• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Network Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Managed to secure three tokens from a selection of local (not to me!) newspapers in order to take advantage of Northern’s £10 travel ticket offer in November.

Just looked on the Northern website promoting this newspaper promotion and clicked on the link to the Northern Railway network map which includes the following Northern lines:

Deansgate - Manchester United, shown as infrequent service
Frodsham - Runcorn, shown as infrequent service
Helsby - Chester, shown as infrequent service
Helsby - Ellesmere Port, indicates regular Northern services
Chinley - Hazel Grove, indicates regular Northern services

Strange that these routes have been amended as the map has been recently amended to include the new

Perhaps someone more techy than me could include the Northern railway route map onto my post!

thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Perhaps someone more techy than me could include the Northern railway route map onto my post!
You mean this one (from the Northern web site):
It looks to me like the Northern service map before they started the Chester-Victoria service, and when they were still running the summer Sat Runcorn parliamentary service from Chester.
Nor does it show the east curve at Golborne-Parkside for their Cumbria-Airport services.

Attachments

• Northern Network_Map.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think there's only the one token early morning Hazel Grove -> Chinley (in that direction only) Northern working (SuX) and nothing operating to/from Manchester United halt since 2018/19.

Llandudno

Established Member
You mean this one (from the Northern web site):
It looks to me like the Northern service map before they started the Chester-Victoria service, and when they were still running the summer Sat Runcorn parliamentary service from Chester.
Nor does it show the east curve at Golborne-Parkside for their Cumbria-Airport services.
Yep, that’s the one, but seems odd that is updated to include Warrington West station which opened less than 2 years ago.

gledhill56

This map still shows them operating a service between Huddersfield and Manchester which they haven’t for quite some time now.

HSP 2

Position of Carnforth is misleading - shown on WCML.

You could also say the position of the junction for the Wennington line is misleading, looking to be near to Silverdale.
I'm sure that we could find more if we looked, be it a map along the lines of the underground map a sketch, not an exact map.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
You could also say the position of the junction for the Wennington line is misleading, looking to be near to Silverdale.
Obviously it's between Carnforth and Silverdale, but much nearer Carnforth.

I'm sure that we could find more if we looked, be it a map along the lines of the underground map a sketch, not an exact map.
Could be argued that the Bolton-Clitheroe line doesn't cross Blackburn at a 90 degree angle. Or that Great Ayton to Kildale via Battersby isn't a straight line.

Concur with @Mat17 . Doesn't the Saturday only Northern service from Sheffield via Brigg, carry on beyond Barnetby to/from Cleethorpes?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I think it's more a result of them quickly removing the Barton line now that's gone to EMR and not altering the map beyond that, rather than anything more sinister.

SouthernR

The point I was trying to make is that Carnforth is off the WCML. You cannot travel north from Carnforth to Oxenholme, you have to reverse at Lancaster. Since the diagram shows the Wennington line crossing the WCML, then there is no reason not to show Carnforth in its real position, between the 2 junctions.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It's very odd to imply there might be through tains between Kendal and Carnforth.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Cleethorpes seems to have fallen off the map.
Yes - and, to be pedantic, the line as far as Gainsborough Central from the west should be solid. There are several services daily and pre-covid they were hourly, so one presumes at some future time that pattern will return.

YorksLad12

Established Member
It does seem to be a 'thing'. The former MetroTrain diagram was converted to black-only lines in 2016. In 2017 they added Low Moor. In subsequent years they failed to add in the Lincoln services, or the Ordsall Chord link between Victoria and Piccadilly.

I haven't looked at it recently but it's still probably stuck at 2017. Won't need changing for a couple of years though. I ended up updating the colour one myself, for practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.