• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice of prosecution travelling without ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayayayseba

Last Friday I took a train from Shortlands to Bickley.

As i was going for a run I forgot to grab my wallet when I left the house. I got to Shortlands and realised that I had no wallet and took the train regardless.

Between Bromley south and Bickley an inspector came along and asked me for the ticket. I explained the reason why i didn't have the ticket. He made me get out of the train asked me for my details which I provide truthfully, he asked me for a proof of ID and i mentioned that i don't have it as i didn't have my wallet with me so by login in to my amazon prime account i was able to provide my ID and address. I asked him how much was the penalty he said it was 24 pounds, i asked him if I could make a bank transfer at the moment but he said that bank transfers are not allowed and that i will receive the penalty fare later on by mail.

4 days later i received a notice to prosecution asking me to appeal the charges (which i don't know what they are as the notice only says failed to handover a ticket). I called Thameslink, talk to their customer support explaining the situation and asking them what should I do, as I didn't want to appeal, as I clearly accepted the charges to the inspector on the day, and wanted to pay the fine and whatever costs that i might have caused.

So far nobody has been able to tell me what to do, customer support said that their prosecution department will contact me as i am clearly pleading guilty. But is been a couple of days and so far no contact.

I just want to pay the fine as i clearly don't want any criminal records

Attachments

• 20210721_204042.jpg
    20210721_204042.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210721_204057.jpg
    20210721_204057.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 108
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Last Friday I took a train from Shortland's to Bickley. As i was going for a run I forgot to grab my wallet when i left the house. Got to Shortland's realised that i had no wallet and took the train regardless.
Between Bromley south and Bickley and inspector came along and asked me for the ticket. I explained the reason why i didn't have the ticket. He made me get out of the train asked me for my details which I provide truthfully, he asked me for a proof of ID and i mentioned that i don't have it as i didn't have my wallet with me so by login in to my amazon prime account i was able to provide my ID and address. I asked him how much was the penalty he said it was 24 pounds, i asked him if I could make a bank transfer at the moment but he said that bank transfers are not allowed and that i will receive the penalty fare later on by mail.
4 days later i received a notice to prosecution asking me to appeal the charges (which i don't know what they are as the notice only says failed to handover a ticket). I called Timeslink, talk to their customer support explaining the situation and asking them what should i do as i didnt want to appeal as i clearly accepted the charges to the inspector on the day, and wanted to pay the fine and whatever costs that i might have caused.
So far nobody has been able to tell me what to do, customer support said that their prosecution department will contact me as i am clearly pleading guilty. But is been a couple of days and so far no contact.
I just want to pay the fine as i clearly dont want any criminal records
I think we need to clarify what you were issued with. Was it a penalty fare notice? It sounds like it was not one of those and you have received a notice to prosecute for traveling without a ticket and you say that this is 'asking you to appeal'. That does not make sense to me. Did it 'ask you to Appeal', or tell you that you have the ability to Appeal?

It would help if you could post a copy of the letter you have received with your personal details blanked out. That would help people on here advise you as to the next steps you need to take.

My hunch is that if they are seeking to prosecute you then you need to try to seek an out of court settlement with the railway to avoid court prosecution. But a copy of the letter would help (if you can't upload I guess you could copy type it up but of course that will be rather tedious task).

So more info would help ensure you van get the best advice on next steps.

ayayayseba

I think we need to clarify what you were issued with. Was it a penalty fare notice? It sounds like it was not one of those and you have received a notice to prosecute for traveling without a ticket and you say that this is 'asking you to appeal'. That does not make sense to me. Did it 'ask you to Appeal', or tell you that you have the ability to Appeal?

It would help if you could post a copy of the letter you have received with your personal details blanked out. That would help people on here advise you as to the next steps you need to take.

My hunch is that if they are seeking to prosecute you then you need to try to seek an out of court settlement with the railway to avoid court prosecution. But a copy of the letter would help (if you can't upload I guess you could copy type it up but of course that will be rather tedious task).

So more info would help ensure you van get the best advice on next steps.
Hello thanks for answering back. Yes I have attached a copy of the letter. I have try contacting them asking them how to proceed as I want appealing buy the customer service doenst know and the prosecution department only accepts letters in writing by either mail or fax

Last edited by a moderator:

island

Veteran Member
It looks like you are fortunate enough to be under investigation for the lesser offence of failing to hand over a ticket, rather than the more serious offence of travelling without paying the fare and with the intent to avoid the payment thereof, which you seem to have committed. As you were not in the position to pay on the spot, the cost is increased.

You are being asked to reply with your version of events and I suggest you do so factually and neutrally. You will in most cases then be invited to submit a payment to avoid the matter being taken to court.

Finally, you have omitted to redact your name on the letter and I would suggest you do this.

ayayayseba

Attached letter sent to me

It looks like you are fortunate enough to be under investigation for the lesser offence of failing to hand over a ticket, rather than the more serious offence of travelling without paying the fare and with the intent to avoid the payment thereof, which you seem to have committed. As you were not in the position to pay on the spot, the cost is increased.

You are being asked to reply with your version of events and I suggest you do so factually and neutrally. You will in most cases then be invited to submit a payment to avoid the matter being taken to court.

Finally, you have omitted to redact your name on the letter and I would suggest you do this.
Thanks.
I have already written all what had happened on the letter. I will post it today? By any chance do you know how long does it take for them to process it as I am moving houses next week. Should i include my new postal code in the letter as well?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks.
I have already written all what had happened on the letter. I will post it today? By any chance do you know how long does it take for them to process it as I am moving houses next week. Should i include my new postal code in the letter as well?
I fear that this may be too late, but ...

Yes. Absolutely explain that you are about to move house and give the new address (not just the post code). It is unlikely that you will recieve a response within a week, so if you have already sent the letter you need to send them another one refering to the original case reference. I would also strongly recommend that you set up mail forwarding with Royal Mail for at least six months in case your new address doesn't get updated on your file.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Attached letter sent to me

Thanks.
Hi - Island has given you good advice, so I have nothing to add to that. reply in writing by post I suspect.

Yes, you need to let them know your new address if you are about to move, or pay Royal Mail to redirect all your post (this has a charge but the consequences of missing post sent to your old address, which also includes the risk of people using mail sent to you at your old address to commit ID fraud, makes this good value - see :

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection
or call into any post office to get a form to set it up.

Otherwise the risk is that the railway take you to court and you end up with a criminal record, all because you did not get your post.

ayayayseba

I fear that this may be too late, but ...

Yes. Absolutely explain that you are about to move house and give the new address (not just the post code). It is unlikely that you will recieve a response within a week, so if you have already sent the letter you need to send them another one refering to the original case reference. I would also strongly recommend that you set up mail forwarding with Royal Mail for at least six months in case your new address doesn't get updated on your file.
thanks I will definitely do that. Completely forgot the Royal Mail option

Hi - Island has given you good advice, so I have nothing to add to that. reply in writing by post I suspect.

Yes, you need to let them know your new address if you are about to move, or pay Royal Mail to redirect all your post (this has a charge but the consequences of missing post sent to your old address, which also includes the risk of people using mail sent to you at your old address to commit ID fraud, makes this good value - see :

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection
or call into any post office to get a form to set it up.

Otherwise the risk is that the railway take you to court and you end up with a criminal record, all because you did not get your post.
thanks. I have just done the redirection from royal mail

Deafdoggie

Established Member
thanks I will definitely do that. Completely forgot the Royal Mail option

thanks. I have just done the redirection from royal mail
Do bear in mind that Royal Mail redirection is not automated and relies totally on human input. Humans make mistakes. It's certainly useful, but doesn't replace updating address details.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Last time I had a Royal Mail redirection in place, the receipt of any item of redirected mail was a useful 'aide memoire' as regards me then contacting the sender to advise them / remind them of my change of address.

Status
Not open for further replies.