• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Train Driver Apprentice - Leeds, York, Sheffield (23/12/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernTech

I can stay at two locations, one is in Yorkshire. Obviously I wouldn't be applying for a position in Yorkshire if my only base was in Lancashire.
I presume at some point in the process you would show your ID, where does your ID show where you live? If it were the Lancashire location, how would you prove you had option to live elsewhere? I’m only asking as it seems there are lots of people applying for positions way out of the timeframe stipulated by the TOC/FOC and either chancing their arm or blatantly lying about their home location. Not many people have an option to stay elsewhere, say with relatives etc. And is staying with relatives able to be classed as a permanent place to live even??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Legion

I presume at some point in the process you would show your ID, where does your ID show where you live? If it were the Lancashire location, how would you prove you had option to live elsewhere? I’m only asking as it seems there are lots of people applying for positions way out of the timeframe stipulated by the TOC/FOC and either chancing their arm or blatantly lying about their home location. Not many people have an option to stay elsewhere, say with relatives etc. And is staying with relatives able to be classed as a permanent place to live even??
Yes, for me it will be classed as permanent because I can actually stay there permanently. I have bills in my name on both places. I appreciate that others might be lying, but I wouldn't be applying if I couldn't meet the requirements. I don't want to waste my own time first and foremost.

TreacleMiller

Has anyone been to the office for the Sheffield interviews yet? Its showing as Sheffield Bust Station.

Raikkonen7

They have their office in there. If you’re coming from behind the o2 Academy, you just go into bus station and then through two sets of doors and it’s tucked away on the left. Can always ask someone in there if you can’t find it.

Bobbydavro

What was on the initial application form? What questions were asked and information wanted? It's good to know so i can have pre-prepared answers to get my app in quick when another driver job.comes up. These days jobs adverts are taken down quickly if it attracts 100s of appications.

Bobbydavro

The application is very much as you would expect if you read through these forums.
Cheers. What i meant was the first stage of the process i.e. the online application. As well as the obvious e.g. name, DOB, etc. did they ask other questions e.g. Why do you want the job? Or Write 300 words on what makes you suitable for this role...

kitch31

hoping to hear back soon for an interview ive already previously passed the tests with TPE to an enhanced standard so hoping ill pass the interview and move straight to medical

Owen2323

What was on the initial application form? What questions were asked and information wanted? It's good to know so i can have pre-prepared answers to get my app in quick when another driver job.comes up. These days jobs adverts are taken down quickly if it attracts 100s of appications.

Northern recruit for drivers in various locations pretty frequently and they have a standard few questions for which you have to give 'x' number of words. IIRC they are generally based around your motivation for the role, skills and experience related to the role, concentration skills and your ability to handle difficult/pressurised situations.

Keep an eye out on their site and even if a driver job comes out that isn't in your area the application form will give you a rough idea of what to expect when one does appear in your area. They like to keep you on your toes mind and do mix it up a bit by tweaking the questions from time to time and also asking the same question the following year but with a different number of characters.

One of the biggest and most important tips I would give to anyone applying for any role with Northern is if you do submit an application then you have to regularly check your correspondence through the careers site (i.e. twice a day). You cannot rely on receiving an update such as an invite to interview etc to arrive in your personal email inbox. Everything is done through their site and if you don't check regularly you can miss important updates!!

Owen2323

Cheers. I think the system is www.northern.engageats isnt it? Where you get a login and password.

That's the one yes. It's worth checking a couple of times a week or a couple of times a day really as you generally only get about a 2 or 3 week window to apply for driver jobs and they can and do take them down early if they get a large response (which they generally do although having said that Northern specifically tend not to take them down early even though the ad will have it in as a disclaimer.....)

TreacleMiller

Psychometric testing costs the TOC. Interviews will cost far less, staff wage and downtime only.

If you send 100+ for psychometrics then that's a lot of cash only to fail the Dmi.

Around 80 sat the Sheffield Dmi based on what I was told.

TreacleMiller

Theres plenty of info on a dmi.

Northens was different. 10 situational based questions with sub / follow on questions asked at the same time,

A time when working under pressure etc.

Bobbydavro

All 10 asking 'Tell us a time when...' or different scenarios that they give you? I ask this so i know whether to prepare 10 different examples of when i worked under pressure etc.

skyhigh

Established Member
All 10 asking 'Tell us a time when...' or different scenarios that they give you? I ask this so i know whether to prepare 10 different examples of when i worked under pressure etc.
You will be asked different questions relating to the qualities required of a train driver. For what these are, look at the skills the job advert says they require. If you are just starting, reading through this thread would be helpful: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/a-career-as-a-train-driver.17674

Don't expect to get spoon fed the questions you'll be asked in any interview!

TreacleMiller

Anyone else at the assessment tomorrow?

Completed the assessments successfully so looking forward to a start date now. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Orange08

Is anyone still waiting to hear either way from this application? Applied over Christmas, I’ve had the generic emails but nothing to say I’ve been successful/unsuccessful yet. I know people have already sat and passed assessments etc. Online portal still saying application under consideration.

Newapplicant

Is anyone still waiting to hear either way from this application? Applied over Christmas, I’ve had the generic emails but nothing to say I’ve been successful/unsuccessful yet. I know people have already sat and passed assessments etc. Online portal still saying application under consideration.
I'm still waiting like yourself.my portal still says 'application under consideration.'

I'm fairly certain that given all the time passed that I'll have been unsuccessful. I'd be very surprised if I was to go forward now.

TreacleMiller

No news is usually good news. There are folks in the talent pool for both Sheffield and Leeds.

I'm not sure if they would assign those guys to a course or continue putting people through to the dmi.

Orange08

No news is usually good news. There are folks in the talent pool for both Sheffield and Leeds.

I'm not sure if they would assign those guys to a course or continue putting people through to the dmi.
Fingers crossed hey…saw you managed to pass everything and got placed in the pool. Massive congrats by the way.

TreacleMiller

Thank you ;) All the best with your application.

The pool is horrible. Elation when I passed, gut wrenching to be told "no room at the inn".

Hopefully it wont be long.....

jjphotos

No news is usually good news.
I am hoping this is the case. I got an e-mail every 10 days or so for the first month (different location, still Northern) but had nothing in the last month. I hope they send an e-mail out every time they sift out some more they don't want to interview and I'm still in with a shout. I see it as more time to undertake research, but hope I'm right :D

Status
Not open for further replies.