• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non existent station on departure board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I see "Holme Junction" (I think?) as a stopping point between Huntingdon and Peterborough on NRE sometimes.
Yep - there's a load of Sunday trains that have that one in as a passenger stop. It's where the Northbound slow line merges in to the fast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member
Happens in Scotland too.

Usan and Cowlairs often appear from time to time despite having no station there.

Must be to do with the timings and scheduled stops?

RailAleFan

ScotRail 2Y50 Glasgow Central (d. 16:17) to Edinburgh is currently advertising a call at PRNCSTG (Princess Street Gardens)

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
On the Bakerloo?

They show the TIPLOC on the summary boards. The platforms don't show them, they flash up "Passing service"
Yes, Bakerloo Line. (I'm doing some train bashing there tomorrow photographing these departure boards, but unfortunately I'll not be there at the time when the trains to London Road Depot actually run.)

noddingdonkey

I've seen the screens at Huddersfield advertise an early morning departure to Empty Stock. Not entirely convinced it wasn't shown for the benefit of staff due to travel pass on it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've seen a signal at Virginia Water shown on the departure board when a Waterloo - Reading train has been diverted via Weybridge and calls at Virginia Water twice, reversing at the signal. Also on a morning Bradford - Kings Cross Grand Central service, calling at a signal on the outskirts of Leeds (where it went via Bramley to reverse outside Leeds to go towards Wakefield Westgate)

Tramfan

Sunderland Burdon Dock Siding occasionally makes an appearance on the platform displays at Sunderland station if this has been accidently left in the timetable of a terminating service

liamf656

The Crewe to Newark Castle trains sometimes mistakenly bring up Trent Junction on departure boards too

plugwash

Established Member
As with any system, human error can occasionally result in one of the passenger activity codes being input at a non-passenger location.
Sure human errors happen, the question I would have is why is there apparently no validation that the activity code is compatible with the location.

timothyw9

Slightly off topic, but I seem to remember last year (or possibly the year before), that on a certain day (Sunday probably), TPE Redcar services were shown on screens and announced as calling at Salford Central (it technically passes/stops at it but there are no platforms on the route taken from the ordsall chord.)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Slightly off topic, but I seem to remember last year (or possibly the year before), that on a certain day (Sunday probably), TPE Redcar services were shown on screens and announced as calling at Salford Central (it technically passes/stops at it but there are no platforms on the route taken from the ordsall chord.)
That will be because the pathing stop there wasn't surpressed properly. It sometimes also happens with Salford Crescent, when the overnight services reverse there.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It's probably happened, at one time or another, at almost every location where trains have been planned to stop. It shouldn't, but when planners are trying to shift bids of >1,000 trains in a week it's understandable how some slip through the net. Especially at locations like Salford Central which is a passenger stop, but only on certain lines.

Jamiescott1

The electronic display ar Platform 3 at maidenhead is currently displaying "welcome to west ealing"

Sirius

On one occasion saw this with “Newbridge Jn” listed as a stop on Helensburgh Central to Edinburgh via Airdrie/Bathgate line on the boards at stations.

Toby268

On one occasion saw this with “Newbridge Jn” listed as a stop on Helensburgh Central to Edinburgh via Airdrie/Bathgate line on the boards at stations.
Seen this a few times on the 334s and 385s internal displays as well.

Class 170101

Established Member
It wouldn't surprise me if ITPS doesn't understand the codes and blanks them out and then the staff don't notice its done that and just publish the trains with these odd stops in.

MadMac

There’s a picture out there of a Met-Camm DMU on a railtour at Springburn with the blind showing “Cluny Bridge”. There’s never been a station there. Apparently the manufacturer was given a Working Timetable with various locations crossed out and told to put the others on the blind. Somebody forgot to cross out Cluny Bridge, which was a signal box and timing point.

Also, the Solari flap indicators at Edinburgh Waverley had “Suburban Circle” as a destination option: they were installed about 15 years after the cessation of passenger services on the ‘Sub’.

BeepBopSkdoo

The timing point at Stoke Tunnel (SOKEJN being it's TIPLOC), where the train stops for 1 minute, has incorrectly been input to the train schedule as a passenger stop rather than for operating purposes.

As the platform screen doesn't have that location in its list of valid stations it displays the TIPLOC instead.
It’s happened recently at St Pancras where ECS Eurostar services to Temple Mills have been displayed on the CIS as bound for TMREUKL (Temple Mills Reception UK)

zwk500

Veteran Member
It wouldn't surprise me if ITPS doesn't understand the codes and blanks them out and then the staff don't notice its done that and just publish the trains with these odd stops in.
TPS understands the codes - it will block them being put on a freight service (I think EDIT: just checked and it does block publication if you put a passenger code on a freight stop). It also shows them in an info panel to the planner - it's identifying that one of the 20 stops is in the wrong place that's reliant on Mk1 Eyeballs.
It’s happened recently at St Pancras where ECS Eurostar services to Temple Mills have been displayed on the CIS as bound for TMREUKL (Temple Mills Reception UK)
That's interesting, ECS class 5s shouldn't be showing on the boards in detail but then again no doubt it's happened at times.

Last edited:

Established Member
TPS understands the codes - it will block them being put on a freight service (I think EDIT: just checked and it does block publication if you put a passenger code on a freight stop). It also shows them in an info panel to the planner - it's identifying that one of the 20 stops is in the wrong place that's reliant on Mk1 Eyeballs.

That's interesting, ECS class 5s shouldn't be showing on the boards in detail but then again no doubt it's happened at times.
All Eurostar services are class 9 including the ECS moves.

pdeaves

Established Member
Somewhat tangentially, 'rare track' rail tours will often show the power station (or wherever) that forms the end of that train's headcode working [1] on the screens at pick up stations. Obviously, there is no station at the destination.

[1] not sure how to phrase it; at the 'destination', the headcode changes, it becomes a 'different' train so doesn't count on the pick up station departure screens

zwk500

Veteran Member
Somewhat tangentially, 'rare track' rail tours will often show the power station (or wherever) that forms the end of that train's headcode working [1] on the screens at pick up stations. Obviously, there is no station at the destination.

[1] not sure how to phrase it; at the 'destination', the headcode changes, it becomes a 'different' train so doesn't count on the pick up station departure screens
Railtours usually have to be entered manually onto the boards, so what is displayed depends on the system and the staff member entering the information. Sometimes the destination field shows the tour's marketing name, sometimes it just shows 'Charter Train', or it can show the actual final location of the schedule.

XAM2175

Established Member
Aren't Eurostars classed as 9Oxx and/or 9Ixx trains?? The LETTER O or I instead of a 0 (zero) or 1
The letters I and O are deliberately chosen so that they can be read as ones and zeroes in Continental train numbers.

jfollows

Established Member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.