• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noisiest locos, DMU, EMU past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
How about the TPE class 397 emus? If you're sitting in the pantograph coach - subjecting yourself to all that electro-magnetic resonance - the noise of the vacuum circuit breaker opening and closing when passing through neutral sections is like a gun shot....and often makes the trolley attendants jump out of their skin, let alone the poor unsuspecting passengers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
To me, the pair of the WP&YR locos sound like a more raucous Western with the volume on 11... (I shot that video - they are very noisy, especially when the sound is reflected back from a solid wall of rock!)
There is a hint of a Western in that cacophony, but my ears just can't help but pick up on the resemblance to a 'screaming jimmy', particularly when powering up from rest.

Oh, and superbly shot if I may say so, although the diesel noise is the main attraction for me in that video. ;)

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
I’d like to throw the A60/62 Stocks in there for the desperately noisy compressor category.
The A stock was also very vocal when winding up to and at top speed. They're among my favourite Tube stocks for this reason, along with the 59/62 stocks.

Sounded more like an aero engine than anything else, to me.
There is a hint of aero engine in there too (a Napier Sabre or a RR Griffon maybe?), but I can't help but think 'Detroit Diesel' when I hear those WP&YR locos.

Purely for the sake of reference, this is what I had in mind:

(linked videos copyright of their respective owners)

fgwrich

Established Member
It's the exhaust setup on the 185s that makes them growl compared to a 220. The engine and turbo outputs are similarly rated

If you want noise from a QSK19, the place to be is the centre cabs of a 6 car 185 giving it full bore through Morley or Standedge tunnels. it sounds better westbound as the speed drops for the curve through Morley or Marsden stations then you get the distinctive growl as the train accelerates up to the 85 linespeed while in the tunnels. Eastbound the trains are pretty much already up to speed.

I miss working 185s.....

I've always liked the growl of the QSK19 under a 185, there's just something about them. Add in a good Turbo whistle while accelerating too, and it's no wonder why they are one of my favourite DMUs.

The loudest aspect of the 70s under power seems to be the traction motors, which would tie in with your jet engine description. While not at all common north of the border, Freightliner's 70s have always seemed to be far more vocal in this respect than the Colas examples (linked YT video from the HSTHoward channel).

I live a good distance around 2 miles from my nearest station and particularly on a very still day, you can hear a 70 work up the bank, then slow down through the station, then power up again as it heads towards Reading. Traction Motors over engine noise it may be, but given that the only two fleets I can hear do this are 70s and Voyagers, I still find that a small but impressive feat.

Diesel locos: plenty to go at - Classes 37 and Valenta 43; Class 68 of the modern stuff
Electric locos: Class 92. The blowers on full chat are very, very noisy.
DMU: Class 185
DEMU: The 4SRKT engines in Classes 201-207

I've always known how noisy the blowers of the 92s are, but stand anywhere along Princes Street in Edinburgh while the 92 performs it's run around and you can really get a sense of how utterly noisy they are. Incredible machines!

Two First Gen contenders I've not seen mentioned yet - the totally unsilenced Class 104 and the utterly droning Class 127. That exhaust rasp!

Last edited:

Dunfanaghy Rd

Back in 1993 I had to unhook E5001 from a railtour. I couldn't believe the row when the blowers started as it pulled away L||E. Maybe not the noisiest, but still ... ...
Pat

Strathclyder

Established Member
I live a good distance around 2 miles from my nearest station and particularly on a very still day, you can hear a 70 work up the bank, then slow down through the station, then power up again as it heads towards Reading. Traction Motors over engine noise it may be, but given that the only two fleets I can hear do this are 70s and Voyagers, I still find that a small but impressive feat.
Indeed. For the amount of flak they've gotten, they sound mighty impressive under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.