• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Line Battersea Extension - Opened September 20 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Is it still possible for passengers to travel around the Kennington loop and if yes, will that change on Monday?

Yes I can’t see that changing. *However*, be aware that the arrangements for Battersea will involve a special pool of drivers taking over trains for the Battersea segment, which means there will be more staff than usual present at Kennington. Anyone wanting a trip round the loop might well be best to hold off for a few weeks or perhaps months.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what time the first train departs Battersea Power Station ?
Strictly speaking, it's Battersea Power Station station of course, because the Station in the title relates to Battersea Power. By a remarkable coincidence, the station nearby at Vauxhall could be called, if translated into Russian, Vauxhall vokzal, as a word for station in Putinland is vokzal (I hesitate to say THE word out of ignorance). Google is your friend if you wish to delve into this further.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I stand corrected, but when I put "tube challenge record" into Google it came up with the headline figure I quoted.

The new stations will certainly make it more difficult to improve on the current record.
The record will be reset when the extension opens, just as it was when the East London Line closed to become part of London Overground.

Mikey C

Established Member
There are only 3 a day of those and they are all at silly o'clock. The new Northern line car line diagrams still show the peak service.
And with the engineering works at Bank for the next year splitting the Bank branch, there will be plenty of Morden via Charing Cross services operating

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And with the engineering works at Bank for the next year splitting the Bank branch, there will be plenty of Morden via Charing Cross services operating
Very good point. Where's that like button?

Before the extension is officially opened on Monday will there be a "soft" launch the day before like they did with the East London Line?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Quite possibly, but no-one at TfL is admitting anything at this stage.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Very good point. Where's that like button?
Or they'll amend the map for the duration?

Quite possibly, but no-one at TfL is admitting anything at this stage.

Wouldn't be a soft launch if you told people about it!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Seems a bit odd; I thought they were standard for new builds of this nature. They did it for the JLE in the 90s, and for Crossrail opening in 202-whenever.

(I don't particularly want to get into the discussion of what constitutes a PED vs PSD, though I don't think that's what you meant)

Dstock7080

Established Member
Seems a bit odd; I thought they were standard for new builds of this nature. They did it for the JLE in the 90s, and for Crossrail opening in 202-whenever.
The ‘95 Stock are almost 30yr and additional Northern trains have been mentioned, so fitting PEDs at two stations without knowing the door configuration would be wasteful

Ianno87

Veteran Member

(I don't particularly want to get into the discussion of what constitutes a PED vs PSD, though I don't think that's what you meant)

Didn't do it at Heathrow T5.

zwk500

Veteran Member

I think somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that the stations have been built in such a way that doors could be fitted more easily at a later date. It's in the post with photos taken during the TfL Press events with the politicians.

zero

Does anyone know what time the first train departs Battersea Power Station ?

Strictly speaking, it's Battersea Power Station station of course, because the Station in the title relates to Battersea Power.

Yes, but there wasn't any need for the second "station" in that question.

"When does the first train depart Morden" / "When does the first train depart Morden station"

Cdd89

Established Member
I see the OSIs betwern Battersea Power Station and Battersea Park, and Battersea Power Station and Queenstown Road, have been published; also definitively confirming no OSI for Nine Elms.

In both cases, 20 minutes in each direction. Seems a tiny bit tight in the LU->NR direction for QRB, but I suppose it’s workable.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I see the OSIs betwern Battersea Power Station and Battersea Park, and Battersea Power Station and Queenstown Road, have been published; also definitively confirming no OSI for Nine Elms.
Ah good. I still had details on my site yesterday though. ;)
In both cases, 20 minutes in each direction. Seems a tiny bit tight in the LU->NR direction for QRB, but I suppose it’s workable.
Neither NR station has a concourse as such, and currently QRB is just one island platform, so I don't think it's an issue. I walked it in under 10 minutes a week ago.

rebmcr

Established Member
I see the OSIs betwern Battersea Power Station and Battersea Park, and Battersea Power Station and Queenstown Road
Is it possible to touch out at Battersea Park, walk to and touch in at Battersea Power Station, immediately touch out, and walk to and touch in at Queenstown Road?

Cdd89

Established Member
Is it possible to touch out at Battersea Park, walk to and touch in at Battersea Power Station, immediately touch out, and walk to and touch in at Queenstown Road?
Yes. But you might get charged a mixed fare because the touch at Battersea Power Station will be factored into the routing logic when choosing what to charge at the end. Check the routes in the journey planner for the entire journey you intend to do this on first to make sure there’s not a nasty fare associated with a touch at BPS.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can you explain why you'd want to do this? The immediate adjacent station to both Battersea Park and Queenstown Road is Clapham Junction.

rebmcr

Established Member
Can you explain why you'd want to do this? The immediate adjacent station to both Battersea Park and Queenstown Road is Clapham Junction.
Just curiosity about how OSIs work rather than actually wanting to make that specific journey.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m keen to hear the announcements on board as it was reported that the lovely late Celia Drummond had sadly not recorded the new stations names yet. I’m expecting a full replacement of her announcements with Sarah Parnell.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just curiosity about how OSIs work rather than actually wanting to make that specific journey.
https://oysterfares.com/information-pages/an-oyster-rail-journey/ has the details you need.

Whenever you touch out your journey is recalculated from your original start point to the current exit point. So, an example journey using your scenario might be:

East Croydon to Battersea Park (charged as described)
in and out at Battersea Power Station (charged as East Croydon to Battersea Power Station)
Queenstown Road to Putney (charged as East Croydon to Putney)

Using Oyster you will likely be charged the second journey as that will be the most expensive and the system won't refund anything that's already been charged. Using contactless you should be charged the proper fare at the end of the third stage because the end of day back office calculation will ignore OSIs that don't affect the available routes.

Cdd89

Established Member
I’m keen to hear the announcements on board as it was reported that the lovely late Celia Drummond had sadly not recorded the new stations names yet. I’m expecting a full replacement of her announcements with Sarah Parnell.
Based on the recent isolated re-recording of the Bank announcement, and the retention of all other announcements, I’d expect two new announcements slotted in with no changes to the rest. I assume the train PIS software has been updated some time ago, as it’s presumably all offline and quite an undertaking needing to be done train by train.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Based on the recent isolated re-recording of the Bank announcement, and the retention of all other announcements, I’d expect two new announcements slotted in with no changes to the rest. I assume the train PIS software has been updated some time ago, as it’s presumably all offline and quite an undertaking needing to be done train by train.
Sarah Parnell’s voice is rather similar to Emma Clarke’s though, hence why they can get away with re-recording her announcements. Celia Drummond’s voice is more unique; I’ll be interested to see what happens with the announcements.

DanNCL

Established Member
There is not a full new set of announcements for the 1995 stock, the Celia announcements have been kept in the main. It’s believed that in addition to the new station names, the new voiceover (whoever that is) will also say “the next station is” and “this is” ahead of announcing the two new stations, to make it less obvious to the majority of people who don’t pay much attention that it’s a different voice from the other announcements on the line.

Cdd89

Established Member
Disappointing that the NLE stations (especially Nine Elms) do not appear to have been added to the Short Distance Cross Boundary Journeys list. Eg Nine Elms to Oval is £3 for Z12 rather than £2.40 for Z1.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Disappointing that the NLE stations (especially Nine Elms) do not appear to have been added to the Short Distance Cross Boundary Journeys list. Eg Nine Elms to Oval is £3 for Z12 rather than £2.40 for Z1.
I'm not convinced they're adding to that list now.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

One might argue that as it's new infrastructure, it's reasonable that people using it shouldn't get "discounts" like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.