• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nightriders (1M11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock

Tonight I find oneself on the sleeper to London, the headcode being 1M11.

I remember 1M11 as one of the old Nightriders, in particular the blue (if I remember rightly) coloured lights on the old mark 2 d,e,f stock.

I also remember vaguely a sleeper service that was loco hauled originally but later reverted to a HST working from Glasgow Qst. - London but cannot recall the terminal point.

Does anyone else have memory's of these old Nightriders.., I Do enjoy recalling these memory's of mine once more when travelling on trains of old

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't have any memories but I did purchase a 2nd hand copy of a 1987 timetable, and this lists several "Nightrider" services, so I can look up what they were :)

It's amazing how many overnight / late trains ran compared to today!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I remember the nightriders but didn't actually travel on any, I seem to recall they were formed entirely of a rake of FO vehicles.

Yorkie is right regarding the number of late night/overnight services that ran. I picked up some timetables from the late 1970s earlier this year and they make a fascinating read. It does show how people's travel patterns have changed in the past 30 years.

Jeremy B

I sometimes traveled on these trains between Edinburgh & Newcastle in the mid 1980's. I remember one I frequently used on came from Aberdeen & would leave Edinburgh just before midnight. It was a very long train indeed with what appeared to be postal coaches then sleeper coaches & right at the rear would be 3 or4 first class open coaches with the blue lights - along the lines of what you see in supermarket toilets these days to deter drug users. The guard used to rush up & down checking the tickets of those who boarded before they went to sleep.

Established Member
Would be good to see overnight services returning, especially when things such as Megabus and overnight coaches are becoming increasingly popular.

Welshman

Established Member
Would be good to see overnight services returning, especially when things such as Megabus and overnight coaches are becoming increasingly popular.

Ironically, the need for overnight services has on some routes been removed by the speeding-up of daytime services.

For example, you can leave London about 2200, the time that some of the traditional night services were leaving, and still be home in Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff or Newcastle to sleep in your own bed!

Longer overnight services, for example to Scotland or Cornwall, are already provided by the sleepers.

QJ

Longer overnight services, for example to Scotland or Cornwall, are already provided by the sleepers.

Not when they would be of most use to me. Saturday nights/Sunday mornings. I miss all those magical mystery tours around the countryside on the diverted nocturnal services.

I remember only too well travelling on Nightrider trains. Usually travelling to or from railtours around Scotland. The harsh strip lighting had to be dimmed by the use of blue diffuser covers (of the type that is used in public lavatories to discourage intravenous drug users - on second thoughts perhaps that was the real reason for them and not to reduce the effects of sleep deprivation on passengers).

One Nightrider I travelled on to Aberdeen then became the stock for a crankex to Waterloo Goods hauled by a gronk (that replaced the Duff that brought the train in). The Nightrider on the way back south went via the Abbeyhill curve and a host of other ECML diversionary routes. The train spent more time off the ECML than on it.

They were introduced as a replacement for the more comfortable compo. mark 1 sets so was not impressed at the time. It didn't help that I was not a huge fan of class 47s or their electric equivalents.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I did use them a few times, in the days when one of the seated coaches was allowed to run with all the lights off. As soon as the rules changed and lights had to be left on all night I switched to using the Sleeper berths.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Ironically, the need for overnight services has on some routes been removed by the speeding-up of daytime services.

For example, you can leave London about 2200, the time that some of the traditional night services were leaving, and still be home in Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff or Newcastle to sleep in your own bed!

True. I think it's quite amazing that the Swansea/Milford sleeper continued for as long as it did after HST's brought the journey time down in the mid 70's.

flymo

Established Member
I seem to recall traveling on the WCML Nightrider in the mid 80's but can't remember now about the ECML one. 2335 off Euston, first setting down point Motherwell then Glasgow Central at around 0600. It also had a few pickups at Watford Jn, Milton Keynes and I think Rubgy. The up one left Glasgow C at around 2300 or so and got into Euston at shortly after 0530.

Marvellous adventures they were....:D

Edit, just been looking in the '84 TT to check some times and found a Nightrider advert in there. Cracking!!

Attachments

• Nightrider.jpg
    Nightrider.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Jeremy B

I just found my diary from 1985 & from a couple of entries in it not all of these overnight trains between London - Edinburgh had first open coaches. I traveled on the 00.05 from Kings Cross on the 17-May-85 which I scribbled a diary entry to avoid in future as it was all second class :roll: Another occasion was traveling on the 23.25 from Kings Cross on the 17-July-85. It too was all second class according to the diary & was notable for the entry 'diverted via the Blyth & Tyne, check for more diversions'

David

Established Member
Just going from the Hellfire 1981 timetable, there was loads of overnight journeys. I've not got the game install currently, so I'm going by memory here ....

ECML services ....

1S60, 1S66, 1S72 and 1S79 to Edinburgh and Aberdeen, with the 1E35, 1E39, 1E40, 1E42, 1E43 and 1E48 heading south. Also there was services to/from Leeds and Newcastle as well

WCML services

1S05, 1S06, 1S07, 1S19 and 1S25 to Glasgow, Fort William, Stranraer and Perth, with 1M10, 1M11, 1M14, 1M15 and 1M16 being the opposite workings. Other services included to Holyhead and Carlisle.

Cross Country had 1E38/1V50 between Newcastle and Bristol plus 1S18/1V57 Between Bristol and Glasgow.

Then off course you had all the additional overnight services on the Friday and Saturday.

There's a lot more in the game, but as I said, I haven't got it installed, so I'm going by memory

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone have any pictures of these workings, or know the location of any pictures?

Also, what used to work them? 47's?

kyrano

i remember the blue lagoon sleeper in the 80s for its blue lights, got on it at Doncaster 47402 my lordz the good old days...
Tonight I find oneself on the sleeper to London, the headcode being 1M11. I remember 1M11 as one of the old Nightriders, in particular the blue (if I remember rightly) coloured lights on the old mark 2 d,e,f stock. I also remember vaguely a sleeper service that was loco hauled originally but later reverted to a HST working from Glasgow Qst. - London but cannot recall the terminal point. Does anyone else have memory's of these old Nightriders.., I Do enjoy recalling these memory's of mine once more when travelling on trains of old
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone have any pictures of these workings, or know the location of any pictures? Also, what used to work them? 47's?
they where worked by 47 generators !!!!
Donny to Edinburgh then a boiler 37 to ardlui my lords.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just going from the Hellfire 1981 timetable, there was loads of overnight journeys. I've not got the game install currently, so I'm going by memory here .... ECML services .... 1S60, 1S66, 1S72 and 1S79 to Edinburgh and Aberdeen, with the 1E35, 1E39, 1E40, 1E42, 1E43 and 1E48 heading south. Also there was services to/from Leeds and Newcastle as well WCML services 1S05, 1S06, 1S07, 1S19 and 1S25 to Glasgow, Fort William, Stranraer and Perth, with 1M10, 1M11, 1M14, 1M15 and 1M16 being the opposite workings. Other services included to Holyhead and Carlisle. Cross Country had 1E38/1V50 between Newcastle and Bristol plus 1S18/1V57 Between Bristol and Glasgow. Then off course you had all the additional overnight services on the Friday and Saturday. There's a lot more in the game, but as I said, I haven't got it installed, so I'm going by memory

there was a kx Edinburgh via leeds arrived at 2pm with boilererd 47 203 old mk 1s steam from the pipes on each coach bloody hell you missed the good old days ...

12CSVT

Established Member
1M11 used to have sleeping cars (and quite often one or two seated coaches) attached at Carlisle, quite a handy way of getting some of the Kingmoor based class 08s for haulage !

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Also, what used to work them? 47's?

On several occasions in the second half of the 1980s when I got an early train from Paddington and changed at Bristol Parkway for Temple Meads the connection was the Sleeper hauled by a 45... :D

Downsman

Gosh!! This thread reminds me of the early 1970’s when I travelled by Motorail from London(Euston) to Stirling. Returning to West Sussex from a holiday in the New Forest, I ‘dumped’ the family at home and after a meal drove up to Euston.

The receptionist in the underground car park was amused that I had a sprig of heather on the front of my car; he thought I was going the wrong way! I told him that I was taking Hampshire heather to Scotland to show them what the real stuff looked like.

Although the single sleeper compartment was well equipped, sleep was impossible. On arrival at Stirling, I was thankful to be provided with a full breakfast in the station buffet (I believe it was included in the ticket price), including plenty of strong coffee, before driving away.

Status
Not open for further replies.