• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northerns remaining non PRM compliant 153s ans 142s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Basically if the rumours are true about the EMR 156s going to northern next year means that there'll be only 2 TOCs that will have the 156s on the books, scotrail being the other one.

That's right, Northern will have 67 (or 71 if the Angel Trains units transfer back as well) of the 114 units built.

The Porterbrook units are scheduled to be released first, or at least in theory anyway. Hopefully they're refurbished to the same standard as the ex-ScotRail units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Werdna

That's right, Northern will have 67 (or 71 if the Angel Trains units transfer back as well) of the 114 units built.

The Porterbrook units are scheduled to be released first, or at least in theory anyway. Hopefully they're refurbished to the same standard as the ex-ScotRail units.
Could the rumor just be the EMR 156's covering the Barton Line like there 153's do now ? Was not expecting many changes for a couple of years while the 155/6's pay back the cost of there upgrade, by which time I hoped they would be replaced by internal / external cascades of 158's and possibly the 175's in the North West.

Established Member
Could the rumor just be the EMR 156's covering the Barton Line like there 153's do now ? Was not expecting many changes for a couple of years while the 155/6's pay back the cost of there upgrade, by which time I hoped they would be replaced by internal / external cascades of 158's and possibly the 175's in the North West.

No, they are transferring to replace the entirety of Northern's 153 fleet.

warwickshire

On Moderation
No, they are transferring to replace the entirety of Northern's 153 fleet.
Northern's 153 are staying to at least may 2021. See separate thread for diagrams. However get them in asap if needed. Don't assume they will around at the last minute because they might not be, like the 142s went off lease just recently.

Also mentioned on another thread apparently a company is still making final drives and the wheelsets for Pacers. So maybe Northern did indeed wanted to end the Pacers end of November 2020 early and not make it public.

However I do believe east Midlands railway on Humberside i.e. Barton branch are temporarily keeping 153s for branch to around March next year until the crews have learned 156s. However again that is a rumour.

Last edited by a moderator:

geoffk

Established Member
Platform 3 is being extended as P2 has been taken out, with the points out the signal has been moved about 20m further away from the buffers - however this project is to do with getting trains of 80m turned at North Western for Springs Branch, as the bays were about 70m previously.
The Blackburns have pre-Covid run into North Western, and normally use platform 1 as since December 2019 timetable change some were booked with 153s.
I had a look at platforms 1 to 3 at Wigan NW today. The Leeds train I caught home still went from platform 1 (and only a 2-car 158).

AMD

I had a look at platforms 1 to 3 at Wigan NW today. The Leeds train I caught home still went from platform 1 (and only a 2-car 158).
There is now no platform 2 and platform 3 has yet to be brought back into use.

geoffk

Established Member
There is now no platform 2 and platform 3 has yet to be brought back into use.
Yes, I saw that 2 had been disconnected. Moving the signal would not have been a cheap job!

superkev

Established Member
Re Northerns no PRM compluant 153s.
Assumming an end date of 31st Dec It's getting a bit late for any extension of the derogaration to continue using them.
Will northern have enough units post Covid to manage without them.
A few have been parked at Holbeck as I understand they dont like coupling them to 158s during the leaf fall season due to the different brakes (disk v tread).
I woulnt have thought it a good idea to couple 90mph units to 75mph one anyway.
K

northernchris

Established Member
Re Northerns no PRM compluant 153s.
Assumming an end date of 31st Dec It's getting a bit late for any extension of the derogaration to continue using them.
Will northern have enough units post Covid to manage without them.
A few have been parked at Holbeck as I understand they dont like coupling them to 158s during the leaf fall season due to the different brakes (disk v tread).
K

On the routes where 158s are used the majority are still timed at 75mph so having a 153 attached wouldn't affect punctuality. According to Northern's diagrams which are set to run until May the 153s are sticking around, so they must be reasonably confident the derogation will be extended. They will need them until the 769s are in use on Alderley - Southport which should then free up 10 sprinters giving 20 carriages to replace the 18 153s

geoffk

Established Member
If the 153s are effectively being replaced by 769s, what will the EMR 156s be replacing? Are they to make up the shortfall following the withdrawal of Pacers? Covid has of course disrupted the cascade programme and driver training and I suppose these are running around nine months late.

AMD

So the roundhouse waiting room hasn't been demolished as part of the works then? It has been a while since I have been there due to Covid.
It's still there. All that's changed is that the point between 2 and 3 has come out, signal for 3 moved, platform 2 has a fence along its length and the platform edge at the Warrington end of 3 has been rebuilt to remove the step and the fence there.

RJ

Established Member
K

If there's an instruction not to exceed 75mph there shouldn't be an issue. I rode on such a combination from Carlisle to Leeds the other week and chose to sit in the 153 on the back - the refurbished 158s are not comfortable at all, something isn't right with their table seats.

Mack91

Are pairs of 153s no longer used on the Huddersfield to Sheffield diagrams? There haven't been any for the last two days.

Peter A

Are pairs of 153s no longer used on the Huddersfield to Sheffield diagrams? There haven't been any for the last two days.

Nope, Sheffield-Huddersfield should now be run by a 158 and 2 150's, one of which is allocated to be accompanied by a 153 (but this hasn't happened yet according to RTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.