• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham-Grantham-Boston-Skegness usage (not summer specials)

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
We have regular threads each year over what units and their suitability do the summer Saturday peak loads, but I'm interested in the regular traffic levels and journeys made. I assume, rather than through traffic, eg Nottingham - Boston or Sleaford, this is really two local-feeder routes joined together, ie Skeggy, Boston, Sleaford to Grantham and then to & from London, and local stations from Grantham commuting into Notthingham. Along the way there will be some local mini-commutes into Boston and Sleaford, presumably - since most of the intermediate stations, except Wainfleet and Heckington on the Skeggy line, only get a very limited service outside the 'peaks' (such as they exist).

Piror to Covid, it seemed to me Bottesford deserved more trains, considering its usage figures, which were more or less on par with Bingham, and yet with a more limited service.

But I'd be interested to hear the views of those that use the line, and whether it deserves any improvements - not that EMR seem to interested in anything other than trains to London.

I noted a week or two back one poster saying the fare collection is often very iffy, and therefore the station usage figures do not paint a realistic picture of the real traffic on the line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
The service to Swineshead and Hubberts Bridge is timed around the school traffic to/from Sleaford and Boston. Outside then, there's very little traffic on offer from them.

The increase in calls at Bingham was an EMT decision and they stated at the time it was to compete with the existing bus service to/from Nottingham. No idea what the bus service is like at Bottesford but EMT didn't increase their services.

East of Boston the traffic is very seasonal, and whilst there's a fair bit of traffic during the day, it's not unusual for the last Skegness to Nottingham at 2104 to have 0 passengers during the winter months.

Established Member
The service to Swineshead and Hubberts Bridge is timed around the school traffic to/from Sleaford and Boston. Outside then, there's very little traffic on offer from them.

The increase in calls at Bingham was an EMT decision and they stated at the time it was to compete with the existing bus service to/from Nottingham. No idea what the bus service is like at Bottesford but EMT didn't increase their services.

East of Boston the traffic is very seasonal, and whilst there's a fair bit of traffic during the day, it's not unusual for the last Skegness to Nottingham at 2104 to have 0 passengers during the winter months.
I don't think Bottesford has had a frequent service to Nottingham. Use to just be in the peaks as extensions to the trentbarton services towards Bingham. These have since been cut but there are still buses to Grantham, Melton and Bingham with the Grantham one upto every hour Monday to Friday.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

At least it shows EMT were looking seriously at how they could improve things efficiently, I suppose.
Yes, I can well imagine it's pretty bleak November - March east of Boston. And that last train is too early for a night's drinking in Skeggy (if anyone does that sort of thing). It also misses out Grantham, presumably because nobody wants to go there at 22.45 of an evening - but still stops at Bingham!

I assume the first train into Skeggy off Boston is also frequently an ECS working in practice.

class26

We have regular threads each year over what units and their suitability do the summer Saturday peak loads, but I'm interested in the regular traffic levels and journeys made. I assume, rather than through traffic, eg Nottingham - Boston or Sleaford, this is really two local-feeder routes joined together, ie Skeggy, Boston, Sleaford to Grantham and then to & from London, and local stations from Grantham commuting into Notthingham. Along the way there will be some local mini-commutes into Boston and Sleaford, presumably - since most of the intermediate stations, except Wainfleet and Heckington on the Skeggy line, only get a very limited service outside the 'peaks' (such as they exist).

Piror to Covid, it seemed to me Bottesford deserved more trains, considering its usage figures, which were more or less on par with Bingham, and yet with a more limited service.

But I'd be interested to hear the views of those that use the line, and whether it deserves any improvements - not that EMR seem to interested in anything other than trains to London.

I noted a week or two back one poster saying the fare collection is often very iffy, and therefore the station usage figures do not paint a realistic picture of the real traffic on the line.
It was me the wrote about fare collection being iffy and only yesterday I went into Boston from Heckington. NO sign either way of anyone attempting to collect my fare (and for others boarding at Heckington). I ought to say that I bought a return ticket from the machine on Boston station but I doubt others did. I am keeping a log now and will send it (together with train times / dates etc) to EMR. Sine July I have travelled 5 times on the line and NOT ONCE has there been an attempt to collect my fare.
My point is the passenger figures are no way correct and understate the lines useage considerably. One of those days 16 boarded at Heckington and most all allighted at Sleaford - all travelling free. Another occasion I went to Nottingham. No fare collection to Grantham. then a new guard - no collection to Nottingham but of course at Nottingham there are the ticket barriers but they were open so again FREE !!! This is a scandal

At least it shows EMT were looking seriously at how they could improve things efficiently, I suppose.

Yes, I can well imagine it's pretty bleak November - March east of Boston. And that last train is too early for a night's drinking in Skeggy (if anyone does that sort of thing). It also misses out Grantham, presumably because nobody wants to go there at 22.45 of an evening - but still stops at Bingham!

I assume the first train into Skeggy off Boston is also frequently an ECS working in practice.
Use of the line is not a low in winter than you might imagine. Skegness, especially at weekends generate traffic all year round. Friday is Butlins change over day and trains can be surprisingly busy even in winter but yes, there are some quiet trains at the fringes but I repeat my previous comments that fare collection ON THE TRAIN the train is lamentable so I doubt any figures accurately reflect actual use.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
It was me the wrote about fare collection being iffy and only yesterday I went into Boston from Heckington. NO sign either way of anyone attempting to collect my fare (and for others boarding at Heckington). I ought to say that I bought a return ticket from the machine on Boston station but I doubt others did. I am keeping a log now and will send it (together with train times / dates etc) to EMR. Sine July I have travelled 5 times on the line and NOT ONCE has there been an attempt to collect my fare.
My point is the passenger figures are no way correct and understate the lines useage considerably. One of those days 16 boarded at Heckington and most all allighted at Sleaford - all travelling free. Another occasion I went to Nottingham. No fare collection to Grantham. then a new guard - no collection to Nottingham but of course at Nottingham there are the ticket barriers but they were open so again FREE !!! This is a scandal

Use of the line is not a low in winter than you might imagine. Skegness, especially at weekends generate traffic all year round. Friday is Butlins change over day and trains can be surprisingly busy even in winter but yes, there are some quiet trains at the fringes but I repeat my previous comments that fare collection ON THE TRAIN the train is lamentable so I doubt any figures accurately reflect actual use.
Quite a few do use apps to pay now but Heckington in particular has always been tricky in the Sleaford direction, not much time to get around everyone and a fair few regular "undesirables" that hold you up too.

I work the route very regularly and always collect fares, the local guards at Boston have a reputation for being pretty keen on revenue, maybe some of the Nottingham based staff who also work the route less so.

It's also not just usage based on fare sales - passenger counts that we file go into it too.

In the summer time there is healthy traffic through - lots from Boston to Nottingham as well as Grantham. The new timetable mucked up a lot of Boston to Lincoln journeys but plenty of people still do it.

Heckington to Sleaford, Wainfleet to Skegness, Heckington to Boston are popular local journeys.

Bingham and Aslockton to Bottesford for schools, and Bingham, Aslockton, Bottesford and surprisingly Nottingham to Grantham for a grammar school and college.

Skegness can be quiet in winter, not much open there, but the Butlins weekenders that have expanded in recent years bring I'm some traffic.

You also generate plenty of longer distance Intercity journeys from Boston all over the country all year round.

Edit - also re tickets sales there are a number of annoying bugs with the Envoy on board system being looked at at the moment. The last time I stopped at Heckington I managed one out of 10 passengers before my machine locked up and by the time the card machine restarts, you're in Sleaford!

Last edited:

class26

Quite a few do use apps to pay now but Heckington in particular has always been tricky in the Sleaford direction, not much time to get around everyone and a fair few regular "undesirables" that hold you up too.

I work the route very regularly and always collect fares, the local guards at Boston have a reputation for being pretty keen on revenue, maybe some of the Nottingham based staff who also work the route less so.

It's also not just usage based on fare sales - passenger counts that we file go into it too.

In the summer time there is healthy traffic through - lots from Boston to Nottingham as well as Grantham. The new timetable mucked up a lot of Boston to Lincoln journeys but plenty of people still do it.

Heckington to Sleaford, Wainfleet to Skegness, Heckington to Boston are popular local journeys.

Bingham and Aslockton to Bottesford for schools, and Bingham, Aslockton, Bottesford and surprisingly Nottingham to Grantham for a grammar school and college.

Skegness can be quiet in winter, not much open there, but the Butlins weekenders that have expanded in recent years bring I'm some traffic.

You also generate plenty of longer distance Intercity journeys from Boston all over the country all year round.

Edit - also re tickets sales there are a number of annoying bugs with the Envoy on board system being looked at at the moment. The last time I stopped at Heckington I managed one out of 10 passengers before my machine locked up and by the time the card machine restarts, you're in Sleaford!
Thanks for your observations on the Skegness route.
Maybe a ticket machine on Heckington station is the answer ?

LowLevel

Established Member
Thanks for your observations on the Skegness route.
Maybe a ticket machine on Heckington station is the answer ?
There will be one shortly, albeit card only. Most EMR stations are getting them, you can see the bases have been installed.

Failed Unit

Established Member
There will be one shortly, albeit card only. Most EMR stations are getting them, you can see the bases have been installed.
That is great news, although e-tickets are fine, I was once heading to Cleethorpes and it was almost Barnetby by the time I got a signal strong enough to buy a ticket. (I know they will sell a ticket on the train but this day the guards ticket machine wasn't playing nicely.)

deconte

For travel between Sleaford, Heckington and Boston the traveller is very much reliant on the hourly train. There is just one bus a day between Sleaford and Heckington Monday to Friday (Centrebus 37). From Sleaford and Heckington to Boston there is one bus a month (Sleafordian 36, first Wednesday of month).

Sleaford is fortunate that the bus terminus is at the rail station. However the two regular daily bus routes go to the same places as the train, Grantham and Lincoln.

DannyMich2018

For travel between Sleaford, Heckington and Boston the traveller is very much reliant on the hourly train. There is just one bus a day between Sleaford and Heckington Monday to Friday (Centrebus 37). From Sleaford and Heckington to Boston there is one bus a month (Sleafordian 36, first Wednesday of month).

Sleaford is fortunate that the bus terminus is at the rail station. However the two regular daily bus routes go to the same places as the train, Grantham and Lincoln.
I used to live in Lincolnshire in the period 2001-2007.
We lived in Heckington for a couple of years. I agree about the buses, they were quite poor then. Usage of Heckington Station was good with the peak hour train around 1700 unloading about 20 here. I have good memories of been in Lincolnshire during these years and always enjoyed the variety of units used then, 153, 156, 158 and 170 with 150s making occasional appearances in the summer. We're going Skegness on Sunday for a few days so will take a look at the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.