• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
A picture has appeared on FB of 156402 (ex 902) in Northern Blue/White livery with EMR branding. Unsure if the interior has been done.
Is that a coincidence ? Wasn't 156402 the first one to receive the pseudo 158 livery way back when ?

Really useful info "158757" thanks very much for taking the trouble.
From your list, would I be right in thinking 319372 is the only unit (ex EMR s excepted) not in the Northern livery. If so I imagine it is not long for Northern and may be Long Marston bound soon - or to Orion of course. .

Last edited:

simon7929

As it currently stands.The NH 156s very rarely visit the North East and the HT units very rarely go south of Preston. Years ago they were allowed to wander. So going by the current ruling. It's unlikely that the ex EMR units will visit the North East if based at NH. Unless Northern control revert to the old ruling.

317 forever

Established Member
When the 17 323s come to Northern from the West Midlands, I wonder whether they will be refurbished by Northern prior to entry into service.

(Whether the other 9 units similarly migrate, for example due to the recently announced electrification of Bolton - Wigan, will of course remain speculation for now).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When the 17 323s come to Northern from the West Midlands, I wonder whether they will be refurbished by Northern prior to entry into service.

(Whether the other 9 units similarly migrate, for example due to the recently announced electrification of Bolton - Wigan, will of course remain speculation for now).
Unless they've been left to degrade in their final weeks by WMR, they'll go straight into service if required I'd have thought. Although reliverying prior to the move seems to be the new normal, in the past units that moved often spent the first few weeks still in their previous operator's colours.

Liam L

I’d imagine they probably put some sort of branding on them, whether it’s just a Northern logos as a temporary thing or a full repaint, depends if they need them for service straight away or not.

The interiors are up to the same standard as the northern ones so it’s guessing game to see if they will be changed into the Northern style or remain the same till they can be refurbished again.

317 forever

Established Member
Following both your replies, and although I have yet to ride a refurbished one by LNWR later this month, I realise they are likely to be in good condition for use by Northern as soon as they arrive.

jaketaylor

Hi all just a quick question regarding depot allocations if anyone can help? I’m just curious as to which 158s are allocated to Heaton? I’m sure it was the 158/8 batch but lately I’ve seen 158791, 792, 794 & 901 around the north east Bishop line

jaketaylor

Heaton have 815-7/42-5/8-51/3/5/9-61. They used to have 792/3 also. Not sure if these 2 are still based at Heaton.
Ah thank you! I was just wondering how we end up with /7 units around here when I thought it was just /8s. 792 on Bishop-Saltburn line today not sure where 793 is. That was about one day last week

warwickshire

On Moderation

LowLevel

Established Member
158859 has returned to Bristol on 1415 vstp 5E12 from barnwood Junction
Maybe a fault has occurred on it.
However train on original move hadn't occurred any delays either.
But for now 158859 back on Bristol Barton Hill Depot.

It had a flashing tail lamp on the back which suggests either an engine or electrical issue.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I tend not to use toilets on trains much, but I did today following the football. In doing so, I noticed a glaring "schoolboy error" in the toilet of a Northern 150: as shown in the attached image, the label says that the door is unlocked if illuminated... but having toggled it to be certain and listened to the audio assistance with each move of the lever, the opposite is true. The lack of a "door close" button on the outside is also a big miss. Can it be that hard, really?

Attachments

• 20211016_175230.jpg
    20211016_175230.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 73

_toommm_

Established Member
I tend not to use toilets on trains much, but I did today following the football. In doing so, I noticed a glaring "schoolboy error" in the toilet of a Northern 150: as shown in the attached image, the label says that the door is unlocked if illuminated... but having toggled it to be certain and listened to the audio assistance with each move of the lever, the opposite is true. The lack of a "door close" button on the outside is also a big miss. Can it be that hard, really?

It looks like that sticker has been moved or put back in the wrong place. It should sit above an indicator above the flush button. For some reason though, not all toilet modules are the same and some offer a pre-flush.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It looks like that sticker has been moved or put back in the wrong place. It should sit above an indicator above the flush button. For some reason though, not all toilet modules are the same and some offer a pre-flush.
That makes no sense- the sticker simply says the opposite of what it should say. There's no place that sticker could be with that text on it where it would be correct.

EDIT- I get what you mean now, but it still makes no sense, having an unlocked door warning near the flush button seems like information overload to me. Another one from Ben Elton's "Ministry of C**p Design". It clearly confused whoever was charged with placing the stickers anyway!

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
It should sit above an indicator above the flush button.
EDIT- I get what you mean now, but it still makes no sense, having an unlocked door warning near the flush button seems like information overload to me. Another one from Ben Elton's "Ministry of C**p Design". It clearly confused whoever was charged with placing the stickers anyway!
I'm thinking that it should be over the "Door Open" button. Somebody's either moved it as a joke, or because they've misunderstood it and assumed that a label referring to the door lock state should be sited with the lock state indicator.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm thinking that it should be over the "Door Open" button. Somebody's either moved it as a joke, or because they've misunderstood it and assumed that a label referring to the door lock state should be sited with the lock state indicator.
If it's been moved by some prankster, then Northern need to stick their stickers down better. If it was put in the wrong place by staff, then there's an issue with the inspection regime. Either way, it looks terribly unprofessional and smacks of a lack of care and attention to detail.

skyhigh

Established Member
I'm thinking that it should be over the "Door Open" button.
There's a 'door unlocked' symbol next to the toilet, which the sticker should be above.

For some reason though, not all toilet modules are the same and some offer a pre-flush.
The toilets on the Porterbrook 150s have the pre-flush button, apparently it helps save water. The toilets in the Porterbrook units are of slightly higher spec than the Angel lot (which applies to much of the upkeep to be frankly honest, for example Porterbrook units have new external door leaves which mean the doors operate much more smoothly on their lot)