• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 'newspaper offer day rangers' on strike days

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
The Northern website says that "Most tickets, except Advance Purchase tickets, enable you to travel on other operator’s trains on your chosen route, whatever the day of your journey." Does anyone know whether that would allow me to use the TPE trains from Preston to Manchester (taking 40 minutes) or would I have to get the replacement bus (taking 4 times as long). I was thinking of getting the £17.50 Northern weekend ranger ticket but if it's use is extremely limited on Saturday I won't bother.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I would imagine that TransPennine Express would not wish to accept this ticket. However... experience suggests that, on Saturday strike days, unless you travel very early in the morning or are lucky enough to catch a 6 or 8 car diagram, the train will be so busy between Manchester and Preston that not everybody will be able to board. This may be bad for you, if you are left behind. However, it would also mean that no onboard ticket inspection could take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.