• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern withdraws some CAF trains due to yaw bracket failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ic31420

I know - my job and background is as a metallurgist, albeit not in the rail industry.

Seeing the design up close, I (and a lot of colleagues and other technical railway observers) can't believe that it was ever accepted into production, let alone service - this issue was clearly inevitable.

What are your thoughts on the other stuff hung from this channel arrangement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ayrshire Roy

1 word - CAF.
If you look at the CAF built Viewliners that are in service with Amtrak the yaw dampers are big and chunky compered to the 195/331s.
Could it possibly be the spec they have been asked to build as they already have a much stronger looking design.

Buspilot

Too quick to blame CAF. They have built to a specification provided from ANO in the UK, probably at a spec and cost to save money.

Phillipimo

You need to register (for free) to access this. But the TLDR is that only powered bogies of diesel units were affected, all but two are back in service now, the modification is being rolled out.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Too quick to blame CAF. They have built to a specification provided from ANO in the UK, probably at a spec and cost to save money.
But these things go out on competitive tender requiring each prospective supplier to bid for the contract. CAF should not have submitted a bid which involved using poorly designed parts - the only reason for them to do so would be to make their bid appear cheaper than everyone elses, and it looks like it worked!

ic31420

The tender invite will provide an outline of requirements (likely to include bits not falling off) it will be down to the manufacturer to design something that meets the spec.

You could design something then get the constructor to build it exactly to your spec. But then any design issue is on you. This is how I build my extension. I did the drawings, plans specced out the materials and things like the location of the lights and sockets. But even then I let the builder who built to this design have some freedom as to exactly where he put the cable runs etc.

I'm not sure if any train builders would build a train completely to a builders design and spec. And if they did it would be at a crazy price. Most trains are built on an existing platform reusing standard or existing parts methods jigs and dies.

I wonder if any other of CAF stock (foreign) is built using this T rail construction and with yaw dampers hung in teh same way.

I also wonder if the other equipment fixed to these rails is affected or if it is just the way in which the force is applied to this bracket which appears to add leverage is the issue.

Dspatula

You need to register (for free) to access this. But the TLDR is that only powered bogies of diesel units were affected, all but two are back in service now, the modification is being rolled out.
This doesn't seem to add up as 331s have the same modification as the 195s and with only 16 out 31 331/0s out today it's odd to say all but two are fixed, although there are plenty of other things to go wrong with them so who knows.

geoffk

Established Member
Northern Ireland Railways have an all-CAF fleet for their internal services and they have gone back for more units, so they must be happy with them.

Taunton

Established Member
I'm not sure if any train builders would build a train completely to a builders design and spec. And if they did it would be at a crazy price. Most trains are built on an existing platform reusing standard or existing parts methods jigs and dies.
Not so, this is how railway products were long done. For example, the Networkers were built half of them by BR Engineering and half by Metro-Cammell. BR did the design, Met-Cam just built to that.

In any event, when a design is done the client, in the case of the 195s Eversholt, is the one paying for it and should have competent engineers go through every aspect of the design, plus have one or more resident engineers at the factory overseeing that every step of the assembly is in accordance with the design and the approved stanbdards. This is how large projects are (or should be) always done.

Bow Fell

This doesn't seem to add up as 331s have the same modification as the 195s and with only 16 out 31 331/0s out today it's odd to say all but two are fixed, although there are plenty of other things to go wrong with them so who knows.

There’s now another issue with 331’s after an incident at Farrington Junction.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Northern Ireland Railways have an all-CAF fleet for their internal services and they have gone back for more units, so they must be happy with them.
They're a different family of train and I sort of suspect that a version of the CxK would've been a better bet. Unfortunately, the CxK was replaced by the Civity.

HSP 2

After seeing this photo I'm not surprised the the yaw damper bracket failed. The tee nuts (I can't think of a better name) don't extend beyond the length of the bracket base, so all of the stress will be highlighted in a small area.

40498_cafweldfailureyawdamperweldfailures_914800.jpg

The only part of the channel that has failed beyond the bracket is the outside part (the part nearest the the person holding the bracket).

Attachments

• 40498_cafweldfailureyawdamperweldfailures_914800.jpg
    40498_cafweldfailureyawdamperweldfailures_914800.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 15

HSP 2

I have come across a bit better photo of the packing piece that shows the mounting holes better.
41965_spreaderplatefittedto195002nh080621tm02_326444.jpg

Looking at this photo again it looks like the yaw bracket maybe recessed into the packing piece, if that is the case it will help to stop the bracket trying to twist and to stop any lateral forces as well, along with helping to locate it.

Established Member
331s were damaged at Farrington Jct due to vandals leaving a paving stone foul of the down slow which ripped off the APC magnets. 10 units were affected.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
331s were damaged at Farrington Jct due to vandals leaving a paving stone foul of the down slow which ripped off the APC magnets. 10 units were affected.
Small point, but the magnets are on the track, the train carries an APC receiver…

syorksdeano

How come 10 units were affected? Surely any damaged would have been noticed by the first train to be damaged?

Wolfie

Established Member
You (not you personally, obviously) can attempt to blame CAF for many things but the actions of a destructive mindless moron aren't one of them....

XAM2175

Established Member
Automatic Power Control, yes?
(for automating the opening of the main circuit breaker at neutral sections)

Established Member
How come 10 units were affected? Surely any damaged would have been noticed by the first train to be damaged?
Sorry yes as one who signs these i should knoa better, joys of a 0200 finish last night...

Apparently the paving stone was just fouling enough to affect the receivers, which means it probably wasn't initially apparent from the cabs.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The APC magnets and receivers on both sides, so the APC would most likely carry on working on damaged units unless they happened to pass a neutral section where the magnet was missing. So it wouldn't be found until someone noticed, probably during an overnight check, by which time several units have passed received damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.