• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New TV series: The Architecture the Railways Built

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I cannot share the architects enthusiasm for his new Wolverhampton station. It's a complete carbuncle that is no better than a car showroom on an industrial estate!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I cannot share the architects enthusiasm for his new Wolverhampton station. It's a complete carbuncle that is no better than a car showroom on an industrial estate!
Quite! Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Noticeable also that Tim actually got to visit East Cornwall but just did a voiceover for the Wolverhampton segment. ;)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good that there’s a story about the series on Network Rail’s website, easily accessible from their homepage:
I watched that last week. I may be going to Scotland in the next year or so, when we are allowed to travel and would do a trip to Wemyss Bay, just to see the fantastic station there, I have heard about it, but the programme was very timely. (Maybe do Ardrossan Harbour station too-I see that only open in 1987?)

ashkeba

Established Member
As was the previous one! At least this one seems like a nice looking one and some thought seems to have gone into passenger use instead of trying to force them through corners everywhere.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I watched that last week. I may be going to Scotland in the next year or so, when we are allowed to travel and would do a trip to Wemyss Bay, just to see the fantastic station there, I have heard about it, but the programme was very timely. (Maybe do Ardrossan Harbour station too-I see that only open in 1987?)

Yes, I was impressed by that station as well. Seemed to be very well designed for passenger flows as much as anything.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes, I was impressed by that station as well. Seemed to be very well designed for passenger flows as much as anything.
Yes, for the ferry connections too no doubt.

As was the previous one! At least this one seems like a nice looking one and some thought seems to have gone into passenger use instead of trying to force them through corners everywhere.
Will the trams be incorporated into the station?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just watched the Wolverhampton / Royal Albert Bridge / Gällivare episode.

Very pleased to see the new Wolverhampton station - a vast improvement. For those criticising, remember it’s not finished yet.

Also very pleased that the camera didn’t swing to the right when interviewing that architect outside the old Low Level Station, as then the nation’s TV viewers wouldn’t have seen what was there, and perhaps some may have been encouraged to go there. It’s busy enough as it is!

Quite! Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. Noticeable also that Tim actually got to visit East Cornwall but just did a voiceover for the Wolverhampton segment. ;)

No doubt he did look to the right at Low Level, and thus spent the time more productively in The Best Pub In The World.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Next week's episode (Tuesday 2nd February 2021 at 8.00 p.m.) includes a visit to the two stations in Windsor (Central and Riverside) and a trip to Scotland to view the Connel Bridge in Argyll and Bute.

Spamcan81

Just watched the Wolverhampton / Royal Albert Bridge / Gällivare episode.

Very pleased to see the new Wolverhampton station - a vast improvement. For those criticising, remember it’s not finished yet.

Also very pleased that the camera didn’t swing to the right when interviewing that architect outside the old Low Level Station, as then the nation’s TV viewers wouldn’t have seen what was there, and perhaps some may have been encouraged to go there. It’s busy enough as it is!

No doubt he did look to the right at Low Level, and thus spent the time more productively in The Best Pub In The World.

The Great Western perchance? It's been a long, long while since I last imbibed in there.

Calthrop

Established Member
I happened recently to watch one "number" of the series The Architecture the Railways Built -- for the first time: I can be a bit of an overgrown schoolboy, including having a tendency to feel, "architecture is boring". Can also, for a British railway enthusiast, be rather an ignoramus -- the mentioned TV item seen the other night, included a section on Bennerley Viaduct in Nottinghamshire; a venue to which, as such, I had hitherto been oblivious -- I see that it has featured in threads on these Forums, in which I have taken part; but it would seem that the references there, went over my head.

I get the impression that Tim Dunn, in presenting this series, harbours sentiments which are positive-bordering-on-ecstatic, about everything which he features on the programmes: he was certainly sounding that way, about Bennerley Viaduct. I being a Philistine in many things: my first reaction to seeing the structure shown televisually, was "it's long, all right; but it's in low-lying country, and not impressively high above the ground". Gathered however from the televised material, that this is a momentous artifact, whose survival long after closure of the line on which it lay, gives cause for joy; and that enthusiastic admirers in considerable numbers are engaged in restoring it, with view footpath / cycleway use. I did get from this item in The Architecture... , that the viaduct is of much interest in its ambitious use of wrought iron, and in a situation where standard viaduct-making techniques of the day would not have worked.

I find it additionally chastening to realise that I must have had the privilege of travelling on trains, over Bennerley Viaduct: several times over the period 1962 -- 64, I travelled on the Nottingham Victoria -- Derby Friargate route while it still had passenger services; at a distance of nearly sixty years, memories of scenes observed between the two are few and faint, and do not include awareness of crossing the Erewash valley via a viaduct of impressive length. One lives and learns !

Last edited:

geoffk

Established Member
I found this a very good series. This last programme featuring Sheffield station was of particular interest as I lived in the city for a while and, even, more so, next time Tim visits Bristol Temple Meads where my railway interest began in 1958! I don't know if he plans to cover Harringworth Viaduct, which I discovered in 2019 as part of a holiday in Corby (yes, really!)

Calthrop

Established Member
Should the series feature Harringworth Viaduct, I'd be most interested to watch that one: a highly imposing structure, and one which I have both been across by public-service train, and admired from the valley floor (my childhood and youth, spent in that general area). Holidays in Corby -- well, not generally reckoned as much of a jewel in England's tourist crown; but one figures that absolutely anywhere on earth has at least some positive attributes which can be enjoyed.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
This current series is mostly ok but I am finding things a bit repetitive. For example the tunnel on the GC had already been visited by Rob Bell in his "railway walks". Likewise the L&B and the Chelfam Viaduct. Even Portillo featured the L&B in his series.
I'd like to have seen more about the architecure of Barrow Hill too rather than just the turntable and smithy shop. I bunked it in its final years,it's an impressive place.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I do think the new series has a nice broad mix of subjects. I've never had much interest in minature railways, but I finished watching one episode wanting a trip on the Lynton and Barnstaple. The contrast between the two stations at Bath was another nice angle, whilst the inclusion of a European destination adds a bit of exotic interest.

I suppose that as much as we love 'em, a railway is still a railway and there are only so many types of structures one can go through before we inevitably visit something similar.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I watched one episode, realised I’d been to all the places featured (incl. Gällivare), and gave up after that.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I watched one episode, realised I’d been to all the places featured (incl. Gällivare), and gave up after that.
Are you saying that you are not watching simply because you've already been to the various places that Tim and his crew are now visiting?

bspahh

Established Member
Tim Dunn is going to present a new UKTV series on Secrets of the London Underground
He posted about it here:

https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1371883093238382596

DELIGHTED to share this news tonight! I, with @siddyholloway, are hosting a brand new TV series for
@UKTV's @YesterdayTweets channel. #SecretsOfTheLondonUnderground is about the hidden parts of London's Underground - and it's out later this year

and linked to
UKTV has commissioned, Secrets of the London Underground for its factual channel, Yesterday. The six-part UKTV Original series will be produced by UK indie, Brown Bob Productions.

In the new series, railway historian Tim Dunn (pictured left; The Architecture The Railways Built) and Siddy Holloway (right) from the London Transport Museum, will explore hidden areas of the London Underground that hardly anyone knows about including a station only accessible by getting a train driver to stop at just the right place, but which played a key role during the Second World War.

“We’re delighted to be going underground with Brown Bob for this new series on Yesterday. Viewers are fascinated by the Tube and this series promises unseen locations, fresh stories and secrets galore from right across the city. All of which will be brought to screen by the irrepressible Tim Dunn who is this time joined by London Underground expert Siddy Holloway. Prepare to be captivated,” UKTV’s Hilary Rosen said in a statement.

“We’re really excited to be producing another series for Yesterday, taking Tim on a new adventure, and introducing Siddy to the audience,” Jacqueline Hewer, CEO of Brown Bob Productions, added. “We can promise one thing – you’ll never travel on the tube again without wondering what’s through that door at the end of the platform…”

Secrets of the London Underground has been commissioned for UKTV by deputy director of commissioning Hilary Rosen and ordered by Yesterday channel director, Gerald Casey. The series is produced by Brown Bob Productions and the executive producer is Rob Dersley.

The series is currently filming with adherence to COVID-19 procedures and regulations, according to UKTV. The series will air on Yesterday later this year and will also be available for catch-up on UKTV Play.

John Webb

Established Member
The reference to "a station only accessible by getting a train driver to stop at just the right place, but which played a key role during the Second World War." seems to be a reference to Down Street and its use for the Railway Executive Committee, which I recall Tim Dunn visited in his first series. It was accessible from street level - the use of a train was strictly limited.

ashkeba

Established Member
The current series is going well. Fascinating to see inside Temple Meads and Huddersfield. I wish there were more maps, including railway lines.

Always good to hear of another Tim Dunn series but the title seems very close to both "Secrets of the Underground" and "Secrets of Underground London" which had a show about the tube.

simonw

I do think the new series has a nice broad mix of subjects. I've never had much interest in minature railways, but I finished watching one episode wanting a trip on the Lynton and Barnstaple. The contrast between the two stations at Bath was another nice angle, whilst the inclusion of a European destination adds a bit of exotic interest.

I suppose that as much as we love 'em, a railway is still a railway and there are only so many types of structures one can go through before we inevitably visit something similar.
prepare to be disappointed :The L&B is not a miniature railway.

simonw

The current series is going well. Fascinating to see inside Temple Meads and Huddersfield. I wish there were more maps, including railway lines.

Always good to hear of another Tim Dunn series but the title seems very close to both "Secrets of the Underground" and "Secrets of Underground London" which had a show about the tube.
Like you, I find the lack of maps disappointing. I also wish there were plans showing the actual structure and how it fits together - it is after all called the architecture the railways built. I guess, however, isn't really aimed at railway enthusiasts but rather at the general public.

SCH117X

Established Member
Tim Dunn regularly posts in the RMWeb thread related to the programme and has explained that their is only so much that be fitted in a programme of its format. Has also confirmed that it his decision to go on roofs and the producers do not force him.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Well he's admitted he likes clocks so no wonder he's keen to go up high. It's a shame he never he never visited the Bristol TM clock tower,the door to it was seen open on the ariel footage. He didn't mention the lost spire either.
A group of us had arranged a rooftop tour of BTM inc the tower but a change of management curtailed this. We had done the cellars the previous year.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well he's admitted he likes clocks so no wonder he's keen to go up high. It's a shame he never he never visited the Bristol TM clock tower,the door to it was seen open on the aerial footage. He didn't mention the lost spire either.
He did, but it was edited out because there just wasn't time to fit it all in. He did, however, tweet about it with some photos of the inside - I know he reads this thread so maybe he'll post the pictures here for you...?

Status
Not open for further replies.