• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non existent station on departure board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 170101

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Looks like two return trips to Ashford (9Z41, 9Z02, 9Z03, 9Z04, 9Z05, 9Z64 including Temple Mills workings) which I'd guess are being used for staff prior to ramping up the service further in the near future.
[373 212 operating this, according to #9 ]
EDIT Snapshot as of 12:23 attached:
1643372608117.png

Last edited:

Thebaz

Once saw an odd display at Victoria with several non-stations listen as calling points including Battersea Pier Junction. I actually took a picture of it though I've no idea where it is now.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Once saw an odd display at Victoria with several non-stations listen as calling points including Battersea Pier Junction. I actually took a picture of it though I've no idea where it is now.
There is (or was) a staff halt at Battersea Pier to drop off/pick up train crew at the carriage sidings. Likely that one of the staff stops had been incorrectly input as an advertised passenger stop. Same thing has happened in the past at the staff halt for Wimbledon depot.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looks like two return trips to Ashford (9Z41, 9Z02, 9Z03, 9Z04, 9Z05, 9Z64 including Temple Mills workings) which I'd guess are being used for staff prior to ramping up the service further in the near future.
[373 212 operating this, according to #9 ]
EDIT Snapshot as of 12:23 attached:
View attachment 109413
A class 373 test train, I believe.

owidoe

Speaking of strange destinations, the NRE app right now is showing a 1515 from St Pancras Int. to "TMREUKL".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220129-145842.png
    Screenshot_20220129-145842.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 49

Eyersey468

Established Member
There was Melton between Selby and Hull. It was in the Baker rail atlas with an asterisk. And only appeared as a footnote in the BR passenger timetable. Never did work out what was going on. Its has a Wiki entry but I cant find mention of it in 1978 BR passenger Timetbale
I think Melton was an unmanned halt that was stopped at by certain workers trains.

Ken H

On Moderation
I think Melton was an unmanned halt that was stopped at by certain workers trains.
I am sure it was mentioned in a footnote in the all line timetable, but its not in the 78/79 one I have. Or maybe I have misremembered. It was in Baker with an asterisk by it, which meant unadvertised or excursion station.

satisnek

There’s a picture out there of a Met-Camm DMU on a railtour at Springburn with the blind showing “Cluny Bridge”. There’s never been a station there. Apparently the manufacturer was given a Working Timetable with various locations crossed out and told to put the others on the blind. Somebody forgot to cross out Cluny Bridge, which was a signal box and timing point.

Also, the Solari flap indicators at Edinburgh Waverley had “Suburban Circle” as a destination option: they were installed about 15 years after the cessation of passenger services on the ‘Sub’.
Ah, thanks for the info. I saw a DMU with 'Cluny Bridge' on its destination blind way, way back on one of my Freedom Of Scotland Railrover bashes in the late 1980s. I subsequently discovered that it was actually the location where services terminating at Cardenden turned back before the Fife Circle became circular, if you see what I mean, but still had no idea why it was on a DMU destination blind. I just assumed that it was a weird Scottish thing, after all, to the best of my knowledge 'Malvern Wells' never made an equivalent appearance.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Slightly off topic but ...

I once had a Eurostar ticket from London to Brussels which was valid for onward travel to any station in Belgium. Wanting to go on to Luxembourg, the ticket office at Brussel Zuid sold me a ticket from a stationless timing point on the BEL/LUX border to Luxembourg. This irritated the CFL ticket inspector but he eventually accepted it was a genuine mistake by the chap in Brussels and let me continue my journey. I think the last stop in BEL was Arlon.

pdeaves

Established Member
I am sure it was mentioned in a footnote in the all line timetable, but its not in the 78/79 one I have. Or maybe I have misremembered. It was in Baker with an asterisk by it, which meant unadvertised or excursion station.
'last train 8 July 1989', according to Michael Quick's station chronology.

biko

Slightly off topic but ...

I once had a Eurostar ticket from London to Brussels which was valid for onward travel to any station in Belgium. Wanting to go on to Luxembourg, the ticket office at Brussel Zuid sold me a ticket from a stationless timing point on the BEL/LUX border to Luxembourg. This irritated the CFL ticket inspector but he eventually accepted it was a genuine mistake by the chap in Brussels and let me continue my journey. I think the last stop in BEL was Arlon.
I think it will have been the border crossing. You can buy tickets from/to most border crossings and they also occur on many international tickets which aren't global price. And to remain a bit more on topic, they often also pop up in journey planners, but I haven't seen them on monitors yet.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Yes - there are lots of timing points where trains might be booked to stop for some reason (e.g. being overtaken or waiting for a conflicting train etc.) which are former stations. For example on the WCML you have Brinklow, Lowton and Beattock, around Sheffield you have Heeley, on the GEML you have Haughley and Trowse, on the ECML you have Helpston, Temple Hirst and Tollerton.

On the WCML, there is also Norton Bridge which retains the three letter code (NTB).

D6130

Established Member
That would have been Sterpenich, the closed station right on the Belgium/Luxembourg frontier.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Bradley Junction used to be shown as a calling point on the screens at Leeds for the Leeds - Huddersfield via Halifax service and when operated by Northern Heaton Lodge Junction for the Leeds - Huddersfield via Dewsbury service. Both as Transpennine’s were timed to pass them at these points.
I've seen Heaton Lodge Junction pop up as a calling point on the screen at Mirfield i.e - Calling at: Heaton Lodge Junction (1547), Brighouse (1553), Sowerby Bridge (1603)....

Status
Not open for further replies.