• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Line Battersea Extension - Opened September 20 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good for you- it takes me a good 15 minutes just to walk from Vauxhall station to Embassy Gardens Waitrose.
Not everyone walks at super quick speed.
With respect, google maps is quite good at providing average walking times and it says 11 minutes for Vauxhall to Nine Elms. Most people can actually walk faster than googles times. I don't doubt that you struggle to keep up, indeed my mum would probably take twice as long given that she walks with at least a stick. However, the vast majority of people would cover the distance in that time and those that can't would know that they have to allow more.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pelli

It’s a bit further than a 10 minute walk from Vauxhall to Nine Elms…
It's not. I walk it very regularly in under 10 minutes.
Good for you- it takes me a good 15 minutes just to walk from Vauxhall station to Embassy Gardens Waitrose.
Not everyone walks at super quick speed.
Google Maps (see attachment) says Vauxhall Station to Nine Elms Station is 11 minutes / 0.5 miles and Vauxhall Station to Waitrose Nine Elms is 14 minutes / 0.7 miles, which seems to roughly fit both testimonials without need to assume a significant discrepancy in walking speed.

Attachments

• VauxhallNineelms.png
    VauxhallNineelms.png
    637.1 KB · Views: 27

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Google Maps (see attachment) says Vauxhall Station to Nine Elms Station is 11 minutes / 0.5 miles and Vauxhall Station to Waitrose Nine Elms is 14 minutes / 0.7 miles, which seems to roughly fit both testimonials without need to assume a significant discrepancy in walking speed.
The original comment from @CyrusWuff was about walking from Vauxhall station to Nine Elms station, which is what I referred to in my reply. This is a walk I do very regularly as part of my work, and I can walk it in 8 minutes.

James H

More stats on NLE usage here: https://board.tfl.gov.uk/documents/s18267/pic-20220720-item11a-NLE.pdf
Battersea Power Station is the busier of the two new stations with approximately 60,000 trips per week since the NLE opened and almost 13,000 trips recorded recently on the busiest day of the week (Wednesday). Nine Elms station attracts over 30,000 trips per week and almost 7,000 trips on the busiest day. Based on this level of demand we anticipate up to five million trips in the first year of the NLE

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not just the cost of redevelopment but the fact that Tube trains would be full by the time they got to Waterloo and thus there would be a vicious circle of more people wanting to get off at Clapham.
That's always been the main issue.

Recessio

They should be Z1/2 boundary, developers still get to call it Zone 1, the map doesn't end up skewed, and they even get to attract more customers to their leisure destination who can get there by paying just Zone 2 prices.
I imagine they will be boundary if/when extension to Clapham Junction opens.

For now, with no Zone 2 stations south of them to head to, it would be a bit odd/pointless.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For now, with no Zone 2 stations south of them to head to, it would be a bit odd/pointless.
Well there are the OSIs between BPS and Battersea Park or Queenstown Road.

rebmcr

Established Member

Passengers can change from the Morden direction at existing boundary 1/2 station Kennington.

Recessio

Passengers can change from the Morden direction at existing boundary 1/2 station Kennington.
True, I completely forgot Kennington was a boundary. Thought it was just a Zone 1. Not like its my local station or anything... Whoops!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

There are very good political and transport planning reasons not to extend to CJ, to set against the good reasons to extend. It's not a Crossrail Maidenhead/Reading comparator.

Status
Not open for further replies.