• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Shame the likes of Arriva and First make virtually no attempt to promote any of their services in tourist areas...
I could agree with Arriva and their half-arsed website and general demeanour but must disagree regarding First.

First Kernow is getting praise for their range of enhanced tourist services but to suggest that they haven't been doing so beforehand is just plain wrong. They have produced high quality timetable booklets and their roadside publicity is good, as is their social media. However, it would be wrong to simply go with the poster boys of First.. Wessex is also pretty good in terms of marketing (e.g. round Weymouth and Jurassic Coast), and so are First West of England; they have fewer touristy services but in places like Wells and Bath (plus Weston), they have spent a lot of time with Mendip Explorer, Somerset's Coaster, Discover, etc. Those are the ones I've personally experienced; I believe that First Eastern Counties have also improved their marketing in places like Great Yarmouth so virtually no attempt....?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
I could agree with Arriva and their half-arsed website and general demeanour but must disagree regarding First.

First Kernow is getting praise for their range of enhanced tourist services but to suggest that they haven't been doing so beforehand is just plain wrong. They have produced high quality timetable booklets and their roadside publicity is good, as is their social media. However, it would be wrong to simply go with the poster boys of First.. Wessex is also pretty good in terms of marketing (e.g. round Weymouth and Jurassic Coast), and so are First West of England; they have fewer touristy services but in places like Wells and Bath (plus Weston), they have spent a lot of time with Mendip Explorer, Somerset's Coaster, Discover, etc. Those are the ones I've personally experienced; I believe that First Eastern Counties have also improved their marketing in places like Great Yarmouth so virtually no attempt....?
Great to hear that First in the South West are actively promoting leisure bus travel, not much evidence of it in Yorkshire though...

daodao

Established Member
Returning to the thread topic, but still encompassing leisure services, High Peak are launching a new summer bus service X99 from Buxton on 30th May.

Between 30th May to 30th August 2021, a new Sunday and Bank Holiday service X99 will operate between Buxton and Alton Towers. The bus will operate as a service 199 from Manchester Airport and Stockport through to Buxton and then as the X99 on to Alton Towers, allowing passengers to travel through the whole journey from Manchester Airport to Alton Towers on one bus with no need to change. During the course of the day, service X99 will operate a local bus service between Buxton and Hartington.

The previous regular Sunday bus service 442 from Buxton to Ashbourne via Hartington was withdrawn a few years ago.

High Peak have also restored the Sunday service on route 58 from Macclesfield to Buxton, with 2 journeys extending to Chatsworth House. The journey over the Cat and Fiddle is one of the most scenic bus trips in England. They have also re-introduced the Saturday diversion to serve Kedleston Hall on route 114 (Derby to Ashbourne).

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
The bus stop outside the Aldi just south of Assarts Farm mentions the L2, but also a new service called the X2. Does anyone know owt about the X2?

nctx

CT4N have a load of new routes and changes from 7th of June. New service 13 from Nottingham to Beeston interchange via Bramcote. A new service 19 Bulwell to Arnold via Mapperley top. X2 runs to Victoria centre part of the L2 route. The L11 Bulwell to Beeston route is cut back and will only run Bulwell to Bracebridge Drive shops (Bilborough). The 18 was due to get branded buses . But I think this has been put back as Ct4n has a ongoing bus shortage.

cnjb8

Established Member
CT4N have a load of new routes and changes from 7th of June. New service 13 from Nottingham to Beeston interchange via Bramcote. A new service 19 Bulwell to Arnold via Mapperley top. X2 runs to Victoria centre part of the L2 route. The L11 Bulwell to Beeston route is cut back and will only run Bulwell to Bracebridge Drive shops (Bilborough). The 18 was due to get branded buses . But I think this has been put back as Ct4n has a ongoing bus shortage.
Ah thank you for this, I couldn't find anything on bustimes

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If anyone has an issue with a post being deleted, do not discuss it in the thread. Contact us directly.

With regard to external sources, you should post the link to your source and place the relevant text from your source within quote tags.

If referring to an external source you should put the text in QUOTE tags, provide details of the source and make a relevant comment to promote discussion

Established Member
Looking at derbysbus.info it shows the 6.1 and Swift will have a improved Sunday service from the 30th. No timetables available yet.

station_road

Looking at derbysbus.info it shows the 6.1 and Swift will have a improved Sunday service from the 30th. No timetables available yet.
Timetables now on the Derbyshire website - the Swift now has an hourly daytime service Derby - Ashbourne - Mayfield on Sundays

Llandudno

Established Member
Some anecdotes relayed to me from a driver from today’s travels on board Hulley’s buses, so may not be 100% accurate:

X70 Chesterfield-Bakewell-Buxton. Drivers have been instructed not to convey any local passengers between Bakewell and Buxton so as not to pinch passengers off High Peak’s TransPeak bus.
The nearest stop in Bakewell that passengers may board the X70 to Buxton is half a mile out of the town centre at Newholme Hospital.

No mention of these picking up restrictions on the Derbyshire County Council website though.

X57 Sheffield-Manchester via the Snake Pass is proving extremely popular, especially with students from Broomhill, Sheffield and residents of Glossop, and that on weekends the buses are really busy. Not bad considering that we are still in partial lockdown and the the late evening journeys have only just starting operating

Last edited by a moderator:

M60lad

Considering how popular X57 is proving to be is there a chance that a future timetable change could be introduced to increase the service to hourly to/from Manchester?

Yes I know how long and the process it takes to change a bus timetable but I thought that it might be something we might see sometime later this year or maybe next year now.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Some anecdotes relayed to me from a driver from today’s travels on board Hulley’s buses, so may not be 100% accurate:

X70 Chesterfield-Bakewell-Buxton. Drivers have been instructed not to convey any local passengers between Bakewell and Buxton so as not to pinch passengers off High Peak’s TransPeak bus.
The nearest stop in Bakewell that passengers may board the X70 to Buxton is half a mile out of the town centre at Newholme Hospital.

No mention of these picking up restrictions on the Derbyshire County Council website though.
Shouldn't this be reported to the competition and markets authority since this is an anti competitive arrangement?
Very strange situation there. Are Hulleys in close partnership with High Peak or are they trying to prevent future backlash from High Peak competing?

RELL6L

Shouldn't this be reported to the competition and markets authority since this is an anti competitive arrangement?
Very strange situation there. Are Hulleys in close partnership with High Peak or are they trying to prevent future backlash from High Peak competing?
I don't see how it is anti-competitive to choose not to offer a particular product (ie travel from Bakewell to Buxton) for any reason. If you felt that in doing so you would suffer the wrath of a mighty competitor then it might be very sensible. I could sell sausage rolls in the village shop and find a good niche market, but if I then opened opposite Greggs in the town I might expect some greater retribution. Not that High Peak and Greggs should be compared in such a way! If Hulleys have chosen to offer travel to Buxton from Chesterfield and Baslow but not Bakewell village centre that's their decision.

Great to see reports that the X57 is doing well with Sheffield students and the good people of Glossop. Maybe with the airport extension it can appeal to Manchester students too.

duncombec

That would depend on whether anything has actually been arranged, or whether it is simply a commercial decision by Hulleys not to carry local passengers over that section... they cannot be forced to do so just because there is another service there.
The restriction is actually listed in the footer of the timetable https://irp.cdn-website.com/8ad37f44/files/uploaded/170.X70 With Summary MAY21.pdf (I can't quote it as it is a non-editable PDF)

Going northbound, X70 leaves Bakewell 4 minutes earlier than the TP3, and arrives 23 minutes earlier, southbound leaves Buxton 15 minutes earlier and arrives 35 minutes earlier (as X70 does a loop in Buxton and TP runs to Sylvan Park).

I'd imagine Hulleys don't want the X70 being slowed down for passengers through from Chesterfield by turning into a local service over the last leg.

ALEMASTER

The Hope Valley Explorer tourist buses are back this summer from 23rd July (see https://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/visitor-information/getting-here/by-bus).

Due to the bigger buses Edale will not be served this year.

Ticket prices are frozen the same as 2019 - £4 single or £6 for a day ticket, ENCTS pass holders get half price. New this year they will be accepting Gold DayRider, Gold MegaRider and Derbyshire Wayfarer tickets on this service, expect more details to appear at stagecoachbus.com nearer the time.
Hope Valley Explorer
Leave the car behind, take the train from Sheffield or Manchester and join the Hope Valley Explorer at Hope or Bamford. Or hop aboard direct from Chesterfield or Dronfield.
The Hope Valley Explorer bus service will operate from 23 July – 3 Oct 2021, with larger buses than previous years to increase capacity. This year’s service will also provide storage for two bicycles via dedicated racks, available on a first-come, first served basis along the route. Ticket prices have been frozen at 2019 rates, when the service last operated. Timetables will be available from June at www.peakdistrict.gov.uk

SCH117X

Established Member
The restriction is actually listed in the footer of the timetable https://irp.cdn-website.com/8ad37f44/files/uploaded/170.X70 With Summary MAY21.pdf (I can't quote it as it is a non-editable PDF)

I'd imagine Hulleys don't want the X70 being slowed down for passengers through from Chesterfield by turning into a local service over the last leg.
Can't see how they can guarantee the wording of that footer - how does passenger wanting to use the X70 to connect into one of the listed services stop the bus en route to get on?

DDB

The new timetables are now on CT4N's website. Including the new '2' to reolace the L1 though Wilford village. I don't see the point as it only does 2 journeys a day and only 2 days a week. Also the 22 is going to be diverted into Wilford village as well and has 5 journeys a day every weekday.

SCH117X

Established Member
The 2 provides a link to the City for those unable to use the tram; the 22 really only provides a link with a Morrisons store given the reverse service around the circular route does not serve Wilford Village. IIRC when a service was first introduced to the village Nottingham City Transport's (NCT) route ran 76 long before the tram was thought of and was a single working each way on 2 or 3 days a week.

DDB

The 2 provides a link to the City for those unable to use the tram; the 22 really only provides a link with a Morrisons store given the reverse service around the circular route does not serve Wilford Village. IIRC when a service was first introduced to the village, NCT 76 long before the tram was thought of it, was a single working each way on 2 or 3 days a week
Passengers can always change from the 22 to one of the many services that does go into town. I am assuming that practically all the users are free bus passes anyway and so changing services wouldn't cost any more. I grant you the return journey is considerably harder becasue it isn't clear where you would change.

I can't think of circumstances where a person who was able to use a bus, wouldn't be able to use a tram?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Passengers can always change from the 22 to one of the many services that does go into town. I am assuming that practically all the users are free bus passes anyway and so changing services wouldn't cost any more. I grant you the return journey is considerably harder becasue it isn't clear where you would change.

I can't think of circumstances where a person who was able to use a bus, wouldn't be able to use a tram?
Trams are intrinsically more accessible than buses, as they will always have level boarding and fewer uncontrolled accelerations (in any direction) that risk throwing people around. However a bus has the driver close to the door to make sure people board and alight OK, and it's a bit of a walk from some parts of Wilford to the tramstops by the Ferry Inn or on Wilford Lane.

SCH117X

Established Member
Indeed and then there are those who have difficulty walking a distance; saw one poor chap the other week who could only shuffle but seemed to heading towards the shops.

DDB

Yes I can see the need for a bus as well as the tram but given the 22 is going to go up there 5 times a day, 5 times a week and will then go to places where you can change for a another bus or tram into town I don't see a 4 journeys a week service getting much business.

Established Member
Timetables now on the Derbyshire website - the Swift now has an hourly daytime service Derby - Ashbourne - Mayfield on Sundays
Looks like the new services are run out of Derby rather than Ashbourne where the Swift vehicles stay overnight.

Sunday service on Hucknall connect green route returns tomorrow.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Apologies if already mentioned, but I see Hulleys appear to be working in partnership with Thomas Cook on the X57, with their holidaymakers getting 25% off adult fares.

(Tweet featuring image advertising “If your holiday is booked with Thomas Cook you will receive a 25% discount on adult fares” and the wording “In association with Thomas Cook”)

The restriction IS listed on the current "derbybus" timetable that the Derbyshire County Council (DCC) website points to.

BUT both Traveline and Google both offer the 0740 Hulleys Buxton-Bakewell journey (for example) on their planners, without caveat.

Is this just a bit of info that Hulleys didn't supply, or which some intermediary agency hasn't bothered adding to the database?

Or is it a bigger problem, ie that the data system underpinning the journey planners cannot handle this sort of restriction, and so we set up passengers to fail. In a rural area with extended service intervals, that can be quite a major fail: show up in Buxton for the 0740 to Bakewell, and if Hulleys do impose their rule, the next permitted bus will see you in Bakewell 70 minutes later than you expected. If you were changing at Bakewell for Youlgrave (even though it would be on another Hulleys service), you would be two hours late into Youlgrave.

Llandudno

Established Member
The restriction IS listed on the current "derbybus" timetable that the Derbyshire County Council (DCC) website points to.

BUT both Traveline and Google both offer the 0740 Hulleys Buxton-Bakewell journey (for example) on their planners, without caveat.

Is this just a bit of info that Hulleys didn't supply, or which some intermediary agency hasn't bothered adding to the database?

Or is it a bigger problem, ie that the data system underpinning the journey planners cannot handle this sort of restriction, and so we set up passengers to fail. In a rural area with extended service intervals, that can be quite a major fail: show up in Buxton for the 0740 to Bakewell, and if Hulleys do impose their rule, the next permitted bus will see you in Bakewell 70 minutes later than you expected. If you were changing at Bakewell for Youlgrave (even though it would be on another Hulleys service), you would be two hours late into Youlgrave.
The restriction is now listed on the Derbyshire County Council (DCC) website after I pointed it out to them.

It would appear that you are allowed to travel between Buxton and Bakewell on Hulley’s X70 if you are transferring to another Hulley’s bus at Bakewell such as the Youlgreave service you have mentioned.

Not sure how it’s enforced though...?

Also you can travel using a Hulley’s Hopper ticket or Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket, strange!

markymark2000

On Moderation
The restriction IS listed on the current "derbybus" timetable that the DCC website points to.

Journey planners would be able to solve a small part of the problem in Buxton if there were pick up/set down restrictions put in place which then bans local journeys in Buxton.
The Bakewell issue I don't think can be solved though since you either allow or disallow boarding/alighting. If you allow, you keep it as it is, to disallow, you put in pick up/set down restrictions.

TR673

I have heard a rumour that Nottingham City Transport (NCT) brown line 15/16 is due to get double deckers by the end of the year and navy 48 downgraded to singles.
Does anyone know if that's actually happening or just speculation?