• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Line Battersea Extension - Opened September 20 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstock7080

Established Member
In the new timetable all the Battersea trains run to/from High Barnet except for a handful of early/Late trains to Edgware & Mill Hill East which is interesting as when the service was oringinally going to bve spilt into 2 lines it was going to run from Edgware to Battersea and the Northern Line High Barnet/Mill Hill East to Morden.
As said above, there are off-peak (M-F, Sat, SUN) trains from Battersea to Mill Hill East every hour
The majority of trains after 1700 M-F run to Edgware

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
Given the new timetable comes in on the 19th, one wonders if there will be a “soft launch” on the Sunday afternoon, as tends to be TfL practice nowadays.

I believe that is the plan, but out of service as the previous instructor training runs have been.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Signs have been updated at Waterloo and King’s Cross -> and probably everywhere else too, but those were the only two stations I used.

Image shows a Northern Line route map displayed at the entrance to the Northern Line platforms at Waterloo, showing that Nine Elms and Battersea Power Station have been added to the map.

Attachments

• 08DD3294-5163-4C2E-BAAD-332180881A8D.jpeg
    08DD3294-5163-4C2E-BAAD-332180881A8D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 242

Adoarable

Diagrams also updated on Northern line trains (or at least the carriage I was on today).

Attachments

• 1345D24E-383E-41E4-909E-657C4F315A10.jpeg
    1345D24E-383E-41E4-909E-657C4F315A10.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 284

bramling

Veteran Member
Diagrams also updated on Northern line trains (or at least the carriage I was on today).

A fine mess there! This is partly of course the result of the extension going in zone 1 for political reasons, when really it’s quite obviously well outside what most would consider to be natural zone 1.

Indeed, you have Battersea Park just a stone’s throw down the road in Zone 2, and Stockwell just round the corner from Nine Elms also firmly in zone 2. It makes little sense really.

The tail has well and truly wagged the TFL dog here, not great for a cash-strapped organisation.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
A fine mess there! This is partly of course the result of the extension going in zone 1 for political reasons, when really it’s quite obviously well outside what most would consider to be natural zone 1.

Indeed, you have Battersea Park just a stone’s throw down the road in Zone 2, and Stockwell just round the corner from Nine Elms also firmly in zone 2. It makes little sense really.

The tail has well and truly wagged the TFL dog here, not great for a cash-strapped organisation.

When the developers have chucked in a pretty hefty chunk of the scheme cost, I think they have some bargaining power in the matter!

bramling

Veteran Member
When the developers have chucked in a pretty hefty chunk of the scheme cost, I think they have some bargaining power in the matter!

Indeed, however by the same token if they wish to tag something on the side of a pre-existing asset then one would think there would also be some hefty bargaining power the other way, especially as Battersea brings little benefit to TFL and every benefit to the developer.

Whilst Nine Elms has Vauxhall just round the corner, the real target is Battersea itself, and in reality few will choose Battersea Park (itself in zone 2) over the Northern Line. There’s not much in the way of alternatives, not least with the small matter of a big river in the way, so a zone 2 Battersea would have been a pretty captive market.

This extension wouldn’t have happened were it not for the developer contribution, the benefits to London are marginal at best. I’m not sure we should all be subsidising journeys for Battersea passengers on essentially a forever basis, which now seems to be what we’re lumbered with.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed, however by the same token if they wish to tag something on the side of a pre-existing asset then one would think there would also be some hefty bargaining power the other way, especially as Battersea brings little benefit to TFL and every benefit to the developer.

Whilst Nine Elms has Vauxhall just round the corner, the real target is Battersea itself, and in reality few will choose Battersea Park (itself in zone 2) over the Northern Line.

This extension wouldn’t have happened were it not for the developer contribution, the benefits to London are marginal at best. I’m not sure we should all be subsidising journeys for Battersea passengers on essentially a forever basis, which now seems to be what we’re lumbered with.

It would be interesting to know, once demand builds up, whether the extension is "cost neutral" to TfL - I.e. the additional fares revenue generated exceeds the net additional operating cost. In theory, a lower Zone 1 fare stimulates slightly more demand.

Plus it may attract usage from Battersea Park and Queenstown Rd stations - revenue that currently goes to GTR/SWR.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The better thing to have done would be to make the whole extension in zone 1/2. OK, you'd get zone 2 fares between Battersea and Elephant & Castle, but the developers interest in having zone 1 only fares to central London would be preserved and you wouldn't have the anomaly of Vauxhall being a zone 1/2 station within the new zone 1.

I wouldn't rule out this happening further down the line.

bramling

Veteran Member
It would be interesting to know, once demand builds up, whether the extension is "cost neutral" to TfL - I.e. the additional fares revenue generated exceeds the net additional operating cost. In theory, a lower Zone 1 fare stimulates slightly more demand.

Plus it may attract usage from Battersea Park and Queenstown Rd stations - revenue that currently goes to GTR/SWR.

An interesting thought. I’d imagine a lot of the current Battersea Park and Queens Road usage would be people who travel to Victoria and then join LU there, so these journeys aren’t going to bring any revenue to TfL at all, but *would* perhaps have done if the extension was in zone 2.

I’d imagine the bulk of journeys will be new ones from Battersea Power Station, who with the lack of alternatives would have used the extension one way or other. Then there will perhaps be some abstraction from Stockwell in particular, and perhaps Clapham North, which is going to lose revenue.

I suppose if enough journeys are made then it could cover its costs, but whichever way one looks at it I think more revenue would have been made of the stations were in zone 2. If there were masses of alternative options from BPS then it might be different, but there aren’t, due largely to the river acting as a natural barrier.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
An interesting thought. I’d imagine a lot of the current Battersea Park and Queens Road usage would be people who travel to Victoria and then join LU there, so these journeys aren’t going to bring any revenue to TfL at all, but *would* perhaps have done if the extension was in zone 2.

I’d imagine the bulk of journeys will be new ones from Battersea Power Station, who with the lack of alternatives would have used the extension one way or other. Then there will perhaps be some abstraction from Stockwell in particular, and perhaps Clapham North, which is going to lose revenue.

I suppose if enough journeys are made then it could cover its costs, but whichever way one looks at it I think more revenue would have been made of the stations were in zone 2. If there were masses of alternative options from BPS then it might be different, but there aren’t, due largely to the river acting as a natural barrier.

I'm not sure about there being many people currently travelling between Queenstown Road and Victoria....

LeeLivery

Established Member
Signs have been updated at Waterloo and King’s Cross -> and probably everywhere else too, but those were the only two stations I used.

Image shows a Northern Line route map displayed at the entrance to the Northern Line platforms at Waterloo, showing that Nine Elms and Battersea Power Station have been added to the map.

The sign at Battersea PS shows Kennington - Oval (Charing Cross branch) as a limited service, while this one doesn't. This also shows Euston Sq and South Wimbledon OSI, while the BPS one doesn't. Odd.

Cdd89

Established Member
This map is very misleading because it implies that a journey from Oval to Kennington passes through Zone 1. I think I’d have attempted to box off the Battersea Power Station branch in the Zone 1 designation.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
This map is very misleading because it implies that a journey from Oval to Kennington passes through Zone 1. I think I’d have attempted to box off the Battersea Power Station branch in the Zone 1 designation.
Or even bend the line back on itself so it starts going left on the diagram and back into Zone 1.

su31

The sign at Battersea PS shows Kennington - Oval (Charing Cross branch) as a limited service, while this one doesn't. This also shows Euston Sq and South Wimbledon OSI, while the BPS one doesn't. Odd.
That’s because there isn’t an OSI at Battersea. It has cross London transfer status for NR paper tickets with the dagger symbol on.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That’s because there isn’t an OSI at Battersea. It has cross London transfer status for NR paper tickets with the dagger symbol on.
There absolutely is going to be OSIs between Power Station and Park/Queens Town Road.

su31

There absolutely is going to be OSIs between Power Station and Park/Queens Town Road.
I work on the Tube. Our documents do not indicate an OSI. You can’t have an OSI between a Zone 1 and a Zone 2 station.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I work on the Tube. Our documents do not indicate an OSI. You can’t have an OSI between a Zone 1 and a Zone 2 station.
Why not, there's one between a zone 4 and a zone 5 Station. Also check the alternative routes between Putney and Oxford Circus on the fare finder.

LeeLivery

Established Member

That's not what I meant - the diagram at Battersea PS shows different interchanges to the one above at Waterloo.

su31

Why not, there's one between a zone 4 and a zone 5 Station. Also check the alternative routes between Putney and Oxford Circus on the fare finder.
I see your point there Mike! But as far as I’m aware from reading our revenue updates, there’s not going to be one.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
''Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive'' as Walter Scott wrote two centuries ago! The deception is the nefarious agreement between TfL and the developers of the Battersea Power Station site, weakening further the already shaky integrity of the zonal fare system.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The deception is the nefarious agreement between TfL and the developers of the Battersea Power Station site, weakening further the already shaky integrity of the zonal fare system.

But without that agreement, we wouldn’t have the NLE.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The deception is the nefarious agreement between TfL and the developers of the Battersea Power Station site, weakening further the already shaky integrity of the zonal fare system.
There's nothing stopping TfL Reviewing the zones in future as actual usage provides clearer evidence than projections. As Bald Rick said, the deal got the line built, which is by far the biggest hurdle. Fiddling around with the zone boundaries is far less problematic.
There's also the point that by doing the deal with developers on this project, TfL has potentially shown itself to be reasonable and responsive, rather than autocratic and inflexible. This will be important for securing private funding going forward.

bramling

Veteran Member
But without that agreement, we wouldn’t have the NLE.

Which might well not have been such a bad thing if the extra branch ends up proving an operational headache.

It already has done so in respect of the systems integration issues bolting it on to the now-surpassed signalling technology used for the Northern Line’s resignalling. You can also bet it’s going to prove challenging resourcing the extra mileage burden arising from the fleet size not being increased.

This extension came out of nowhere, essentially someone’s bright idea, that they were prepared to dip into their pockets and pay for. It certainly didn’t have same gestation process as something like the JLE which was a very long-held aspiration (albeit what was eventually built was rather different from the 1970s plans).

If we didn’t have Battersea I’m not sure we’d be missing it much.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Which might well not have been such a bad thing if the extra branch ends up providing an operational headache.

It already has done so in respect of the systems integration issues bolting it on to the now-surpassed signalling technology used for the Northern Line’s resignalling. You can also bet it’s going to prove challenging resourcing the extra mileage burden arising from the fleet size not being increased.

This extension came out of nowhere, essentially someone’s bright idea, that they were prepared to dip into their pockets and pay for. It certainly didn’t have same gestation process as something like the JLE which was a very long-held aspiration (albeit what was eventually built was rather different from the 1970s plans).

If we didn’t have Battersea I’m not sure we’d be missing it much.

Reading some of the Background, the NLE as we now know it dates back to around 2008/2009 as the only way of serving a high density of development (which it quite clearly is).

Of course, plans to regenerate the Power Station have been around for donkeys years (1980s).

The private funding idea seems to have been put forward by TfL/Boris.

bramling

Veteran Member
Reading some of the Background, the NLE as we now know it dates back to around 2008/2009 as the only way of serving a high density of development (which it quite clearly is).

Yes that's my understanding. So if there was no NLE, the development at the power station site would likely have been less dense. Whether the rest of the Northern Line should be hamstrung for the foreseeable future in order to allow a property developer to shoehorn a few extra units into a derelict power station is of course a matter for debate!

The private funding idea seems to have been put forward by TfL/Boris.

Quite possibly. Certainly when the idea of Northern Line to Battersea was first floated it was taken with about the same level of seriousness as Central Line to Harlow. In this instance money certainly spoke.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yes that's my understanding. So if there was no NLE, the development at the power station site would likely have been less dense. Whether the rest of the Northern Line should be hamstrung for the foreseeable future in order to allow a property developer to shoehorn a few extra units into a derelict power station is of course a matter for debate!
London needs every house it can get. Supply is limited enough as it is. Will the proposed split of the Northern Line make a difference to the operational ease? I know Camden Town is, to put it mildly, a bit of a problem so maybe instead of restricting the development density it should have been a condition of development that Camden Town reached a certain stage first. But that would have requires extraordinarily joined-up thinking at City Hall.

Wolfie

Established Member
London needs every house it can get. Supply is limited enough as it is. Will the proposed split of the Northern Line make a difference to the operational ease? I know Camden Town is, to put it mildly, a bit of a problem so maybe instead of restricting the development density it should have been a condition of development that Camden Town reached a certain stage first. But that would have requires extraordinarily joined-up thinking at City Hall.
Any attempt to impose any such condition would almost certainly lead to an appeal which a planning inspector would almost certainly support. Oh, and the "derelict power station" mentioned earlier is both a London landmark and a Grade 1 listed building....

rebmcr

Established Member
So if there was no NLE, the development at the power station site would likely have been less dense. Whether the rest of the Northern Line should be hamstrung for the foreseeable future in order to allow a property developer to shoehorn a few extra units into a derelict power station is of course a matter for debate!

London needs every house it can get. Supply is limited enough as it is.
However, high-value developments seem to have a nasty habit of being treated like collectible baseball cards by investors who are happy to keep them empty, rather than take the tax liability of rental profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.