• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"No smoking" seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta-toget

As a follow-on to the thread about Tyne and Wear + National Rail fares, I was fiddling about for myself on TPE, and I noticed they had decided to reserve a non-smoking seat on a CrossCountry service from Birmingham New Street to Newcastle (arriving 14.27 on a Sunday). Is this a system error, or have they classified all their seats as non-smoking, or what? I haven't checked any other retailers, yet, but I might do so at some point.
See an image, below (irrelevant/identifying information redacted):
Seat Reservation page for Transpennine Express, showing a reservation for a redacted seat and route billed as Quiet coach, Window, Forwards, Table.  Below it, a reservation is show for Birmingham New Street to Newcastle in Coach D, Seat 48A, billed as Table, No smoking, Window, Airline.  The No smoking part was underlined in red for emphasis.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dgl

Established Member
Well the 180's are still in service, might get a smoking seat still.

alistairlees

Established Member
It’s in the data as a seat attribute still. It should just be ignored by booking sites.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I'd assume the flag is still in there for backwards compatibility reasons, given the National Reservations System (NRS) replaced the old BR Computer Reservations System (CRS) in late 2004, and itself is in the process of being replaced by the Rail Availability and Reservations Service (RARS2), yet the underlying vehicle data is presumably still obtained from TOPS/GEMINI.

SargeNpton

Established Member
In the same vein, you still get illuminated No Smoking signs on modern aircraft - just that these days they are permanently illuminated.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In the same vein, you still get illuminated No Smoking signs on modern aircraft - just that these days they are permanently illuminated.

I remember on one holiday flight the Smoking/No Smoking divide was just a random row of seats; my Dad smoked and we sat in the rear-most row of seats in the no-smoking section; the row immediately behind us was No Smoking; the people sat in it were not very impressed...

MichaelAMW

One of the more confusing reservation issues is that the field for Forward, Back or Airline is apparently still used, with (I think) all seat now "A". Of course, it seems to sometimes fool people into thinking they are reserved in the coach of that letter.

AY1975

Established Member
Well the 180's are still in service, might get a smoking seat still.
I didn't think the 180s ever had any smoking accommodation. In fact, AFAIK all trains that have entered service since privatisation have always been completely non-smoking.

dgl

Established Member
I didn't think the 180s ever had any smoking accommodation. In fact, AFAIK all trains that have entered service since privatisation have always been completely non-smoking.
It was a joke pertaining to their tendency to catch fire!

MattA7

I remember there being smoking on a trains from Glasgow to London in 2001 (or at least the one I was on) so there must have still been some operators post privatization that allowed smoking. My memory of the journey is vague as I was only 7 at the time.

kristiang85

Established Member

I've noticed recently on more modern aircraft they have *finally* been replaced with device icons, to show when you can turn on/turn off your larger devices.

MattA7

Interestingly it is still a legal requirement for airplane bathrooms to have a ashtray fitted. The reasoning behind this is Incase someone decides that they are going to smoke anyway it’s better that they have something to safely dispose of the cigarette rather than improvise risking a fire. Some jurisdictions in the US also have a similar requirement for non-smoking hotel rooms

philthetube

Established Member
Interestingly it is still a legal requirement for airplane bathrooms to have a ashtray fitted. The reasoning behind this is Incase someone decides that they are going to smoke anyway it’s better that they have something to safely dispose of the cigarette rather than improvise risking a fire. Some jurisdictions in the US also have a similar requirement for non-smoking hotel rooms
This is an English forum for English people, to misquote little Britain :D :D :D
Apologies if this means nothing to you Matt, just a feference to a British comedy show.

SargeNpton

Established Member
This is an English forum for English people, to misquote little Britain :D :D :D
Apologies if this means nothing to you Matt, just a feference to a British comedy show.
Or are you mis-quoting the League of Gentlemen?

AY1975

Established Member
I remember there being smoking on a trains from Glasgow to London in 2001 (or at least the one I was on) so there must have still been some operators post privatization that allowed smoking. My memory of the journey is vague as I was only 7 at the time.
Yes there were, but at that time they were still using the legacy train fleets that they had inherited from BR. What I meant was that no trains that were built since privatisation have ever had smoking accommodation.

There is a separate thread on when smoking accommodation was abolished at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/when-was-smoking-abolished-on-national-rail-services.213085/

Status
Not open for further replies.