• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Line Battersea Extension - Opened September 20 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
I went for a look this morning. Boarding southbound at Bank, one finds one of the narrowest platforms on the whole of the Underground, at one of its busiest stations, which has had to handle it for well over a century. Getting off at Battersea, with it's infrequent 10 minute service, there were just a handful around in the cavernous (and it is) new station. I always thought that Bermondsey had been the exemplar of overbuilt new Underground wayside stations for the traffic offering, but on a square metreage per passenger basis we seem to have two new leaders. Outside Battersea station is an absolute wasteland, it's also not apparent why, with the huge developments seen in the middle distance, the area right around the new station in all directions is the last to be developed.

Meanwhile, along the road at the much more urban area around Battersea Park main line station, I had forgotten how awful the access at that station is - the steep and narrow stairways almost feel like climbing up ladders.

While I understand the operational realities of the Northern Line with the limitations at Camden Town, not extending just because it might be “too popular” is certainly an unusual view for a public transport network. Followed to the letter, the Piccadilly Line would not have been extended to terminate at Heathrow ... It’s also not clear why most would not simply remain on board to Waterloo or Victoria which provide good Zone 1 connections ... find some mechanism for charging a small additional fare, even to Travelcard holders or those who have capped, for the use of that section of line. This would easily fund the construction

The crowding was particularly envisaged because of the vagaries of the Oyster zone charging, which would have seriously depleted main line service revenue from the suburbs who would now only travel with them to zone 2, in a sort of reverse-Orcats Raid - the same reason for not inserting a Central Line station at Shoreditch where it, usefully, passes beneath the Overground station.

As far as fare revenue funding urban transport construction goes, those days are passed. Even substantial and well used systems with high fares (eg London) do not even cover their operating costs nowadays - any contribution to capital investment is way beyond them. It's just as well this was not the case when, to get back to the beginning of the post, the majority of the central Underground network, with "tuppeny tube" fares, was built.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gag Halfrunt

Boarding southbound at Bank, one finds one of the narrowest platforms on the whole of the Underground, at one of its busiest stations, which has had to handle it for well over a century.

Not for much longer.

ijmad

Established Member
I was quite surprised at just how many were on the trains during the 'rush' when I visited yesterday. Appreciate it's only one train every 10 minutes currently, and it certainly wasn't crush loaded, but most alternate seats were taken and people were standing. Lots of housing both new and old in Battersea, perhaps many are prepared to walk a bit to get on a train directly to where they work and avoid the long change to the tube at Waterloo. I suspect TfL's review of the service level next year will easily find the need for 12tph peaks on a permanent basis.

rebmcr

Established Member
suburbs who would now only travel with them to zone 2, in a sort of reverse-Orcats Raid - the same reason for not inserting a Central Line station at Shoreditch where it, usefully, passes beneath the Overground station.
I have previously seen this described as an anti-overcrowding measure too — one which is possibly solved by the Elizabeth Line. Indeed Shoreditch High Street is already in Zone 1 due to its proximity to Liverpool Street, so it's unlikely that fare abstraction is the primary reason for the Central Line's bypass.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have previously seen this described as an anti-overcrowding measure too — one which is possibly solved by the Elizabeth Line. Indeed Shoreditch High Street is already in Zone 1 due to its proximity to Liverpool Street, so it's unlikely that fare abstraction is the primary reason for the Central Line's bypass.
It might be as simple as the closure of the Central line that would be required to build a station would be too costly and/or create too much disruption.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It might be as simple as the closure of the Central line that would be required to build a station would be too costly and/or create too much disruption.

And it would to a large extent just be duplicating journey opportunities that will be available at Whitechapel onto Crossrail anyway.

deecee16

How is this any different to any of the other stations? If I tell someone I'm meeting at kings cross station, does that mean the mainline station or the underground station?

Everyone will just call it Battersea underground after a few weeks if they're arranging to meet at the tube station, same as loads of places where clarification is needed.
Tickets just show BATTRSEA LU !

alex397

Established Member
I visited the extension today. Very impressive to have this, and it seemed well used. I think the stations are quite basic really. I don’t think it’s as impressive as the Jubilee Line extension, which still looks incredible over 2 decades on. However, the most important thing is that they seem well designed and will serve local residents well. I liked the exterior design of the station with the pointy roof.

The station staff seemed to be like bored teenagers who were just playing on their phones, and it seemed a real inconvenience when passengers were asking them anything. Although that seems commonplace across the Tube network now.

Cdd89

Established Member
There’s a poster at Kennington advertising travel to Battersea and Nine Elms from £2.50 off-peak. This is the Zone 2 to Zone 1 fare whereas Kennington is in Zone 1/2, so it’s actually £2.40.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There’s a poster at Kennington advertising travel to Battersea and Nine Elms from £2.50 off-peak. This is the Zone 2 to Zone 1 fare whereas Kennington is in Zone 1/2, so it’s actually £2.40.
Don't suppose you took a pic?

Cdd89

Established Member
Don't suppose you took a pic?
Yep. It does clarify that it’s a Z2-1 fare in the small print, just not particularly relevant at Kennington!

Image text:
Travel to the new Battersea and nine elms district in zone 1 from £2.50 off-peak.
Download the TfL go app to plan your journey.
Bringing more of them together.
Fare stated is the adult off-peak pay-as-you-go Journey from zone 2 into zone 1 on Tube, DLR, London overground and TfL rail services.

Attachments

• 354B851C-33A9-49E2-8A28-1B83B798C778.jpg
    354B851C-33A9-49E2-8A28-1B83B798C778.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 97

Melancholia

Does anybody know what the mileages are on the Battersea extension? Railmiles seems to not have been updated, and neither the stickied post with all LU distances.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder what caused that spike in November 21.
It was Saturday 6th, which was the date of the Battersea Park fireworks, so I would suggest this could be the likely cause.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder what caused that spike in November 21.

I guess the zero entry in mid January was due to engineering works on the branch?
Was it the weekend the main Northern line routes were closed for signalling mods for the Bank blockade?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

James H

the development at the power station site isn’t complete, so travel patterns for the end users haven’t yet been established.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
There's also the fact that Vauxhall (Zone 1/2) to Nine Elms (Zone 1) is roughly a 10 minute walk, as is Queenstown Road (Zone 2) to Battersea Power Station (Zone 1), and Battersea Park (Zone 2) to Battersea Power Station (Zone 1) is about a 5 minute walk.

It's reasonable to guess that putting the branch into Zone 1 will have an adverse effect on passenger numbers travelling from the South, who'll choose to walk the "last mile" most of the time rather than pay the Zone 1 premium.

WesternBiker

There's also the fact that Vauxhall (Zone 1/2) to Nine Elms (Zone 1) is roughly a 10 minute walk, as is Queenstown Road (Zone 2) to Battersea Power Station (Zone 1), and Battersea Park (Zone 2) to Battersea Power Station (Zone 1) is about a 5 minute walk.

It's reasonable to guess that putting the branch into Zone 1 will have an adverse effect on passenger numbers travelling from the South, who'll choose to walk the "last mile" most of the time rather than pay the Zone 1 premium.
Yes, the Zoning looks a bit of an oddity - the existing adjacent stations, even those closer to central London, being in Zone 2 or on the boundary. By the same reasoning measure, those who might have used the two Battersea stations can, by walking to the new branch, now travel within Zone 1 without crossing a fare boundary.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, the Zoning looks a bit of an oddity - the existing adjacent stations, even those closer to central London, being in Zone 2 or on the boundary. By the same reasoning measure, those who might have used the two Battersea stations can, by walking to the new branch, now travel within Zone 1 without crossing a fare boundary.
No oddity to it - it was deliberate gerrymandering at the behest of the then Mayor when he chose to prioritise this project over the (at least) ten others in front of it on the TfL LIST.

rebmcr

Established Member
They should be Z1/2 boundary, developers still get to call it Zone 1, the map doesn't end up skewed, and they even get to attract more customers to their leisure destination who can get there by paying just Zone 2 prices.

pinkmarie80

Good for you- it takes me a good 15 minutes just to walk from Vauxhall station to Embassy Gardens Waitrose.
Not everyone walks at super quick speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.