• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Pacer Withdrawals - Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
Is 142023 going for scrap now?
Don't know however. 142023 is the only 142 still at Heaton T&R.S.M.D that hasn't been touched for spares or even moved since December as of last year i.e. 2019. However hopefully its wheelsets are okay from when it last worked last year at back end of 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

deltic14

Given that RTT enabled people to track the last 142 workings I was wondering if anyone knows when 142 068 last worked a passenger service. I was a regular visitor to the Manchester area and last saw it working on the 28th of August 2020. Did any one see it working after then ?

IamTrainsYT

Given that RTT enabled people to track the last 142 workings I was wondering if anyone knows when 142 068 last worked a passenger service. I was a regular visitor to the Manchester area and last saw it working on the 28th of August 2020. Did any one see it working after then ?
it’s not worked a passenger service since before RTT’s unit allocation feature came out for northern.

ed1971

I caught 142068 sometime around 28th July to Manchester Vic. I recall that the toilet wasn't working and a fitter looked at it when it reached Manchester Victoria. Subsequently it was swapped with another 150/142 combi for the return to trip to Kirkby.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Tynwald

No driver, drives over a route he does not sign for. Unless he is conducted by a driver who does.

No driver, drives over a route he does not sign for. Unless he is conducted by a driver who does.
No. I'm correct. The union won't allow that.

The only Northern driver who signs whole route to Carlisle up the WCML cannot do the move as the other drivers at his depot, which is Victoria, don't sign it.

I know this as I know that one driver, and a few in control who have also told me the same info.

Tynwald

So how do you maintain your competence, if you are not allowed to drive over it. It is also presumably not within the Northern SMS, to operate that route. A lot of moves like this, it is far easier to subcontract, to companies who have route and traction competence, and it is within there SMS. The modern railway !!!

So how do you maintain your competence, if you are not allowed to drive over it. It is also presumably not within the Northern SMS, to operate that route. A lot of moves like this, it is far easier to subcontract, to companies who have route and traction competence, and it is within there SMS. The modern railway !!!
He just won't sign it now. Only reason he did was for the 3Z paths to move the Pacers before....

Geeves

Established Member
Please Note: It's not a Northern move...

(That's due to the union not allowing train crew driving over sections of track that their depot don't sign, hence why they're not going via the WCML)
Not that its hugely important but could the job not have been covered by Vic and York between them, well and Newcastle at the end? I suppose its easier just contract it out in the end.

WVL14

Its last passenger was just 24hrs later when it worked the 2114 Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly 29-8-20. Hope that helps.

deltic14

Its last passenger was just 24hrs later when it worked the 2114 Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly 29-8-20. Hope that helps.
Many thanks. Guess I was really lucky to get it when I did.

Further to my query about 142 068, does anyone know the reason this unit was removed from passenger service prematurely. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.