• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No through SWR services Exeter Waterloo on 09/08/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyJ

Is anyone able to tell me the reason that there are no services through from Waterloo to or from Exeter on Mon 9th Aug 2021 only pls? Exeter services are only going to from Basingstoke it seems. What is the reason?
Will my ticket “via Honiton” be valid on Paddington services that day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
No. Why would it be valid on Paddington services west of Reading? There are still trains from Exeter to Basingstoke with onward connections for Waterloo.

DorkingMain

Is anyone able to tell me the reason that there are no services through from Waterloo to or from Exeter on Mon 9th Aug 2021 only pls? Exeter services are only going to from Basingstoke it seems. What is the reason?
The mainline via Weybridge will be closed that day, so all fast services will be diverted via the Byfleet Curve + Staines.

With diesels they are now simply turned back at Basingstoke, because of very few crew having competency on diesels *and* the Windsor side.

I can't see any notes about GWR ticket acceptance. The official line will be that you'd need to change at Basingstoke and take one of the diverted electric services.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

A quick check of the SWR Website shows engineering work at Weybridge that day. Exeter services starting/terminating at Basingstoke where connections can be made for Waterloo.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I might be wrong and I’m sure others can confirm, but surely a via Honiton ticket is also valid via Reading regardless? I think there’s also extra SWR services to Reading from the Salisbury direction to facilitate this.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Starting the Waterloo-Salisbury/Yeovil/Exeter services at Basingstoke is pretty much standard practice whenever engineering work reduces capacity on the route between Waterloo-Basingstoke. Happens several times each year.

RPI

Established Member
I might be wrong and I’m sure others can confirm, but surely a via Honiton ticket is also valid via Reading regardless? I think there’s also extra SWR services to Reading from the Salisbury direction to facilitate this.
Yes you could technically go Paddington to Reading then Reading to Basingstoke and Basingstoke to Exeter Via Honiton

TommyJ

The mainline via Weybridge will be closed that day, so all fast services will be diverted via the Byfleet Curve + Staines.

With diesels they are now simply turned back at Basingstoke, because of very few crew having competency on diesels *and* the Windsor side.

I can't see any notes about GWR ticket acceptance. The official line will be that you'd need to change at Basingstoke and take one of the diverted electric services.
Thanks so much for this. Makes it clear. I wish the ToCs would have put a note to that effect.

No. Why would it be valid on Paddington services west of Reading? There are still trains from Exeter to Basingstoke with onward connections for Waterloo.
Because when I purchased the ticket (through GWR) I clicked the price and whilst the conditions on the e-ticket state “via Honiton” the system indicated that I should go via St David’s on to a Paddington train and gave me reservations for the Paddington train.

Thanks so much for this. Makes it clear. I wish the ToCs would have put a note to that effect.

Because when I purchased the ticket (through GWR) I clicked the price and whilst the conditions on the e-ticket state “via Honiton” the system indicated that I should go via St David’s on to a Paddington train and gave me reservations for the Paddington train.

Attachments

• 8ABF625D-6DA1-4D37-9D61-C664DC5B6D74.jpeg
    8ABF625D-6DA1-4D37-9D61-C664DC5B6D74.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 64

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Seems very odd for a ticket via Honiton to be issued for a different route - if you made the reservations you at least have something to show to the person inspecting tickets - but the lack of through services when connections are still available at Basingstoke seems like a very weak reason for the extension of ticket acceptance.

TommyJ

Seems very odd for a ticket via Honiton to be issued for a different route - if you made the reservations you at least have something to show to the person inspecting tickets - but the lack of through services when connections are still available at Basingstoke seems like a very weak reason for the extension of ticket acceptance.
Thanks. Yes, to be honest I am quite confused by the whole thing.
I don’t really want to get to Pad and then have to argue with gateline staff! On the other hand I’d like to get the Pad train if my ticket is valid.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

If you're sold a ticket on a given itinerary, it is contractually valid that way, whether intended or not.

I suspect there is a temporary electronic easement in place which is allowing 'via Honiton' tickets to be offered for travel via Taunton. But ultimately that's not your concern.

GWR must accept the ticket as-is, but even in the worst case scenario where a guard etc. incorrectly rejects the ticket, the most you could be required to pay is the relevant difference in fares. Which would be half the difference for a one-way excess, if you have a return ticket.

If 'gentle persuasion' fails, pay what is demanded and complain to GWR afterwards.

TommyJ

If you're sold a ticket on a given itinerary, it is contractually valid that way, whether intended or not.

I suspect there is a temporary electronic easement in place which is allowing 'via Honiton' tickets to be offered for travel via Taunton. But ultimately that's not your concern.

GWR must accept the ticket as-is, but even in the worst case scenario where a guard etc. incorrectly rejects the ticket, the most you could be required to pay is the relevant difference in fares. Which would be half the difference for a one-way excess, if you have a return ticket.

If 'gentle persuasion' fails, pay what is demanded and complain to GWR afterwards.
Thanks very much for this. I will do that.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I did exactly this with Avanti West Coast and CrossCountry a few times - if they sell you a ticket and give you an itinerary then they must honour that itinerary even if technically invalid.

RPI

Established Member
Yes, if you were given reservations then the ticket should be honoured and will be perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.