• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No Time to Die, am I missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
That's impressive! Is that a weekday afternoon price?

Probably the same, though I've been a handful of times over the last 15 years. I remember Skyfall being rather too loud, but I think that used to be a generic problem with that screen...
It's a MyOdeon Saver ticket.

Cinemas are supposed to be loud. I like to feel the bass through my seat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I saw it in Jersey yesterday and was quite perplexed by the ending.

I note the MGM and Universal Logos are displayed at the start - whatever happened to United Artists ?

Annoyingly they did not play the Universal Jingle but just the silent version.

nlogax

Established Member
....and how have Universal got in on the Act ?
Universal won the contract for international distribution of NTTD. United Artists hasn't graced the credits of a Bond movie since the late 90s, though for US domestic audiences they're back as the new name for MGM's domestic distribution partnership with Annapurna.

You should expect the next Bond movie to be prefixed with an Amazon Studios opening credit as only some regulatory stuff stands between them and the approval for their purchase of MGM.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Just got back from watching the movie (plus a visit to an exhibition at the British Museum). Really liked it. I can see where.....

"... the fuss over Bond becoming a woman comes from, with the new female "007". But it makes sense in the context of the Bond universe. There are supposed be 9 00s. So it makes sense that if one retires/is killed their code number is taken by a new agent."

Really, really like the cinema refit. Huge leather seats that electronically recline, and legs rests that you can put up. I put it back as far as possible, and put my feet up. Almost like being at home. And plenty of space between the rows too. Think I'll go there again.

MattRat

On Moderation
Just got back from watching the movie (plus a visit to an exhibition at the British Museum). Really liked it. I can see where.....

"... the fuss over Bond becoming a woman comes from, with the new female "007". But it makes sense in the context of the Bond universe. There are supposed be 9 00s. So it makes sense that if one retires/is killed their code number is taken by a new agent."
Well, there also that other spoiler thing that happened, which I think could have worked had it been the last ever Bond movie, but it isn't so it doesn't, if that makes sense.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Well, there also that other spoiler thing that happened, which I think could have worked had it been the last ever Bond movie, but it isn't so it doesn't, if that makes sense.
Indeed. Seems an odd choice given Daniel Craig was leaving anyway, and we know someone else is going to take over. Interested to see what the plot of the next movie actually is.

MattRat

On Moderation
Indeed. Seems an odd choice given Daniel Craig was leaving anyway, and we know someone else is going to take over. Interested to see what the plot of the next movie actually is.
I'd rather they just end the franchise. Money dictates they won't, but all good things should come to an end. Then we can promote new and unique IPs instead.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I'd always thought "Bond" was the code name for the top agent, who changed over time. Skyfall ruined that idea though!

Wasn't there a line somewhere in one of the classic Bonds (I think it may have been around the time the Judi Dench became M) that referred to previous 007's, and which seemed to imply that James Bond is a codename and different people take on that role? Or have I mis-remembered?

Agree in general about lack of continuity. I guess one thing here is that the film franchise started in the early 60s, and continuity just wasn't a big thing in those days.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Wasn't there a line somewhere in one of the classic Bonds (I think it may have been around the time the Judi Dench became M) that referred to previous 007's, and which seemed to imply that James Bond is a codename and different people take on that role? Or have I mis-remembered?
Lazenby said something like "this never happened to the other guy" which has been interpreted in that way. Some think he ad libbed it though.

nlogax

Established Member
Saw on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be interesting to see how the franchise deals with the Thing that Happened. Am returning for a second viewing on Saturday to get all the bits I missed first time around.

As an aside the film made for a good demo of D-BOX seats. Was definitely thrown around a bit!

Farang

I've just seen it and, boy, is it turgid. Made me long for the days of Roger Moore simultaneously raising an eyebrow and dangling a fish between thumb and forefinger whilst emerging from the Med. at the wheel of his Lotus Esprit. Craig played Bond as a thug with issues. Glad he's in the past tense now.

MikeWM

Established Member
Gave it a second go last night, and my opinion has dropped quite a bit from viewing #1, for three reasons:

1. I've no idea what the motivation of the villain was - I'd assumed I missed it the first time, but apparently not. I get why he killed off Spectre, but what's he actually up to at the end? Q finds lists of lots of people on a USB and 'needs more time to work out who they are' - but I don't think he ever tells us? Then it appears from the computer readouts he's intending to kill millions (so probably different people from the people on the lists Q finds), but who? And why? 'To make the world a little tidier' doesn't make sense when you have a weapon that is explicitly for targeting at specific people or groups.

2. I *really* don't like James Bond just giving up because he (thinks he) can't ever get together with his girlfriend and their kid again. (Maybe he also thinks he's a goner from his wounds, but I'm not convinced the film shows that). First time around you're a bit too caught up in what's going on to really examine this, but it's really poor on a subsequent viewing.

3. It's another case - far too common in films nowadays - where the situation would probably have turned out better if the 'hero' hadn't got involved at all. Without Bond, 007 would probably have caught defector-guy (either in Santiago, or wherever else he went if that party didn't happen because Bond wasn't going to be there) and hauled him back to London, film over.

All that said, I do really like the Jack London quote near the end 'The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.' Very relevant to the current world, even if accidentally so.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Anyone got any suggestions about who should replace Daniel Craig for the next Bond outing ?
I already created a shortlist:
Henry Cavill - Was runner up to Craig in 2005, right age range but may have a full diary.
Fionn Whitehead - Did a really good job in Dunkirk and Black Mirror, BUT, a bit too young and a bit too pretty boy. Also needs some meat on him.
Tom Hardy - Would be a similar Bond to Cavill, but like Elba, age is against him.
John Boyega - A bit young now but by the time fingers are pulled out, would be in the right age range. Also would help put disney SW behind him.
Chris Hemsworth - Made an excellent James Hunt in Rush, correct age range too and the best Bond was played by an Aussie.

Spamcan81

Some online commentators are saying the way they handled Craig's exit was so they could introduce an ethnically diverse Bond. I don't see why they need to pull things like that as I was completely fine with Idris Elba replacing Daniel Craig after Spectre, but now he's too old (Well done Barbara). So with that, I have created a list of Craig replacements;

Henry Cavill - Was runner up to Craig in 2005, right age range but may have a full diary.
Fionn Whitehead - Did a really good job in Dunkirk and Black Mirror, BUT, a bit too young and a bit too pretty boy. Also needs some meat on him.
Tom Hardy - Would be a similar Bond to Cavill, but like Elba, age is against him.
John Boyega - A bit young now but by the time fingers are pulled out, would be in the right age range. Also would help put disney SW behind him.
Chris Hemsworth - Made an excellent James Hunt in Rush, correct age range too and the best Bond was played by an Aussie.
George Lazenby? I thought he was dire.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I saw it yesterday and thought it was alright to be honest. Yes, not a typical Bond film but you cannot have a typical Bond film these days. I would suggest the following:

a) The film shouldn't allow for a move to a female James (Jane) Bond but should allow the move to a new part of the franchise where 007 or A.N.Other numbered 00 is female as Lashana Lynch as Nomi was good in that role IMO

b) Was this the first time James Bond is shown dying on camera?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Lashana Lynch was horribly underwritten, given only token parts in basic gunfights, doesn't use any gadgets (she's a 007..??), had no on-screen chemistry...not her fault but if she returns the writers have to give her a proper part.

de Armas was excellent and should have been the Bond girl except we aren't allowed a Bond girl any more. We got Seydoux in her mum jeans stinking up every scene with her total lack of character.

nlogax

Established Member
Lashana Lynch was horribly underwritten, given only token parts in basic gunfights, doesn't use any gadgets (she's a 007..??), had no on-screen chemistry...not her fault but if she returns the writers have to give her a proper part.

I can somewhat appreciate the 'why' here, ultimately it wasn't her story. She at least got an Aston Martin and a fancy grappling hook but any further backstory would have detracted from Craig bowing out - or at least given the editors even more of a headache than they've already had keeping the thing under three hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.