.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
East Linton is shown on # 1 in the 2023 section.....should it have been in the 2022 section?
2023 and beyond to be pedantic!

The project hub states:
When will the station be open to the public?
The development is still subject to planning decisions by the Council and funding approval by Transport Scotland. We would anticipate that the station will be open by March 2024 – the end of our current five-year funding period – at the latest. We will though work with our stakeholders and partners to pull this date forward if possible.
Elsewhere, it says they expect a planning decision in April 2021, and a construction period of 12 - 18 months.

May 2022 would therefore be one possible date, if all their ducks were in a line. November 2022 (or the December timetable change) would be an alternative. Any delay in getting the funding approved, or gaining possessions to do the work, may push those dates out. I think I'll stick with 'undated' for the time being, having noted yours and @mcmad's comments.

Personally, I regard any given opening date as extremely flexible until shovels are in the ground. Prior to that a contract being let (not issued) with a fixed construction period / completion date built in.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I see on the BBC website Wiltshire council wish to reopen Corsham and a new station Wilton Junction. This new 4 platform station would serve Wilton park & ride.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I see on the BBC website Wiltshire council wish to reopen Corsham and a new station Wilton Junction. This new 4 platform station would serve Wilton park & ride.
Is this proposal on the same site as the Wilton Parkway proposal put forward by TransWilts in 2015? That was only going to be a two platform station.