• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic2

Hi all

I have searched my topic in question however the threads are rather old and not current hence the new post.

Does anyone know the current wage increments with Northern for train drivers?
I.e, what is the current training wage, rough length of training and then the increments once passing?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minicheddar

Hi all

I have searched my topic in question however the threads are rather old and not current hence the new post.

Does anyone know the current wage increments with Northern for train drivers?
I.e, what is the current training wage, rough length of training and then the increments once passing?

Cheers!
For an external candidate I believe the training wage for the first 12 months is approximately £21000 per annum.

In year 1 this rises to £43198

In year 2 this rises to £47413

In year 3 you go into full salary of £54500.

mechanic2

T
For an external candidate I believe the training wage for the first 12 months is approximately £21000 per annum.

In year 1 this rises to £43198

In year 2 this rises to £47413

In year 3 you go into full salary of £54500.
Thank you for this.

CreamNCookies

Slightly more than £21k. £23,576 per annum rising to £40,738 after 12 months. Then rising to £44,952 in Year 2 of driving. With the full wage of £54,500 when fully qualified.

At least this was on the advert I applied for.

Minicheddar

Slightly more than £21k. £23,576 per annum rising to £40,738 after 12 months. Then rising to £44,952 in Year 2 of driving. With the full wage of £54,500 when fully qualified.

At least this was on the advert I applied for.
We're you applying for an Eastern depot? Slightly different terms and conditions between West and East

mechanic2

This is good to know. I've been looking for a thread on this.
Is it 12 months of training when it goes up or is it until you officially pass out? I'm sure I read somewhere it said, which ever comes sooner.

Minicheddar

This is good to know. I've been looking for a thread on this.
Is it 12 months of training when it goes up or is it until you officially pass out? I'm sure I read somewhere it said, which ever comes sooner.
Pretty sure it's 12 months regardless of if you've passed out yet or not but can't definitely confirm.

Efini92

Established Member
Ah thats good to know, thanks :D
Sorry that’s really poor English, I was half asleep when I typed it.
If you pass out before the 12 month mark your money will go up on the day you passout. So worse case scenario you’re looking at 12 months. There is a clause that says if you fail a pass out then they can stop your money going up at the 12 month mark, however I only know of northern trying that once and ASLEF stepped in.
If you’re going to a Manchester depot or Liverpool you definitely won’t pass out before the 12 month mark.

Minicheddar

Sorry that’s really poor English, I was half asleep when I typed it.
If you pass out before the 12 month mark your money will go up on the day you passout. So worse case scenario you’re looking at 12 months. There is a clause that says if you fail a pass out then they can stop your money going up at the 12 month mark, however I only know of northern trying that once and ASLEF stepped in.
If you’re going to a Manchester depot or Liverpool you definitely won’t pass out before the 12 month mark.
Right, that makes sense, I'm going to be based in Manchester so wasn't too sure about the passing out before 12 months, thanks for confirming that.

richfoz84

With COVID etc it will take longer than 12 months to pass out but your money does go up!

Trainee wage (external) on the west side is circa £22500 for 1st year.

Llama

Established Member
Pre-Covid it also took well over 12 months on average to pass out at some depots.

Efini92

Established Member
With COVID etc it will take longer than 12 months to pass out but your money does go up!

Trainee wage (external) on the west side is circa £22500 for 1st year.
Is that what it is now? It was £24k when I did it in 2014

Llama

Established Member
People would probably rather not answer things that might identify them. All west side depots have been the same since 2004 when Northern became a franchise from bits of First North Western and bits of Arriva Trains Northern.

Didn’t the [now rejected] NDFD (new deal for drivers) want to remove the incremental pay scale for trainees?

Efini92

Established Member
Do you mind if I ask which station you trained at?
I trained at Bolton. I seem to recall the amount an internal candidate would very depending on what their salary was beforehand.
Didn’t the [now rejected] NDFD (new deal for drivers) want to remove the incremental pay scale for trainees?
It may have done but it wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on. Don’t want to go off on a tangent but there was subtle word changes in the deal. Where the T&C’s said “the company will negotiate with ASLEF” it became “the company will consult with ASLEF” that’s basically a way of saying the company can impose whatever they want.

JP007

Does anybody know what the hours are when training with Northern. Start tomorrow at 9am but my pass hasn't arrived in time so having to buy train tickets. Is it a 4pm or 5pm finish? Thanks

sportzbar

Does anybody know what the hours are when training with Northern. Start tomorrow at 9am but my pass hasn't arrived in time so having to buy train tickets. Is it a 4pm or 5pm finish? Thanks
If it's in Manchester you'll be done by 3 at the latest.....

skyhigh

Established Member
Are you required to travel every day or do northern put you up in a hotel for the week? Leeds and Manchester could be some distance for some depots
They decide that on a case-by-case basis

Status
Not open for further replies.