• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 150/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untidy choice I'd say picking 150147 and 150224 on the basis they both are North Western Trains refurbished units with Chapman seats. Seemingly one of the
units forming the 150/3's will have coaches either end with Ashbourne seats and a mid-coach with Chapmans.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Untidy choice I'd say picking 150147 and 150224 on the basis they both are North Western Trains refurbished units with Chapman seats. Seemingly one of the
units forming the 150/3's will have coaches either end with Ashbourne seats and a mid-coach with Chapmans.

I don't think that the passengers would be too worried about that so long as the 3 Cars help them better to get a seat

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In some ways that's rather appropriate for a 3-car 150... back in the late 1980s, 150001 had a variety of different seating styles across the 3 vehicles.

Not related to the Class 150s, but a Class 156 unit, 150450, had a prototype refurbishment in January 1995 and had four different seating styles.

liamf656

New no. - Old no. & Centre Coach no.
150003 - 150116 & 57209*
150004 - 150112 & 57212*
150005 - 150117 & 52224
150006 - 150147 & 57224

For those that are clued up on seat types, 003 and 004 will have Ashbournes, 006 will have Chapmans.
005 will be an oddball as it’ll have Ashbournes in the /1 coaches and Chapmans in the centre /2 coach. It’ll also be the only unit out of the new 3 coach sets that will have two accessible toilets rather than one

The seemingly random choice of units was down to C4 exams being similar in mileages in the current units, making it easier when the coaches are reformed

*For those that are less knowledgeable on numbers, coaches 57209/57212 formed set 150209 as the 52 coach equivalents on both units were written off decades ago, meaning that (as well as 150212 not officially existing,) the current 150209 isn’t PRM compliant (only 52 coaches are), heightening the need to split this particular unit and insert the coaches into PRM compliant 150/1s.

On Moderation
the current 150209 isn’t PRM compliant (only 52 coaches are), heightening the need to split this particular unit and insert the coaches into PRM compliant 150/1s.
It is PRM compliant, it just doesn’t have a toilet. It is the latter reason why it is being used for the three car sets.

Mollman

Established Member
So do we expect the toilet on 52224 to be locked out of use, or will one lucky set have two working toilets?

liamf656

So do we expect the toilet on 52224 to be locked out of use, or will one lucky set have two working toilets?
Both toilets will be used as far as I know, which obviously will be a bonus if one of them develops a fault and the unit can stay in service

py_megapixel

Established Member
Both toilets will be used as far as I know, which obviously will be a bonus if one of them develops a fault and the unit can stay in service
As any regular passenger will testify, Northern don't routinely remove units with faulty toilets from traffic.
However, you're right that it will be a bonus (in terms of more toilets being available for passenger use) assuming both toilets are kept (not that I know of any reason they wouldn't be)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As any regular passenger will testify, Northern don't routinely remove units with faulty toilets from traffic.
However, you're right that it will be a bonus (in terms of more toilets being available for passenger use) assuming both toilets are kept (not that I know of any reason they wouldn't be)
In the early days of the Arriva franchise it was suggested that a larger fleet of 3-car sets would be formed, and that the redundant cabs in those sets would be removed:- with the intention that the sets would stay that way for the rest of their working lives. Had this been done, there may have been a case for removing the toilets from the /2 DMSL cars in order to standardise the fleet.

Sprinter107

When Tyseley formed their 3 car 150s, some had one toilet some had 2. Depending if the centre car was a 52 or a 57 vehicle. The extra toilet was a bonus if the other was out of use.

Mex I can

Which units are working the Penistone line now? It was previously rumoured that 3 car 150s would be working it, due to the short platform being used at Huddersfield.

SteveyBee131

Which units are working the Penistone line now? It was previously rumoured that 3 car 150s would be working it, due to the short platform being used at Huddersfield.
From the timetable change it's diagramed for 3 NL class 150/2s, with a 4th doing a single round trip in the evening on weekdays. I haven't had a look at weekend diagrams yet. Hope this helps ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's fairly solidly 2-car 150s at the moment, with the occasional 158. The original plan was for a number of 3-car units to be based in Yorkshire for services like Leeds-Sheffield/Knottingley and the Penistone line, but the units formed so far (and the two pre-production units) are based in Lancashire.

When Tyseley formed their 3 car 150s, some had one toilet some had 2. Depending if the centre car was a 52 or a 57 vehicle. The extra toilet was a bonus if the other was out of use.
Though those were presumably all small, non-accessible toilets? Less of a capacity loss with two of those. Also less likely to break down in the first place, and no tanks to get full.

Sprinter107

It's fairly solidly 2-car 150s at the moment, with the occasional 158. The original plan was for a number of 3-car units to be based in Yorkshire for services like Leeds-Sheffield/Knottingley and the Penistone line, but the units formed so far (and the two pre-production units) are based in Lancashire.

Though those were presumably all small, non-accessible toilets? Less of a capacity loss with two of those. Also less likely to break down in the first place, and no tanks to get full.
Thats right, they were the small toilets. The only time they were out of action was if the tank had run out of water or theyd been vandalised. Stuffing green hand towels down the loo and repeatedly flushing it, usually used a lot of the tank up.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thats right, they were the small toilets. The only time they were out of action was if the tank had run out of water or theyd been vandalised. Stuffing green hand towels down the loo and repeatedly flushing it, usually used a lot of the tank up.
Surely it couldn't have been beyond the wit of man to have worked out a plan for the 150s that retained a small (but otherwise compliant) toilet in the units that were to be split? Might have meant a shortage of stock at the start of 2020 though, when those units would have needed to either be split then, or only run paired with a fully compliant unit, or have dispensations applied.

fgwrich

Established Member

A common problem which lead to the toilet's on the Silverlink Metro and latterly London Overground GOBLIN fleet being locked out of use. I can imagine the first time they saw proper use (like the gearbox) was upon their transfer to FGW.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Sometimes on Northern they didn't even bother lock them out when they ran out of water. This wasn't the best idea as it obviously led to people using them and subsequently realising that they couldn't get them to flush; many cycles of this lead to the toilet being positively disgusting, with there being multiple layers of human waste and toilet paper (and sometimes, as you say, paper towels)

Sprinter107

Sometimes on Northern they didn't even bother lock them out when they ran out of water. This wasn't the best idea as it obviously led to people using them and subsequently realising that they couldn't get them to flush; many cycles of this lead to the toilet being positively disgusting, with there being multiple layers of human waste and toilet paper (and sometimes, as you say, paper towels)
Yes, if the guard wasn't aware of the tank running out, many of our 150s also were in the same condition. At least with the new stuff,they lock themselves out when the water runs out.

Established Member
Are any more due to be reformed?

I don't believe so as there's only six three-car 150 diagrams.

Last time I heard, four are all-day diagrams, with a fifth operating during the peaks only. The sixth diagram is spare/maintenance.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I don't believe so as there's only six three-car 150 diagrams.

Last time I heard, four are all-day diagrams, with a fifth operating during the peaks only. The sixth diagram is spare/maintenance.
Ah okay, I thought the 6 diagrams were all-day.

It is unfortunate there wasn't a plan to create further 150/3 beyond the 4 recently done. In the Central region of Northern operations there are a fair number of platforms which 4 car units run on yet are too long to be fully accommodated officially so are subject to Long Train Short Platform method of work, for which there is no additional time allowances factored into the dwell time at that station.

(Long Train Short Platform method of work sees any train which is too long to be fully accommodated on the platform have only those doors which are adjacent to the platform manually opened and closed by means of the external door egress valve)

Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member
It is unfortunate there wasn't a plan to create further 150/3 beyond the 4 recently done. In the Central region of Northern operations there are a fair number of platforms which 4 car units run on yet are too long to be fully accommodated officially so are subject to Long Train Short Platform method of work, for which there is no additional time allowances factored into the dwell time at that station.

(Long Train Short Platform method of work sees any train which is too long to be fully accommodated on the platform have only those doors which are adjacent to the platform manually opened and closed by means of the external door express valve)
I suppose creating more 3-car sets would be a problem as it would mean less trains available.

J-2739

Established Member
Common theme now, first with the 331/0s and now these. <(

Mordac

Established Member
Let's not open that can of worms, there's an argument to be made for either side of the Pennines being the "ginger stepchild" of Northern... which suggests that either both are or neither is!
I'd say it's pretty obvious Northumberland and Co Durham are rather than either of those two tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.