• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

News and updates on model railway products

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
An interesting preview of the Bachmann Caledonian Class 812. I think this is a really interesting locomotive, although I doubt I will actually get one. The blue livery looks very nice.

SCH117X

Established Member
There are two blue versions as the loco as preserved is in a darker blue

Established Member
The latest Engine Shed from Hornby. Includes a update on the GNER Mk4's and FGW HST. The buffet is listed as coach K but the image does show coach F.
Maunsell Morsels and Mainline Coaches :: Hornby Hobbies

Maunsell Morsels and Mainline Coaches​

2 days ago
Comments
ENGINE-SHED-SOCIAL-OCT-21.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the latest edition of the Engine Shed! With just over two months to go until the 2022 Hornby range is launched it is all go at Hornby HQ and we’re all looking forward to being able to finally share the big projects for next year. In the meantime though, what we can confirm is that the Hornby 2022 range will be launched on 10th January – so mark your diaries and set your alarms!
Now back to the current range and in this month’s edition it is very much picture perfect! In keeping with the old adage, ‘A picture paints a thousand words’, we have a selection of decorated samples of the new Mk3, Mk4, and Maunsell coaches which we can’t stop looking at – wait until you see the close ups! First, we will begin with two new Maunsell coaches.

Maunsell_1.jpg

BR, Maunsell Kitchen/Dining First, S7998S - Era 4
BR, Maunsell Kitchen/Dining First, S7880S - Era 4

Maunsell_2.jpg

BR, Maunsell Composite Diner, 7841 - Era 5
BR, Maunsell Composite Diner, 7843 - Era 5

Maunsell_Detail_1.jpg

A close up image showing the curtains, table lamp, and the finely printed ‘First’ Class sign printed on the window.
Maunsell_Detail_2.jpg

Maunsell_Detail_3.jpg

Detail image highlighting not only the coach end but also the metal sprung polished buffers of S 7998 S.
Maunsell_Detail_4.jpg

Contrasting image of the BR (SR) green Maunsell, highlighting the distinctive brass grab handles of the end door.
Maunsell_Detail_5_updated.jpg

An image looking through the coach windows showing the finely printed curtains and the decorated interior detail.

The latest decorated samples of the GNER designed Mk.4 coaches arrived earlier this week with the following showing the high detail and the superbly applied livery that has been applied to these coaches:
R40145_2.jpg

GNER, Mk4 Standard (Accessible Toliet), Coach F - Era 9
Included with each coach will be newly developed close couplings which will allow for the minimum of gaps between each coach:
Mk4_Detail_1_updated.jpg

Mk4_Detail_2_updated.jpg

This image shows just how close the new Mk4s can be using the new couplings.

Finally, we have the latest examples of the FGW Dynamic Lines liveried Mk3 coaches:

R40033_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer Standard Disabled (TSD), Coach C, 42012 - Era 10

R40034_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer Guard Standard (TGS), Coach A, 44004 - Era 10

R40035_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Buffet (TRFB), Coach K, 40204 - Era 10

R40036_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer First Open (TFO), Coach G, 41010 - Era 10

R40036A_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer First Open (TFO), Coach H, 41009 - Era 10

R40037_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open, Coach B, 42014 - Era 10

R40037A_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open (TSO), Coach D, 42360 - Era 10

R40037B_1.jpg

FGW, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open (TSO), Coach E, 42013 - Era 10

A closer look showing the delicate application of the Dynamic Lines livery:
R40034_2.jpg

And in addition to these coaches, we also have images of the appropriate FGW liveried Class 43 HST:
R3958-_Class_43_1.jpg

R3958-_Class_43_2.jpg

FGW, Class 43 HST Train Pack - Era 10

Iskra

Established Member

Bachmann have announced their winter products; A new livery class 90 which look excellent and I'm sure will be very popular- they also include sound fitted versions which appears unusual for electric locomotive models. Also an LMS class 2MT which looks excellent. A rather nice looking GMPTE class 150 is coming too. There are also some rolling stock items and scenecraft.

In N Gauge, there are new class 03 & 04 shunters in multiple liveries. Plus the aforementioned GMPTE 150 as well as a 101 railcar, some new rolling stock and scenecraft products.

SCH117X

Established Member
The LMS tank is a 1995 tooled body on a new chassis from a years back.

SCH117X

Established Member
Seems to largely to be two bidders trying to out do each other; other bidders gave in at £300, £250, £241 or less than RRP.

Hi
Just had this recently and I thought I’d share it with you I had an Arriva Trains Wales class 153 added to my layout called Metcalfe Central

9C33E0F4-8424-4102-AFB7-B0AD34E0AF99.jpeg

This morning, on Model Railway News...
  • Accurascale Class 92s in OO gauge - decorated samples expected by the end of July and reveal expected early-to-mid-August
  • Gaugemaster announce N gauge Class 59 (59003)
  • Flangeway/Footplate Salmon wagons - version 2.0 samples have arrived
  • Peco L&B brake van - updated decorated samples shown
  • World of Railways release video including Rails of Sheffield's 18000 model on the Model Railway Club's test track
So quite a few updates then!

As usual, details given in spoilers below.

If I've missed anything, let me know.

-Peter :)

EDIT: Turns out I did miss something - Rails of Sheffield's new Iron Mink Vans:

Price: £36.95
The Acurascale class 92s are out and they are in the hornby magazine yearbook and they are stunning models

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter C

Established Member
Not sure when they were dispatched, but this is an example of Hornby's LNER HST Farewell train pack - the yellow bit round the front is questionable, to say the least...
1641646460372.png
1641646480697.png
1641646494651.png
1641646507005.png
1641646518857.png
1641646530565.png

1641646540475.png
1641646553048.png

Hornby Class 43 HST E43112 & W43006 BR Blue livery ‘The LNER Farewell Tour’ #hornby #oogauge #modelrail #modelrailway #hst #highspeedtrain #intercity125 #lner #britishrail #britishrailways
(from https://www.instagram.com/p/CYd0lZhogxD/)

I believe this was announced as part of the 2021 range. It carries a price tag of around £300. Not exactly encouraging, given we're two days away from Hornby's 2022 range announcement!

-Peter

Established Member
Not sure when they were dispatched, but this is an example of Hornby's LNER HST Farewell train pack - the yellow bit round the front is questionable, to say the least...

(from https://www.instagram.com/p/CYd0lZhogxD/)

I believe this was announced as part of the 2021 range. It carries a price tag of around £300. Not exactly encouraging, given we're two days away from Hornby's 2022 range announcement!

-Peter
Yes these and the FGW pack were announced for the 2021 range and I would assume only just come in stock. The most obvious problem as that 254029 should only be on one power car as the other was a 253 number.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Piko are making an ICE 3...

There's just one, slight, minor issue called Amtrak Phase 3

Iskra

Established Member
Plenty of newly announced items from Bachmann and Graham Farish today, on my phone so I will just post a link and then probably comment further later on.

Established Member
Very exciting announcement from Revolution trains today with ready to run models of the 175 and 180 in both N and OO gauge!

Images of the CAD are available on the link.
Posted on 25/02/2022 by Ben Ando

Revolution goes ahead – with Adelante and Coradia!​

Revolution Trains is offering the Class 180 ‘Adelante’ and Class 175 ‘Coradia’ units as its next multiple unit models in both 00 and N.

Both families of units were buit by Alstom in Birmingham and share numerous similarities in design, meaning that many parts can be shared between the models to make them both viable.
CAD work on the N gauge models is almost complete; the 00 version will follow soon afterwards.
Prototype history
The Class 175 and Class 180 are both members of the Alstom Coradia family of units and share many common features and parts.
27 Class 175 units, in a mix of two and three car configurations, were ordered by First North Western in 1997 with the first delivered in 1999. They were used on services between Birmingham, Holyhead, Llandudno, Manchester and Barrow.

Later they transferred to Arriva Trains Wales and were introduced on the Welsh Marches line to Cardiff, reaching Fishguard and the Pembroke Coast. Since 2018 they have been in the service of Transport for Wales and are now seen from south west Wales and Holyhead across to Stockport, Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham International.

The Class 180 units are a 5-car 125mph high-speed express member Coradia family. 14 sets were ordered by First Great Western and given the brand name ‘Adelante’, which means ‘go ahead’ in Spanish and explains our terrible headline pun above. Intended for high speed express services to sout Wales, they were plagued by technical problems and later used for fast commuter trains from Oxford, Gloucester and Exeter to London.

Between 2008 and 2020 Hull Trains used four Class 180s, though these units have recently been transferred to East Midlands railway and are now in use between London St Pancras, Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield.

In 2009 Grand Central introduced two units for its services between London Kings Cross, Sunderland and Bradford, and now has ten in operation in its striking black and orange livery.

Like the prototype, the Revolution Class 175 and 180 will share many common features, including full interiors, working and switchable headlights, tail lights and interior saloon lights as standard and kinematic power couplers allowing the entire train to be controlled by a single DCC decoder.

Class 175/1 three-car unit.
The models will be fitted with a low-profile chassis, allowing interiors to be depicted on all cars, and Next-18 (N) or Plux-22 (00) decoders. The decoder will accessed via an underfloor panel to make fitting or changing simple. In addition all models will be have factory-fitted speakers for simple sound upgrades.

DCC decoder socket and lighting control switches below the floor for easy access.
The Class 180s will have a similar specification to the 175s.

Revolution plans to offer a selection of versions, though the exact line up has not yet been confirmed.

The order book will be opening very shortly in both scales, and as ever we will be offering a low EarlyBird price to reward those who step up and pre-order.

Revolution Trains would like to thank Alsom, Transport for Wales and Grand Central for their assistance in producing this model.

Peter C

Established Member
Very exciting announcement from Revolution trains today with ready to run models of the 175 and 180 in both N and OO gauge!

Images of the CAD are available on the link.
Yes, yes, and yes again! This is brilliant. More modern-image stuff is always appreciated in OO gauge especially, and this is lovely to see for me in particular, living in the region which was (admittedly fairly briefly) served by Class 180s under First Great Western.
I'm looking forward to seeing the price, and how the models develop as a whole! :)

-Peter

Established Member
Yes, yes, and yes again! This is brilliant. More modern-image stuff is always appreciated in OO gauge especially, and this is lovely to see for me in particular, living in the region which was (admittedly fairly briefly) served by Class 180s under First Great Western.
I'm looking forward to seeing the price, and how the models develop as a whole! :)

-Peter
Now I get to see them a few times a week in Derby :lol: so will be looking forward to a EMR one (do I get a discount if it's 180110?). Looking at the map I never knew the 180's made it on Bristol, Cardiff and the West Country services.

RichJF

The "smaller" manufacturers seem to be coming up trumps with accurate modern image stock & items modellers actually want. Dare I say it, at the larger manufacturer's expense?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The "smaller" manufacturers seem to be coming up trumps with accurate modern image stock & items modellers actually want. Dare I say it, at the larger manufacturer's expense?

To be honest I kind of hope so because it needs to be shaken up a bit (within reason).

SCH117X

Established Member
Not if Hornby contuinue their "Its ours" attitude; expect a revamped red box 31.

Iskra

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know when the Accurascale 37's are due? Rails website says late 2020 :D