• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No 1 and 2 cabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Really?.....I can't see ASLEF having agreed to its members driving a loco which only had a heater in one cab!
Aplogies, after re-reading the page on "Lion" on Derby Sulzers it wasn't that only one cab was heated but that the design of the cab heating system allowed only one cab to be heated at any one time. A slight misread on my part

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
Are there any cases on MUs where which end the driver is at affects the stop position? For example, getting the wheelchair space door aligned with a Harrington hump? Though units aren't generally turned round so that's probably quite unusual?
In the number 2 end of a 153 you had to be mindful of where you were stopping the train in relation to an aws magnet

TheEdge

Established Member
IIRC, the AWS magnet on a 153 is located more or less in the centre of the vehicle.

No, its in the correct place for the big cab end, which means its far far far further back than normal when driving from the small cab. When we still had them on GA you had to be careful stopping at Hoveton & Wroxham heading towards Norwich as it was quite easy to stop in just the right place in the small cab to have the magnet sat over the track magnet, which could case issues.

LowLevel

Established Member
No, its in the correct place for the big cab end, which means its far far far further back than normal when driving from the small cab. When we still had them on GA you had to be careful stopping at Hoveton & Wroxham heading towards Norwich as it was quite easy to stop in just the right place in the small cab to have the magnet sat over the track magnet, which could case issues.

I was always told in dispatch school that if you were shunting a single 153 you had to be particularly careful because if you did stop it on the AWS magnet you would effectively kill the unit as it would have to be isolated to move it off again which requires a fitter to reset. Never have found out in person either as a dispatcher or a guard, luckily, but I always was bloody careful drawing them down if the small end was leading :lol:

All the units I've worked (15x, 170) have had a numbered end to each vehicle including the centre cars. On a 170 centre car it is as if the vehicle had a cab - IE the main MCB cupboard is the number 2 end.

delticdave

Really?.....I can't see ASLEF having agreed to its members driving a loco which only had a heater in one cab!
AFAIK Lion was only ever driven from no. 1 cab, the rear cab was always connected (cabled) to the test train.
It was only a prototype, probably never powered a scheduled train.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I suspect all the ex SR DEMU classes 201-207 had each ends classed differently with the engine compartment/ brake van present.
Most notable with an upside down triangle symbol at one end.
The triangle didn't denote that end was a motor coach. It denoted the other end didn't have a guards van
The 201s didn't have triangles, because there was always a guards van at the other end

Tomnick

Established Member
I was always told in dispatch school that if you were shunting a single 153 you had to be particularly careful because if you did stop it on the AWS magnet you would effectively kill the unit as it would have to be isolated to move it off again which requires a fitter to reset. Never have found out in person either as a dispatcher or a guard, luckily, but I always was bloody careful drawing them down if the small end was leading :lol:
I know (very well!) someone who has managed to do it, on the test magnet coming off a depot, fortunately with another unit due off shortly after which was able to drag it back!

Journeyman

Established Member
Bulleid's Leader obviously had two cabs, but the one at the chimney end rapidly got so hot that staff refused to use it, and all trials were done with the tender end leading.

Status
Not open for further replies.