• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NHS app advertisments

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Just came across an advertisement on Youtube featuring somebody trying to get into the bar and being refused unless he scanned the app. Ended with the phrase "just get the app and scan the QR code. Not that difficult is it?"
I thought it was a joke but then it turned out to be an NHS advertisement. I'll try to find it and post it here.
I think this whole app tracking hing has gone way too far. Any thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Just came across an advertisement on Youtube featuring somebody trying to get into the bar and being refused unless he scanned the app. Ended with the phrase "just get the app and scan the QR code. Not that difficult is it?"
I thought it was a joke but then it turned out to be an NHS advertisement. I'll try to find it and post it here.
I agree, it has gone too far. It's not about the difficulty of scanning the app, I mind being tracked. Especially since, in a few weeks' time, there will be enough vaccines given plus unused appointments mean that the restrictions will have to go. Even if a different enabling act is used, the superfines will be shot.

My view is that I refuse to get involved in anything that could betray, even indirectly, my (now wilful) lack of vaccination.

Then again, I have adblock on so I wouldn't notice the NHS ad anyhow.

davews

And for somebody without a smartphone... I have had no issues just giving my name and phone number for them to input to their system. But several times watching the chap in front spending several minutes failing to do it with the QR code and asking for help.

kristiang85

Established Member
I do worry that after a year of using the app, I will get an urgent letter from my doctor saying "you have been to 200 pubs in the past year - here is your mandatory appointment with alcholics anonymous" :D

hst43102

I agree, it has gone too far. It's not about the difficulty of scanning the app, I mind being tracked. Especially since, in a few weeks' time, there will be enough vaccines given plus unused appointments mean that the restrictions will have to go. Even if a different enabling act is used, the superfines will be shot.

My view is that I refuse to get involved in anything that could betray, even indirectly, my (now wilful) lack of vaccination.

Then again, I have adblock on so I wouldn't notice the NHS ad anyhow.
Exactly. I worry that the government surveillance and tracking might be one of the things that doesn't disappear after this crisis is over. After all, throughout history, when a government gains new powers over people, how often do they later give them up?

MikeWM

Established Member

Fairly standard psychological trick, that one - imply that the reason people aren't doing something is trivial and therefore their objection/refusal is unfounded. Whereas actually they have far better reasons for not doing so than the 'silly' reason given.

That works on some people, unfortunately.

island

Veteran Member
It’s worth noting that using the NHS COVID19 app is less risky than the alternative of giving details manually, as an exposure notification from the app does not legally oblige the holder to self-isolate, whereas one from the test & trace service does.

Established Member
It’s worth noting that using the NHS COVID19 app is less risky than the alternative of giving details manually, as an exposure notification from the app does not legally oblige the holder to self-isolate, whereas one from the test & trace service does.
That very much depends on if they can contact you.

DelayRepay

Established Member
You can also delete check-ins straight away, and so will receive no exposure notifications.

Kite159

Veteran Member

That's assuming you give the correct details when you sign in manually.
Even if the correct name, some people leave the wrong phone number or change their address slightly.

Non Multi

The public information department for the Department of Health is a out of control monster right now. Some of their current work could have been produced by Scarfolk Council, and frankly I don't see it being of any benefit to anyone. It's unbelievably dystopian.

island

Veteran Member
That's assuming you give the correct details when you sign in manually.
Even if the correct name, some people leave the wrong phone number or change their address slightly.
That’s an offence.

Bantamzen

Established Member
That’s an offence.
How would you prove that if someone did it? For example someone might accidentally use an old number, or simply misremember a current one. Moreover someone might also be concerned that their data may not be secure, for example late last year having given my details to a venue that didn't have a QR code, I started to get a series of spoof calls from numbers all using the first five digits of my mobile, and the final 6 closely around mine too. Clearly a scammer attempt which I didn't respond to, and the weakest link in my data chain was this venue.

So frankly I don't blame people for giving incorrect details.

SteveM70

Established Member
You can also delete check-ins straight away, and so will receive no exposure notifications.

I didn’t know this.

So an app has built, presumably at great expense, that allows a user to simply delete the data it has been designed to capture? Or am I being thick again?

Bantamzen

Established Member
I didn’t know this.

So an app has built, presumably at great expense, that allows a user to simply delete the data it has been designed to capture? Or am I being thick again?
I a word, yes. The government did want the data to be uploaded to a central database, but this goes against the terms and conditions of Apple & Google who developed the API on which the app is built. However, even if the app didn't have this functionality, you could simply delete & re-install the app to have the same effect. At least with it built in, if you scan into a venue then for some reason leave almost immediately you have the option to simply kill the venue off the list.

nlogax

Established Member
I started to get a series of spoof calls from numbers all using the first five digits of my mobile, and the final 6 closely around mine too. Clearly a scammer attempt which I didn't respond to, and the weakest link in my data chain was this venue.

That may be a coincidence. I've not checked into anywhere or given my personal number to a business in months and my phone only started receiving those neighbour spoofing calls two weeks ago. This issue has been on the rise for the last two or three years and scammers can obtain in-use numbers from any number of sources.

Bantamzen

Established Member
That may be a coincidence. I've not checked into anywhere or given my personal number to a business in months and my phone only started receiving those neighbour spoofing calls two weeks ago. This issue has been on the rise for the last two or three years and scammers can obtain in-use numbers from any number of sources.
Oh it may be, and it is almost certainly something I couldn't easily prove. But I do manage my online accounts / passwords etc through a password application so I know when & where I share contact details so I can report any potential issues should they arise. It is of course possible that it was as a result of a direct hack to one or more companies, but some of the non-digital methods for collection of T&T data were shall we say less than secure. The one in question was a book that was filled in at the entrance, and where you could easily see other people's entries.

kristiang85

Established Member

I'm getting around 5 nuicance calls a day. It's blooming annoying. I've had my number since 1998 so I'm loathe to change it :D I've downloaded TrueCaller which helps a lot though.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I a word, yes. The government did want the data to be uploaded to a central database, but this goes against the terms and conditions of Apple & Google who developed the API on which the app is built. However, even if the app didn't have this functionality, you could simply delete & re-install the app to have the same effect. At least with it built in, if you scan into a venue then for some reason leave almost immediately you have the option to simply kill the venue off the list.
It was so people who were victims of domestic violence could hide where they have been

dosxuk

Established Member
Oh it may be, and it is almost certainly something I couldn't easily prove. But I do manage my online accounts / passwords etc through a password application so I know when & where I share contact details so I can report any potential issues should they arise. It is of course possible that it was as a result of a direct hack to one or more companies, but some of the non-digital methods for collection of T&T data were shall we say less than secure. The one in question was a book that was filled in at the entrance, and where you could easily see other people's entries.

Finding active mobile phone numbers is trivial. Spoofing the caller ID is trivial. Automated calling from the cloud is trivial. Scammers don't need to go round peeking at signing in sheets to get mobile phone numbers, they just auto-dial them one-by-one. If it doesn't connect, remove it from the list of active numbers. If someone picks it up, mark it as a possible target. Those number lists get shared around and are easily available on the dark web to anyone who wants them.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Finding active mobile phone numbers is trivial. Spoofing the caller ID is trivial. Automated calling from the cloud is trivial. Scammers don't need to go round peeking at signing in sheets to get mobile phone numbers, they just auto-dial them one-by-one. If it doesn't connect, remove it from the list of active numbers. If someone picks it up, mark it as a possible target. Those number lists get shared around and are easily available on the dark web to anyone who wants them.
It isn't just scammers that might be using the data on display at some venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.