• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 150/3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
No, just a way of Northern identifying the 'cut & shut' three car sets for diagramming purposes.

peters

On Moderation
Untidy choice I'd say picking 150147 and 150224 on the basis they both are North Western Trains refurbished units with Chapman seats. Seemingly one of the
units forming the 150/3's will have coaches either end with Ashbourne seats and a mid-coach with Chapmans.

I don't think that the passengers would be too worried about that so long as the 3 Cars help them better to get a seat

Sounds like a good idea to me. Those getting on the train first get a choice of seats so if they find they don't get on with one type they just need to move down to the next carriage to get a different type.

When I've travelled on Southern trains I've noticed there are trains which have 5 seats across in some carriages and 4 seats across in others and no-one seems to complain about it being inconsistent or untidy.

M60lad

Not to sure if I was seeing things but as I was on the bus home from work last night I'm sure I saw a 3 car 150 stabled up at the side of the new workshops at Newton Heath Depot fronting St Mary's Road and I'm sure it was labeled up as 150004.

superkev

Established Member
I wonder if the reformed units will stray away from the dedicated duties for the prototype sprinters 150 001 and 002.
K

skyhigh

Established Member
I wonder if the reformed units will stray away from the dedicated duties for the prototype sprinters 150 001 and 002.
K
If you look at the diagrams they're all in one pool and all will just work the same routes.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Sounds like a good idea to me. Those getting on the train first get a choice of seats so if they find they don't get on with one type they just need to move down to the next carriage to get a different type.

When I've travelled on Southern trains I've noticed there are trains which have 5 seats across in some carriages and 4 seats across in others and no-one seems to complain about it being inconsistent or untidy.
I tend to agree, getting a seat is all most passengers will be concerned with.

ash39

Established Member
Are the /2 coaches going to be painted in plain white or are they going to keep the blue at the front?

There's a photo of 004 formed up at Newton Heath on Flickr and no, they've left the blue end on the now intermediate vehicle. Looks pretty terrible!

Established Member
There's a photo of 004 formed up at Newton Heath on Flickr and no, they've left the blue end on the now intermediate vehicle. Looks pretty terrible!

One can only hope the 150s won't be around too much longer anyway!

DannyMich2018

One can only hope the 150s won't be around too much longer anyway!
Sorry but the 150s will be around for at least 5 more years as there is no replacement on the horizon, same goes for Class 155, 156, 158 so most 150s will get 40 years service!! :)

Established Member
Sorry but the 150s will be around for at least 5 more years as there is no replacement on the horizon, same goes for Class 155, 156, 158 so most 150s will get 40 years service!! :)

I know, it was more wishful thinking on my part! :)

I'll be very happy if the 155s, 156s and 158s reach 40 years (and more) of service, though. Even though they're such a unique fleet, I'd imagine Angel Trains won't be very keen on disposing of the 155s any time soon considering the amount of money that's gone into them recently. I hope Northern have the foresight to get as many spares for them as they can when the redundant 153s start going for dismantling.

I’ve seen the photo, looks a little strange.

I agree, it looks dreadful. I can't understand why 150209 was given blue ends considering the likelihood of it being split into two centre cars again.

O L Leigh

Established Member
No, just a way of Northern identifying the 'cut & shut' three car sets for diagramming purposes.

That's fair enough, but I would imagine that it is a little different from a traincrew competence position. Each sub-class is different and I'm given to understand that each one is listed separately on traincrew traction cards. I certainly recall GWR drivers at Gloucester complaining about this, especially with regard to 001 and 002.

Llama

Established Member
No, class 150 is just shown as one entry on traction cards and TDLCR certificates here, whether it's 150/0 or /1 or /2.

Ex - ATN crew needed a written brief on 150/1s when ex-FNW units started to be used on diagrams that incorporated visits to ex-ATN land from late 2005, as ex-ATN crews had not worked 150/1s for a decade or so. Ex-FNW crews were already familiar with both 150/1 and 150/2 from the time they were introduced in the mid-'80s.

When the 150/0s 150001 & 150002 appeared up here last year the crews who would be diagrammed to work them needed a written brief on the differences (physical, electrical, air system etc).

If you are competent on class 150/1 and 150/2s then having a 3-car set simply formed of /1 and /2s by rights shouldn't require briefing. The only likely briefing requirement would be if any operational/safety equipment is isolated or removed from the buried /2 vehicle or changed. I'm aware there have been some bits removed/changed on the intermediate /2 vehicles for these recent 3-car sets being made up so I imagine there will be a basic brief posted in notice cases for crews when the time comes for them to enter service.

On Moderation
Even though they're such a unique fleet, I'd imagine Angel Trains won't be very keen on disposing of the 155s any time soon considering the amount of money that's gone into them recently.
I would think Angel would be totally disinterested in the future of the 155 fleet.....

.....because the 155s are Porterbrook owned.

O L Leigh

Established Member
No, class 150 is just shown as one entry on traction cards and TDLCR certificates here, whether it's 150/0 or /1 or /2.

Fair enough. I guess Northern are doing things a bit differently to GWR, who I am told kept them separate on the traction card as a way of tracking who had had the brief and who hadn’t.

Going from what I’d heard down in Wessex territory I wasn’t expecting any issues with the /1s or /2s or any hybrids made up from such units, but more with the /0s which are not quite the same. Putting them all together into one sub-class might have caused issues in the event of a member of traincrew who hadn’t had the brief suddenly encountering a unit they were not familiar with.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I agree, it looks dreadful. I can't understand why 150209 was given blue ends considering the likelihood of it being split into two centre cars again.
I did wonder that, but at the time it probably made sense just to paint them all the same.

Established Member
I did wonder that, but at the time it probably made sense just to paint them all the same.

I would say so, particularly as the plan for three car 150s seemed to be on/off/on/off as much as the kettle in my kitchen.

Established Member
I’m glad the 3-car sets are now coming to fruition, hopefully will be useful.

The original plan was for eighteen originally, the two 150/0s and sixteen reformed units.

I agree it's nice to finally see the plan being put into action, even if it's on a much reduced scale.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The original plan was for eighteen originally, the two 150/0s and sixteen reformed units.

I agree it's nice to finally see the plan being put into action, even if it's on a much reduced scale.
Is there a reason for the reduction?

Established Member
Is there a reason for the reduction?

Yes, the original plan was to use them on the east side of the Pennines on a larger number of routes, but this idea was binned. The fleet plan that's been implemented is very different from "Plan A", in fact there's been that many changes to it we must be on something like Plan P or Q by now.

As we know, the idea has now been revived to boost capacity on the west side, but on less routes so less units (six units for six diagrams) are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.