• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwood Junction - 'non-stopping' trains picking up passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railcar

This thread refers to Norwood Junction Platform 3, the Up Fast.
Of late, I have witnessed instances of Southern services which are announced as 'Stand clear. The next train does not stop at this platform', pulling into the platform and taking on passengers (to London Bridge, non-stop). The same message is shown on the platform display, so it is not just a glitch in the announcement system. I've seen it happen several times, it is not a 'one-off'.

As the driver has obviously been instructed to stop, why are passengers waiting on Platform 3 being given the wrong information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Set down or staff reasons? Is Norwood used for Selhurst based crews? Used to happen some early mornings at Selhurst IIRC for a crew change stopping on the fast unadvertised yet the doors released at people got off

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
At the minute at weekends during May, London Victoria - East Croydon is shut meaning all Southern Long distance services are diverting to London Bridge. Theyt all have 1 minute crew stops at Norwood Junction, with the exception of the East Grinstead trains having 1 minute dwells for passenger.

I don't know, but I suspect what is happening is the driver or station staff are just deciding to let people on anyway, as it won't make a difference to journey time and while trains are getting busier, I suspect none of them are full.

louis97

Established Member
During booked diversions to London Bridge during engineering works a number of trains per hour have staff stops at Norwood Junction. These stops are not advertised to the passenger and not all of them stop, however it is often the case that on platform 3 they will stop and release the doors. Up trains on platform 3 don't require dispatch by staff, so releasing the doors isn't a problem. In the opposite direction, its a different story as certain platforms in the down direction require dispatch by staff.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Any sort of general time? I'm aware they have set down services only, and the CIS can be configured properly at the station so it doesn't show as calling AND also doesn't show it running fast, but it's quite difficult as you have to somewhat 'trick' the system.

Either that or, as mentioned its a crew pick-up for the weekend diversions.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Any sort of general time? I'm aware they have set down services only, and the CIS can be configured properly at the station so it doesn't show as calling AND also doesn't show it running fast, but it's quite difficult as you have to somewhat 'trick' the system.

Either that or, as mentioned its a crew pick-up.
Its services stopping for crew stops, not set down services, due to engineering works at Victoria and services diverting into London Bridge.

Railcar

If these are crew stops, is there a crew room at Norwood Junction? Or do crews come and go from a crew room at the Selhurst depot? If they do, is there a permitted walkway on railway land, or do they catch a bus?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Its services stopping for crew stops, not set down services, due to engineering works at Victoria and services diverting into London Bridge.

I still think that can be configured correctly on the CIS as "unadvertised" or similar, but its been a while since I've looked into that. It might be overridden by safety systems though that if the train is not a booked passenger call, especially somewhere like Norwood Junction which does has limited fast services in normal operation that means this announcement is an unavoidable consequence without being shut off manually.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I still think that can be configured correctly on the CIS as "unadvertised" or similar, but its been a while since I've looked into that. It might be overridden by safety systems though that if the train is not a booked passenger call, especially somewhere like Norwood Junction which does has limited fast services in normal operation that means this announcement is an unavoidable consequence without being shut off manually.

Watford Junction puts up "1st DO NOT BOARD"* for southbound Avanti services, but I don't know if that's being done manually.

* Slightly surprised to see a direct translation of NICHT EINSTEIGEN rather than something more British sounding like "Stand clear" or more wordy.

LA50041

Established Member
If these are crew stops, is there a crew room at Norwood Junction? Or do crews come and go from a crew room at the Selhurst depot? If they do, is there a permitted walkway on railway land, or do they catch a bus?
Yes there is a Norwood Crew Depot which is at the Norwood Junction end of Selhurst Depot and has a dedicated walkway to NWD

Parallel

Established Member
Norwood Junction is an Amey (previously a Ditra) system so the configuration will be different to the ATOS systems used elsewhere. They could in theory play this though.

Attachments

• Norwood.mp3
    94.3 KB

Southern Dvr

These are staff stops, they are an absolute headache because the instructions are that drivers should stop and release the doors as if it were a normal stop. The confusion being caused by the trains not being advertised is so easily avoidable. We’ve had one example of a train stopping but not releasing the doors. Unfortunately a member of staff was booked to travel to Norwood and then relieve another train but were instead over carried to London Bridge. Nobody quite knows why these are being shown as staff stops and not just passenger stops.

greaterwest

Established Member

Norwood Junction is an Amey (previously a Ditra) system so the configuration will be different to the ATOS systems used elsewhere. They could in theory play this though.
The Amey system has the ability to discern a non-passenger stop from a fast train if the schedules have been entered correctly.

In SWR land, I believe this would have said "Stand away from the train at platform X, this train is not in use." and the chimes/French horn sounds would have also played.

LeeLivery

Established Member
A few years back, I was waiting on platform 1 for the Victoria via Crystal Palace. But a fast train to Victoria randomly stopped (diversions). It was quite busy and I spoke to someone at the door - they didn't expect the stop either. I wasn't complaining - I got to Victoria 20 mins quicker!

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Set down or staff reasons? Is Norwood used for Selhurst based crews? Used to happen some early mornings at Selhurst IIRC for a crew change stopping on the fast unadvertised yet the doors released at people got off
There are two crew depots. One at Selhurst, and one at Norwood.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was on one of the diverted Eastbourne to London Bridge trains a few weeks ago and that stopped at Norwood Junction, some people did get on there.

westcoaster

Established Member
If it is the uckfield trains some do stop, for crew change. These are norwood drivers and selhurst conductors.

We stop overnight at selhurst or norwood depending on route taken they are staff stops with door release.

Southern Dvr

If it is the uckfield trains some do stop, for crew change. These are norwood drivers and selhurst conductors.

We stop overnight at selhurst or norwood depending on route taken they are staff stops with door release.

we’ve not done done Uckfield crew changes at Norwood since May 2018 timetable.

theking

These are staff stops, they are an absolute headache because the instructions are that drivers should stop and release the doors as if it were a normal stop. The confusion being caused by the trains not being advertised is so easily avoidable. We’ve had one example of a train stopping but not releasing the doors. Unfortunately a member of staff was booked to travel to Norwood and then relieve another train but were instead over carried to London Bridge. Nobody quite knows why these are being shown as staff stops and not just passenger stops.

How can a staff member be over carried, clear case of someone seeing they can get out of doing a part of their job to the detriment of their colleague

JN114

Established Member
How can a staff member be over carried, clear case of someone seeing they can get out of doing a part of their job to the detriment of their colleague

By being a passenger on the train and the actual driver of the train not stopping at the place at which they’re scheduled to get off; exactly as outlined in the post you quoted…

theking

By being a passenger on the train and the actual driver of the train not stopping at the place at which they’re scheduled to get off; exactly as outlined in the post you quoted…
The train stopped

zwk500

Veteran Member
Can also happen if a diagram is changed at short notice, or a driver is asked to swap diagrams at late notice. It shouldn't, but it does.

theking

But didn’t release the doors - to all intents and purposes, as far as a passenger or a driver travelling as passenger it didn’t stop.

No a driver booked to pass is completely different to joe public its not as if it flew through Norwood at 70 it stopped.

If you are booked to pass and relieve a train and it stops at the station you are meant to alight at and the doors don't release you make an effort to notify the driver or get yourself off I can think of 8 ways off the top of my head you don't just sit there dribbling stitching your colleague up so you don't have to relieve the train your supposed to.

mmh

Established Member
No a driver booked to pass is completely different to joe public its not as if it flew through Norwood at 70 it stopped.

If you are booked to pass and relieve a train and it stops at the station you are meant to alight at and the doors don't release you make an effort to notify the driver or get yourself off I can think of 8 ways off the top of my head you don't just sit there dribbling stitching your colleague up so you don't have to relieve the train your supposed to.

Well I've no idea what the 8 ways are - it'd be interesting to know them! - but I'm going to presume that staff don't know any more than a passenger that the doors aren't going to be released until the train moves off. Presumably telepathy isn't one of the 8?

the sniper

Established Member
Well I've no idea what the 8 ways are - it'd be interesting to know them! - but I'm going to presume that staff don't know any more than a passenger that the doors aren't going to be released until the train moves off. Presumably telepathy isn't one of the 8?

Presumably these 8 ways are on a sliding scale of risk to both the employee and their colleague getting in trouble...

jon0844

Veteran Member
I suspect a fair few of those eight reasons would likely land the member of staff in a fair bit of hot water.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation

A driver booked to pass is exactly the same as Joe public. Train stops, doors release, passing driver gets off. That's how its supposed to work.
The driver driving the train wouldn't be aware of whether they've got passing crew or not

mmh

Established Member
A driver booked to pass is exactly the same as Joe public. Train stops, doors release, passing driver gets off. That's how its supposed to work.
The driver driving the train wouldn't be aware of whether they've got passing crew or not
That's overly simplistic for where we're talking about. For decades late-night trains had unadvertised stops at Selhurst which every local knew of, and the drivers certainly knew the reason they were stoping was to drop off and pick up fellow staff, and decant those who'd worked out all trains stopped there.

Status
Not open for further replies.