• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Line, Northern Branches

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I had to travel to meet a friend yesterday at High Barnet, I traveled there on the Northern Line from Waterloo, I have never been on that branch beyond Camden Town before.

I noticed when the train came up above ground, how large East Finchley Station was, it seemed to have four platform faces, I wondered why it was a larger station, I also wondered at Finchley Central, where the Mill Hill line branches off, was the original plan to go beyond Mill Hill East in a westerly direction and also if that whole part of today's Northern Line was part of the mainline suburban rail net work from one of the North London Stations, such as KGX, STP, EUS or Liverpool Street.? The reason I ask that, is because at Finchley Central, I noticed a picture saying something about the first train in the 1860s with a picture of a steam train. I don't think steam was ever used on the Northern line and I did not think that that line was part of the then Underground system at that time.? I know there was a project called the Northern Hights, but I think that was much later and possibly stopped when WW2 broke out, there was also a line that went I think went from Ally Pally/Wood Green on the mainline towards Muswell Hill, was that was shown on the picture at Finchley Central?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
I had to travel to meet a friend yesterday at High Barnet, I traveled there on the Northern Line from Waterloo, I have never been on that branch beyond Camden Town before.

I noticed when the train came up above ground, how large East Finchley Station was, it seemed to have four platform faces, I wondered why it was a larger station, I also wondered at Finchley Central, where the Mill Hill line branches off, was the original plan to go beyond Mill Hill East in a westerly direction and also if that whole part of today's Northern Line was part of the mainline suburban rail net work from one of the North London Stations, such as KGX, STP, EUS or Liverpool Street.? The reason I ask that, is because at Finchley Central, I noticed a picture saying something about the first train in the 1860s with a picture of a steam train. I don't think steam was ever used on the Northern line and I did not think that that line was part of the then Underground system at that time.? I know there was a project called the Northern Hights, but I think that was much later and possibly stopped when WW2 broke out, there was also a line that went I think went from Ally Pally/Wood Green on the mainline towards Muswell Hill, was that was shown on the picture at Finchley Central?

The Mill Hill East branch was in fact originally intended to link up Edgware and Finchley Central however the proposal to electrify the line and incorporate it into the Underground system was abandoned after WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Hill_East_tube_station

Status
Not open for further replies.