• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumpa6259

Wouldn't surprise me if they're doing internals first, then just outright reject all external applicants if they get what they need. Would be a bit of an insult to everyone who makes the effort to apply. An LNER apprentice driver role in Newcastle only closed a couple of weeks ago. I've already progressed through online tests and had a recorded video interview.
I did wonder this myself. Say they wanted 25 drivers they was waiting to see how many internal make the grade then they can just top up with externals. Suppose that’s all guess work though unless confirmed. You are right though people invest a great deal of time and effort so would be nice To find out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

If all internals were successful, there would be a shortage of staff still.. let’s say mostly guards apply for drivers and are taken on.. there’s then a shortage for guards. So I doubt they will just take on internal and bump externals off. I’m an external recruit. It’s more about passing the assessments and interview to make sure you’re suitable for the role. You can’t be spoon fed the answers at the assessment centre.
Best of luck anyway mate hopefully you hear something soon

Emilali

They have been interviewing externals as well as internals for this role. Those who have yet to hear back yet I presume are just waiting on the outcome of how they all get on with the psychometric testing.

Lumpa6259

They have been interviewing externals as well as internals for this role. Those who have yet to hear back yet I presume are just waiting on the outcome of how they all get on with the psychometric testing.

Surely not....on what basis? Why would they keep you in any part of the process if you don’t meet the criteria?

Emilali

I meant if your application is still live and you havent been rejected then Northern are just waiting to see how the candidates they have sent for testing get on first. If say for instance they were all unsuccessful, I imagine they’d then start the trawl of other applicants ( the ones that still say application under consideration ).

Lumpa6259

Sorry yeah but how would they have deciphered who to invite to testing, interview etc first whilst you are kept essentially in reserve?

Emilali

Well thats just their recruitment policy isnt it. Decide who they wish to interview, see who makes the benchmark then those people are sent to psychometrics. As there is an 80% fail rate trying to achieve the enhanced standard on the pychs which is what you require for Northern, I guess it makes sense foe them to have as many people waiting in the wings as possible.

train-safe

Yep I know of an external whos been interviewed and internals are off to do psychometrics soon, the rest will just be kept incase all those put through fail their tests,

A460009

Well thats just their recruitment policy isnt it. Decide who they wish to interview, see who makes the benchmark then those people are sent to psychometrics. As there is an 80% fail rate trying to achieve the enhanced standard on the pychs which is what you require for Northern, I guess it makes sense foe them to have as many people waiting in the wings as possible.
Did northern require an enhanced standard when they were under arriva? I passed the tests last year and when I contacted OPC they wouldn’t tell me if it was to the enhanced standard or not

Did northern require an enhanced standard when they were under arriva? I passed the tests last year and when I contacted OPC they wouldn’t tell me if it was to the enhanced standard or not

Changed to enhanced in April this year.

Any news anyone? Seems to have all gone quiet. Although they do say no news is good news

train-safe

Any news anyone? Seems to have all gone quiet. Although they do say no news is good news
Im led to believe from word of mouth at heaton that northern at newcastle have quite a few in the talent pool and numerous others waiting to be released from heaton, so id imagine rejection emails will go out to everyone else very soon

Im led to believe from word of mouth at heaton that northern at newcastle have quite a few in the talent pool and numerous others waiting to be released from heaton, so id imagine rejection emails will go out to everyone else very soon
Would the talent pool perhaps be for the blyth and tyne project? A friend has told me they need about 30 drivers for it

Anvil1984

Established Member
Would the talent pool perhaps be for the blyth and tyne project? A friend has told me they need about 30 drivers for it

Depends how long the Talent Pool lasts for to be honest. A few of the drivers already recruited and passed out were potentially for the new "Connect" which turned into the second Durham Coast service per hour which looks like it won't materialise til Dec 21 at the earliest (having been delayed a couple of timetables before hand). The Blyth and Tyne / Northumberland Line hasn't been announced as officially re-opening yet and is just in consultations even though the expectations are that it will go ahead with trains from 2023. Everything is sadly up in the air so everyone needs to be patient

Depends how long the Talent Pool lasts for to be honest. A few of the drivers already recruited and passed out were potentially for the new "Connect" which turned into the second Durham Coast service per hour which looks like it won't materialise til Dec 21 at the earliest (having been delayed a couple of timetables before hand). The Blyth and Tyne / Northumberland Line hasn't been announced as officially re-opening yet and is just in consultations even though the expectations are that it will go ahead with trains from 2023. Everything is sadly up in the air so everyone needs to be patient
Just been confirmed today

Anvil1984

Established Member
Just been confirmed today

The official re-opening and all the other plans have not

“The Treasury sign-off immediately releases the £34m towards the final cost of £166m with further funding to follow once design works are concluded. It will fund land acquisition, completion of detailed design and for Network Rail to commence early works prior to relevant planning approvals.”

But that’s for another thread. As I say there are a number of people already in Training School or with minders and route learning at the moment for Newcastle depot and no extra work confirmed for the near future (Northumberland Line has been pushed back to 2024 earliest by one report I’ve read. Also one of the things in the planning / consultation was for the line to get its own depot. As I say it’s a waiting game and people will have to be patient in the pool

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We have plenty of other threads to discuss the proposed re-opening of the Blythe & Tyne route I would ask that member take discussions related to that topic there unless very clearly directly related to the subject of this thread which is trainee drivers for Northern at Newcastle :)

Route G

Just received.....

Thank you for taking the time to apply to us here at Northern. We are pleased to have received your application for the Driver Newcastle role.

Unfortunately on this occasion, the position that you have applied for is no longer available and has now been closed.

We appreciate how disappointing this will be and recommend that the best way for you to find out more about alternative opportunities here is to visit our careers page at www.northernrailway/careers. You can also sign up for a vacancy alert on this site.

Thank you again for your interest in working with us.

Kind regards,

The Northern Recruitment Team
Northern Trains Ltd

Roller

Just out of curiosity, when say Northern advertise for a trainee driver, how many normally do they look for? Is it one position or many? Or is it a talent pool?

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Just out of curiosity, when say Northern advertise for a trainee driver, how many normally do they look for? Is it one position or many? Or is it a talent pool?
It completely depends on what is required at a specific depot at the time, the same as any job posting in any industry. They don't take on 3 drivers if they only need 1, and they don't take on 1 driver if they need 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.