• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noisiest locos, DMU, EMU past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
What would you say are the nosiest trains across the sub-divisions of locos, DMUs, DEMUs and EMUs in the UK? In terms of stock both of the present and of the past.

This thread is for opinions on the noise levels, not necessarily the best sounding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dosxuk

Established Member
I was going to say the 80x's are pretty unbeatable for the size of their noses, but then you started taking about noise levels and now I'm confused :p

HSP 2

If you are talking about noise then the class 68s have got to be up there for a modern diesel.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Cl43 with the original Paxman Valenta engines had a superb, subjectively very loud scream - and you got two in each train so you can add 3dB just for that!

DustyBin

Established Member
These are my nominations:

Loco - Class 56

DMU - Class 156 (and related sprinters)

DEMU - Class 205 (and related thumpers) or Class 253/254 (at risk of derailing the thread!)

EMU - Class 319 (and any other DC motored stock that growls at low speed and screams at high speed!)

I should mention the APT-E as although I never heard it I expect it made a right racket!

Tracked

Established Member
Diesel; Class 68's, early last year before Covid hit I did Manchester-Huddersfield on one, certainly fun to listen to through the tunnels (and in the station). Maybe not quite as loud as PV 43's though.

Electric; 91's are/were quite loud setting off. Can't quite remember what 92's were like, think one was on the Caledonian when I saw it going through Doncaster once in 2019, but it was early in the morning.

Western 52

Class 175 are very loud outside but not bad inside. Class 150 are noisy inside and outside! Years ago a class 52 accelerating a heavy train was particularly loud, and class 37s heading up the valleys on coal empties were deafening!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The various gas turbine locos must have made quite a roar. Likewise the Fell loco with its multiple engines and convoluted gear box!

Stathern Jc

Deltics were always the best for me.
But I always used to enjoy travelling out of St Pancras behind a Peak (in the first coach with the windows open of course). They would be getting into their stride up the hill and singing nicely when they hit Belsize tunnel. Now that did sound good!

CW2

Established Member
Past: 25-27 (especially when paired), 40, 55, 81-85
Present: 68

Richard Scott

Established Member
From personal experience 50s and 56s, heard both from my mother's house, which is a considerable distance from the Railway line. Not heard other classes at that distance. Can't comment on 55s as never came this way!
Sure 56s even had some sort of silencing, can't have been very effective!
If allowed outside of UK got to be JZ 664s, those things can be heard for miles, literally!

Master Cutler

For noise alone, the Derby Woks DMUs with the Leyland engines took some beating.
Climbing the gradient through Rhosymedre on the Chirk Ruabon line back in the 60s, I remember these DMUs could be heard for miles.

Locos: Cl-92 seem very loud when stationery given that they'r electric
DMUs: Definitely cl-150. Absolutely deafening imo
EMUs: LTs A60/A62 always seemed louaer than others when stationery as the compressor had a habit of cutting in soon after the train stopped. Internally the Pendelinos are noisy due to the air conditioning

D6130

Established Member
Double-headed 56s awakening the dead through Hebden Bridge at 06 20 on the Lindsey-Preston bitumen tanks.......and even noisier when they clear the curve at Stansfield Hall Junction and the driver opens the throttle wide for the 1 in 63 climb to Copy Pit Summit - especially with the full load of 14 on. I envy/pity (depending on the individual's persuasion) the good folk of Cornholme and Portsmouth trying to sleep in their steep, narrow gorge with that passing through!

delt1c

Established Member
From a passenger situation took a lot to beat a Craven 105 at full power, not only engine and exhaust but luggage racks, window frames every nut , bolt , rivet and even the crews false teeth

Ben Bow

"Snipped" 45's were the loudest, 45106 being the loudest of the loud, end of.... next!...

On Moderation
Diesel locos: plenty to go at - Classes 37 and Valenta 43; Class 68 of the modern stuff
Electric locos: Class 92. The blowers on full chat are very, very noisy.
DMU: Class 185
DEMU: The 4SRKT engines in Classes 201-207

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Locos - I could hear 50s from the house I grew up in, and we were 4miles from the line. Could hear nothing else (rail vehicle wise!)

DustyBin

Established Member
Are the the Classic EE and Sulzer engined locos louder than a 56? They’re definitely loud but they sound very different which makes it difficult to tell. It’s the scream the 56s make that sets them apart IMO but whether they’re actually louder in terms of decibels generated I couldn’t say. The same goes for the 68s, they sound nothing like a 56 so it’s difficult to compare. Anybody got a dB meter? ;)

Richard Scott

Established Member
Are the the Classic EE and Sulzer engined locos louder than a 56? They’re definitely loud but they sound very different which makes it difficult to tell. It’s the scream the 56s make that sets them apart IMO but whether they’re actually louder in terms of decibels generated I couldn’t say. The same goes for the 68s, they sound nothing like a 56 so it’s difficult to compare. Anybody got a dB meter? ;)
It's also frequency that counts, low frequency sound travels better than high frequency and 56s and EE engines do emit quite a significant low frequency sound.

Ken H

On Moderation
To me it has to be an unsilenced 37. when the Cl 155 had the door problem they brought in Cl37 and 4 coaches for Cardiff Manchester. I was going from brum to mancester early one morning and the cross country service i used was late, so I hopped on a train to crewe. At Crewe the Cl37 came in a bit late. I went in the carriage behind the loco. The driver clearly had a grudge and gave it all. Very loud!

Master Cutler

In the coal hauling merry go round train days the 56s used to give it some serious thrash up the incline between Shireoaks and Worksop station.
The noise often sounded like the turbo chargers were about to explode.
I later found out that the turbo charges did go bang on some occasions.

Tynwald

EE locos did not have silencers, wheras class 56 did. Essentialy the 56 had the same v16 engine as in class 40 & 50.
The re engined 37's, 901 - 906 really take some beating, after the silencers were removed.

randyrippley

Established Member
HST power car, when new, with original cooling and exhaust.
On full power from a standing start the high pitched scream of the turbochargers was enough to affect your hearing badly for some time after. No other loco came near

Western 52

Triple 37s ascending Stormy Down with the former iron ore trains from Port Talbot were a noise that could be heard for miles. Later twin 56s on the same trains were almost as loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.