• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 150s: /1s west and /2s east?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Do Northern's 150 sub-classes generally stay /1s west and /2s east?
Over the last year or so, stuck in S Yorks, I've noticed no 150/1s at all, only 150/2s (and occasionally 153s, 158s, 195s) on S Yorks local services (i.e. Sheffield-Barnsley line/Doncaster locals/Leeds via moorthorpe stoppers).
Ta for any insights.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I believe 150/1s are all based out of Manchester, but the 150/2s are split

NoMorePacers

Established Member
As I understand it, all of the /1s are based at Newton Heath and all the /2s (bar 209/224/225/226 which remain west of the Pennines) are based at Neville Hill. The rollout of 195s means that there isn't any more booked 150 work over the Calder Valley (where Newton Heath and Neville Hill units would have traditionally swapped) so the two fleets almost never cross over with one another.

HST43257

Established Member
In York we get 150/2s operating on some York to Hulls, some York to Leeds (via GRF) services and most York to Sheffield trains. Not seen a 150/1 in a long time.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
What are the visual differences?

The /1s do not have the gangway at the cab ends, whereas the /2s do.

When I used to reside in the West Midlands, Regional Railways Central had a small number for the local services on the Stourbridge and Birmingham Snow Hill - Leamington Spa/Stratford upon Avon services. These were the /1s that had a /2 as the centre coach which enabled both passengers and train crew to walk through the whole train.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
And inside, the /2s have airline seating whereas the /1s are all facing, though I seem to recall there being an odd exception to this.
150101-32 have 'airline' seating as well - only the former FNW units 150133-150150 have facing seating.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Thanks people. The sources I saw online (sorry, can't remember which) had the entire Northern 150 fleet allocated to Newton Heath.

As I understand it, all of the /1s are based at Newton Heath and all the /2s (bar 209/224/225/226 which remain west of the Pennines) are based at Neville Hill. The rollout of 195s means that there isn't any more booked 150 work over the Calder Valley (where Newton Heath and Neville Hill units would have traditionally swapped) so the two fleets almost never cross over with one another.
I guess they might meet (or at least see each other across a not-very-crowded platform) at Sheffield, if a /1 turned up on a Hope Valley stopper.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks people. The sources I saw online (sorry, can't remember which) had the entire Northern 150 fleet allocated to Newton Heath.

I guess they might meet (or at least see each other across a not-very-crowded platform) at Sheffield, if a /1 turned up on a Hope Valley stopper.

Or at Leeds if a Newton Heath 150 arrives on a service from Lancaster

Status
Not open for further replies.