• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rail 142 from September the 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

The exile

Established Member
Why was that? I boarded a 4 car service at Delamere a few weeks ago and nothing was locked out-of-use, just as well really considering 4 people with bikes wanted to board.

Don't know why but guess the guard thought that until the number of passengers per unlocked carriage exceeded one there wasn't much point in unlocking the Pacer. This was the 05.56 off Chester, after all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
Don't know why but guess the guard thought that until the number of passengers per unlocked carriage exceeded one there wasn't much point in unlocking the Pacer. This was the 05.56 off Chester, after all!
S
Ie mouldsworth and delamere are tight fits on end. Has been mentioned in other earlier 142 threads about same issues 142 rose Hill locked out to hyde Central due to Woodley. Same keen guard.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Also worth noting yesterday 142087 was also out on the am Manchester Victoria to stalybridge to Wigan to Manchester Victoria and ecs to newton Heath T.M.D am diagramm on a Saturday same as it is during the week. So Saturday has 5 diagrams 3x kirkby. As mentioned above and the Chester to Manchester Piccadilly and then which forms stockport to stalybridge. More bizarrely yesterday only one 150 was on new Mills Central locals all else was 195 what a turnaround on Saturday hope valleys from 3x 142 to none. However 142058 remained stabled at stockport whilst 150143 worked solo all day before going back to stockport again to attach to 142058 for Monday's am rose Hill and new Mills workings
.WOULDN'T it not make sense due to social distancing for northern to keep the 142 also with the new Mills Central turns all day long on a Saturday as well.??

peters

On Moderation
Diagram 2:

05:56 ex-Chester then ECS to NH then NH - Vic then 23:32 ex-Victoria to Rochdale

Given the high COVID infection rate in Manchester I'm not encouraging enthusiasts to make unnecessary train journeys but today the 07:09 Manchester to Chester ran around 30 minutes late and was worked by the set off the 05:56 Chester to Manchester, so that may mean a Pacer is out all day instead of just running two services.

PaulPDX

Now that we are several weekends into the new timetable, does anyone know what diagrams are Pacers on Saturdays and Sundays.
It appears to just be 3 Kirkby diagrams and the Chester/Stockport/Stalybridge/Rochdale diagram includes Saturdays. Any more observed on Saturdays and anything on Sundays?

jonnyfan

Now that we are several weekends into the new timetable, does anyone know what diagrams are Pacers on Saturdays and Sundays.
It appears to just be 3 Kirkby diagrams and the Chester/Stockport/Stalybridge/Rochdale diagram includes Saturdays. Any more observed on Saturdays and anything on Sundays?
There's no 142s diagrammed on a Sunday and on Saturdays 3 are diagrammed on the Kirkby line and a few others like 1 trip from Chester first thing & the Stockport - Stalybridge stopper

PaulPDX

There's no 142s diagrammed on a Sunday and on Saturdays 3 are diagrammed on the Kirkby line and a few others like 1 trip from Chester first thing & the Stockport - Stalybridge stopper
Thanks for confirming what I thought to be the case. I assume that the Stockport-Stalybridge is being worked by that early morning Chester diagram before it sits on NH all day and then does the late night Rochdale turn.

jonnyfan

Thanks for confirming what I thought to be the case. I assume that the Stockport-Stalybridge is being worked by that early morning Chester diagram before it sits on NH all day and then does the late night Rochdale turn.
It does indeed.

NORMAN471

142094 was on the AM new Mills & 142018 was on the all day new mills services today.
You can now check on RTT for Northern units as from today. 142018, 087 have been allocated on Rose Hill Marple services. 142058, 094 on Kirkby ones.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
You can now check on RTT for Northern units as from today. 142018, 087 have been allocated on Rose Hill Marple services. 142058, 094 on Kirkby ones.

Being discussed here:-

peters

On Moderation

142004 & 142065 have been on the Mid-Cheshire. The services operated by the latter have been performing very badly for time keeping, the 11:02 Chester to Manchester lost 7 minutes between Chester and Hale and the 08:41 Manchester to Chester lost 10 minutes between Hale and Chester. The pair of 150s are performing much better.

IamTrainsYT

The pair of 150s are performing much better.
abnormal, they would usually be the ones to be late. although bearing in mind there are sprinters shoved behind the pacers so you don't get the full power a pacer can offer.

as for allocations:
Diagram 1: 142065
Diagram 2: 142004
Diagram 3: 142087
Diagram 4: 142018
Diagram 5: 142071
Diagram 6: 142078
Diagram 7: pair of sprinters all day
Diagram 8: 142094

Diagrams: https://pastebin.com/vCGHvTPv

I'm aware that some of the ECS's no longer run, I'll be updating this document again when the RSH services are partly re-instated

IamTrainsYT

as for allocations:
Diagram 3: 142087
Diagram 4: 142018
Diagram 5: 142071
Diagram 7: pair of sprinters all day
Diagram 8: 142094
I've messed that order up

should read:
Diagram 3: 142071
Diagram 4: pair of sprinters all day
Diagram 5: 142094
Diagram 7: 142087
Diagram 8: 142018

Last edited by a moderator:

warwickshire

On Moderation
142004 & 142065 have been on the Mid-Cheshire. The services operated by the latter have been performing very badly for time keeping, the 11:02 Chester to Manchester lost 7 minutes between Chester and Hale and the 08:41 Manchester to Chester lost 10 minutes between Hale and Chester. The pair of 150s are performing much better.
Was on the 0841 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester myself but pls note more to do with professional defensive driving due to leaf season and to prevent station overruns or damage to train wheelsets. Over next few weeks Cheshire lines will be slippery so delays will occur

peters

On Moderation
abnormal, they would usually be the ones to be late. although bearing in mind there are sprinters shoved behind the pacers so you don't get the full power a pacer can offer.

I wouldn't say that's normal from my experience on the Mid-Cheshire line in past autumns, even when they are being used in single formations the Sprinters may lose a bit of time but nothing as severe as Pacers. A couple of years ago I was on a Pacer that started on time but lost 40 minutes and when someone asked the guard if the train had developed a fault he said no, it's just the adhesion is really bad. The Pacers can also be bad at performance due to only having 3 sets of doors meaning it takes longer for people to get on and off but that shouldn't be so much of an issue when there's 4 carriages available.

peters

On Moderation
Not sure I understand Northern's logic. As mentioned previously the Saturday 05:56 Chester to Manchester is a 4 car set including a Pacer, which later goes on to the token Stockport to Stalybridge service. However, around half of the Mid-Cheshire services today are showing as 2 cars so I don't get why they think that's the best way to use a Pacer as I'm sure on a Saturday more people normally use the train mid-morning than pre-7am. It gives me the impression they have a requirement to put the Pacer into service on Saturdays so they put it on the diagram with the fewest services.

Are Northern short of operational Pacers? Both the Mid-Cheshire diagrams which are usually 142+150 are just a 150 on its own and yesterday only one of them had a Pacer.

Last edited:

Rail Ranger

Today is the last day of the Northern class 142s. 142004 is the only one working today, on the Manchester Victoria to Kirkby service. It appears that tyres approaching scrapping size is the issue (and a lack of spares).

peters

On Moderation
Today is the last day of the Northern class 142s. 142004 is the only one working today, on the Manchester Victoria to Kirkby service. It appears that tyres approaching scrapping size is the issue (and a lack of spares).

Thanks for the info. Northern probably need to rework which diagrams do and don't have pairs of 150s if the 142s are no longer available.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Northern probably need to rework which diagrams do and don't have pairs of 150s if the 142s are no longer available.

Yes otherwise there'll be an unhealthy amount of booked 2-car workings. Pity the 769s aren't going to be in service from 2 and a half weeks' time when the timetable changes else that would solve most of the issues.

387star

On Moderation
Very sad in a way they have such a human look to them
Only travelled a few times on them in the 90s and noughties from Manchester to Edale with my Aunt

Status
Not open for further replies.