• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non safety-critical jobs in the industry for a 16 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Just thought I'd ask here...

I'm exploring my options about what to do now I've left school and as I believe I'd work far better in a place I'm interested in and would enjoy... As a 16 year old school leaver with above average grades (hopefully); I'm guessing the availability of jobs in the rail industry suitable for me would be extremely limited? I'm interested in fares and suchlike so would looking out for something in a ticket office lead somewhere? This might be a complete dead end route in terms of what is available but it's definitely an interest of mine.

Many thanks for any responses. :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ZFE95

I was 18 when I joined, I don't think they employ anyone under that age, though that is only from experience. Could be worth dropping TOCs an email, or perhaps if you know anyone within the industry personally to put a word in? Did you hear about the young lad who spent a day running the Southern twitter feed?

OneTrackMind

Young Man,

Best advice I was ever given at the age of 16 was to continue on with FREE education until you're 18 whatever capacity that may be (apprenticeship, BTEC, A-Levels).

Forget about a railway job at the age of 16, get your qualifications under your belt, do a part time job that gets you relevant experience of interacting with the public, cash handling, working in a team then review the situation at 18.

I'm in my mid-twenties now, and no word of a lie, looking back it was easily the best choice. It was free, I experienced what it was like to have a psychopathic girlfriend, I knew by 18 what career would help me get on in life (and it wasn't the railway, as based on probabilities, getting a high paid job that if you have the grades you can get in other industries, is slim).

So like you say, not the answer you want, but a worthwhile one at that.

Enjoy life!

Oh and I didn't go to uni either ... but that's a whole different story.

JetStream

I side with OneTrackMind - whether it's A-Levels, NVQs, an apprenticeship or whatever, do it, unless you have to get a FT job. I've not seen anyone's under 18 work on the railway, and if you're looking at customer service, get a part-time (or fulltime!) retail job, that will help for a career on the railway, and will help any application you put in.

telstarbox

Established Member
Also interests bloom and fade (and bloom again!) over time. You might not be as into the railway when you're 18, 21, 30, 40. I would echo the advice above. Any (part time or full time) job is useful but so is education.

coxxy

To be honest I can't think of any TOCs that take on any one under 18 years old due to shift work and other factors.

As every one else is saying, go to college and work in other places. One of the key things the TOCs look for is experience. Not necessarily experience in work it life experience. Drivers and guards roles in particular, you need to be able to demonstrate the way you have reacted in certain situations as well knowledge.

I'm not going to say wait till your mid 20's before going for a job in the railway because as people say age is just a number but consider that there are A lot of people applying for jobs on the railway, life experience is the easiest way to set yourself above the other applicants.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Rail Gourmet used to take on 16 years olds. Not the best place to work but it's a foot in the door so to speak.

PudseyBearHST

Just thought I'd ask here...

I'm exploring my options about what to do now I've left school and as I believe I'd work far better in a place I'm interested in and would enjoy... As a 16 year old school leaver with above average grades (hopefully); I'm guessing the availability of jobs in the rail industry suitable for me would be extremely limited? I'm interested in fares and suchlike so would looking out for something in a ticket office lead somewhere? This might be a complete dead end route in terms of what is available but it's definitely an interest of mine.

Many thanks for any responses. :)

As someone has already said, continue with education. You say you think you have got above average grades so continue to do A-Levels. Or go through the apprenticeship option. Unfortunately, you have left it too late now as most rail apprenticeships (and probably other apprenticeships) deadlines were a few months ago. Companies like VTEC, SWT and GTR were offering engineering apprenticeships (although you may need to be 18?). London Midland are currently offering a Property Coordinator Apprenticeship and you only need 5 GCSEs. I think your options are extremely limited right now and I would continue with A-Levels.

https://www.londonmidlandcareers.com/Applicants/vacancy/1659/Property-Coordinator-Apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.