• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Train Driver Apprentice - Leeds, York, Sheffield (23/12/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SLee

just saw this, I’m located in Manchester and missed the chance to apply for that course, tempted to apply for Leeds, although they may consider it too far and it would be a good old trek each day if I was to get the job

Ergomy

I've chucked my hat in for Leeds and York, hoping it goes well but it's my first time so I'm not expecting much!

Newapplicant

I've chucked my hat in for Leeds and York, hoping it goes well but it's my first time so I'm not expecting much!
I'm not sure you can have multiple applications in can you? I thought it was one application at once.

Depending on where you live too if you're not 30-40 minutes within the station they won't progress your application.

Ergomy

I'm not sure you can have multiple applications in can you? I thought it was one application at once.

Depending on where you live too if you're not 30-40 minutes within the station they won't progress your application.
I haven't seen anything like that on their site... and I'm within the 45 minutes for both sites, luckily. Thought it best to get more chances rather than less.

TheAnswer89

I haven't seen anything like that on their site... and I'm within the 45 minutes for both sites, luckily. Thought it best to get more chances rather than less.

Good decision. If you live in range for both depots by all means apply for both.

Not true at all. Almost all of TOCs accept relocations.

Newapplicant

Not true at all. Almost all of TOCs accept relocations.
Sadly, you're incorrect on that. Northern have a strict policy on distance from where your based to station you're applying for. I believe it's 45 minutes, if it's found your outside of that then they won't progress your application past papersift.

Regarding having two applications in at once I suspect that it would be frowned upon giving your getting 'two bites of the cherry' so to speak. I do recall in the past there was wording to that effect on the application and job adverts. It personally wouldn't surprise me if found out that both applications will be dropped or you'll be given an ultimatum as to only choosing one to continue.

But I guess we'll see.

Ergomy

Sadly, you're incorrect on that. Northern have a strict policy on distance from where your based to station you're applying for. I believe it's 45 minutes, if it's found your outside of that then they won't progress your application past papersift.

Regarding having two applications in at once I suspect that it would be frowned upon giving your getting 'two bites of the cherry' so to speak. I do recall in the past there was wording to that effect on the application and job adverts. It personally wouldn't surprise me if found out that both applications will be dropped or you'll be given an ultimatum as to only choosing one to continue.

But I guess we'll see.
Oh, I expect to be shoved into one if I do get it, I'd just rather have the choice than be left out to dry. Admittedly might be a little optimistic though!

Newapplicant

I was having a nosey around the Northern Careers page and noticed that they have explained two of the questions mentioned on this chat:
  • Can I apply for more than one role at a time? @Ergomy
Yes. You can apply for more than one role, but that we recommend you think carefully about which roles best suit your skills and experience before you apply. If you are applying for a Driver or Conductor role, and we’re advertising multiple locations, please apply for the location closest to your home address. You will not be able to progress with multiple driver or conductor applications at different locations.
  • I want to apply for a Driver Or Conductor role, but I live over 45 minutes away from the location. Can I still apply? @TheAnswer89
No – these roles are safety-critical, so you must live within a 45 minute peak time commute (without relying on public transport) at the time of your application. When we review applications we’ll check your home postcode against the postcode of the depot you are applying for using Google Maps, so that we can identify your travelling time.

Hopefully, this provides clarification for those who require it. Should you want to have a look for yourself you can find the above information at this link.

@Ergomy Leeds is the bigger driver depot by a country mile. Of course the choice is yours which to withdraw..

TreacleMiller

Seems like a different route now to what they did originally?

23.5k for a significant amount of time is instant killer to most professionals unless it's for just the 16 week period.

skyhigh

Established Member

23.5k for a significant amount of time is instant killer to most professionals unless it's for just the 16 week period.
It's for the first year, and I think it's been that way for quite a while now. The pay bands were definitely the same before the training became an 'apprenticeship'.

23.5k is the initial training wage and lasts 12 months.

Once you pass your Mod 7 and gain your licence you go up to 40kish. This is your PQA year 1 wage.

Once you have completed 2 years post-Mod 7 (PQA year 1 and 2) you then go up to whatever the top rate is, which is 54,500 for a Leeds based driver at the moment.

Legion

Northern website mentions that a candidate should apply for one role but they will be considered for all available roles. Does that mean that if my application is deemed worthy to progress to the next stage but there are no more open positions for the depot which I applied, will I then be asked if I am willing to be placed at a different depot for which Northern are recruiting at that time, assuming it's within 45 minutes from my address?

Has anyone experienced this before?

Happy New Year all,

If anyone has any questions from someone who is based at Leeds feel free to message me and i'll happily help. New years resoultion; help others more!

Railweigh

No reason to think that. I only applied once, and quite a few others I work with got in first time too. You’ve got just as much chance as everyone else. All I’ll say is if you get to interview, research and prepare. This forum is very, very helpful.

WSH

Happy New Year all,

If anyone has any questions from someone who is based at Leeds feel free to message me and i'll happily help. New years resoultion; help others more!
Hi there,

I would like to take you up on this offer, and I’ve tried to message you privately but cannot find how too! Got a number of questions I’d like to ask but don’t want to clog the thread.
M.O.T
Many Thanks

Will

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
Hi there,

I would like to take you up on this offer, and I’ve tried to message you privately but cannot find how too! Got a number of questions I’d like to ask but don’t want to clog the thread.
M.O.T
Many Thanks

Will

You’ll need five posts before being able to private message people, to stop new accounts being created to spam others.

Legion

Hi there,

M.O.T
Many Thanks

Will
I'd say ask them here so that everyone can see the answers, maybe its a question they were thinking themselves or realize that they should have thought about them too! ;)

WSH

You’ll need five posts before being able to private message people, to stop new accounts being created to spam others.
Duly noted.

I'd say ask them here so that everyone can see the answers, maybe its a question they were thinking themselves or realize that they should have thought about them too! ;)
Yeah I did consider this, was more to do with my personal circumstances. I can put anything else as questions on here when I’ve complied them.

Hi there,

M.O.T
Many Thanks

Will
Feel free to post questions here or via PM when you can

Status
Not open for further replies.