• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern / Carlisle Security - unpaid fare, date of birth, threatened with penalty fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35B

Established Member
Depends on why your note was not accepted. If it was because the note was faulty, then yes, a PF should be due. But if you had a "workable" note then that would be arguably a TVM fault.

You are not legally entitled to change, by the way.
The machine wouldn't take the value of note that I had on me - by design.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

35B

Established Member
Then I guess you did not have an accepted method of payment for travel from that station. £50 note I guess? Haven't seen one for years.
I forget which denomination - certainly £20 max. And, yes, the operator did take the view that it wasn't an accepted method of payment, citing issues with the ability to provide change.

I took great pleasure not that much later in using my work Amex card for purchases, knowing that it would cost them the most to process.

rs101

There should surely be the option to pay this at any Northern ticket office if paying cash? They could take the money, stamp the receipt and record it as paid.
You're confusing Northern with a company who are bothered about basic standards of customer service..

Status
Not open for further replies.