• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire Heritage Centre (GCRN) news and updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up Main

An interesting and welcome development arising, is due to the imminent replacement of the GCRN/NHR A60 bridge.

The Thompson B1 Locomotive Trust, have announced that B1 no.1264 is moving to the Nottingham Heritage Railway (NHR) to begin its next overhaul, departing from its operating base of the last 10 years at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR).

The move is a return to its spiritual home, as 61264 ended its career with British Railways when it was withdrawn from the nearby Colwick depot in 1967. The NHR is also an historically appropriate base because B1s, including 61264, were regular performers on the Great Central mainline.

The Trust intend to keep the locomotive mainline registered, so the NHR’s soon-to-be restored connection to the Midland Mainline is a key factor in the Trust’s decision to move it to Ruddington.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An interesting and welcome development arising, is due to the imminent replacement of the GCRN/NHR A60 bridge.

The Thompson B1 Locomotive Trust, have announced that B1 no.1264 is moving to the Nottingham Heritage Railway (NHR) to begin its next overhaul, departing from its operating base of the last 10 years at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR).

The move is a return to its spiritual home, as 61264 ended its career with British Railways when it was withdrawn from the nearby Colwick depot in 1967. The NHR is also an historically appropriate base because B1s, including 61264, were regular performers on the Great Central mainline.

The Trust intend to keep the locomotive mainline registered, so the NHR’s soon-to-be restored connection to the Midland Mainline is a key factor in the Trust’s decision to move it to Ruddington.

That is good news.

On Moderation
That is good news.
On the face of it, yes. But talk of mainline connections for the NHR is somewhat fanciful right now - they haven't run a train outside the Ruddington site (let alone a passenger carrying one) in over two years now. One step at a time, I'd suggest.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On the face of it, yes. But talk of mainline connections for the NHR is somewhat fanciful right now - they haven't run a train outside the Ruddington site (let alone a passenger carrying one) in over two years now. One step at a time, I'd suggest.

Yes fair comment. I was more thinking about the actual engineering work being based at Ruddington as they restore the loco really.

Flying Phil

Established Member
It sounds as though the B1 will be overhauled at Ruddington and so will not be needing/using a main line connection for a couple of years at least. The new A60 bridge is due to be installed by the end of October this year, I believe, so the main line connection may well be up and running by the end of this year possibly?

On Moderation
It sounds as though the B1 will be overhauled at Ruddington and so will not be needing/using a main line connection for a couple of years at least. The new A60 bridge is due to be installed by the end of October this year, I believe, so the main line connection may well be up and running by the end of this year possibly?
The A60 bridge is only part of the issue. The NHR need to get back to running trains before anything can happen at that end of the line.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve just moved this into a new thread. What actually is the current situation with the railway?
I saw on wnxx that 56097 is looking for a new home at the moment too.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I hope some up to date information will come, indirectly, tomorrow as it is the GCR AGM. Several GCR "high ups" are now directors of the GCR(N).

Watching the GCR AGM was a bit of a trial due to very poor sound quality but it was said that a lot of work was still to be done to get Ruddington back to running down to Lbro....
However the Gypsum trains only go to East Leake, so that might be happening sooner ?

Last edited:

Up Main

When the A60 bridge and associated infrastructure works have been completed and signed off to a reconnected MML, it is possible, that rail traffic can traverse to Rushcliffe Halt - Hotchley Hill, subject to this being passed too. This section may become the first to see opportunities for rail use.

There is no indication that British Gypsum have any immediate plans.

Last edited:

GOEdwards

Interesting lunchtime strolling around the site at Ruddington (and a very enjoyable ride on the miniature railway, hauled by a superb model B1).

There was some shunting going on which was interesting to see. The frames and cab of a tank engine were taken out of one shed hauled by the Cl37 which was being hauled by an 08, then when walking back up to Ruddington over the bridge in the park, an 08 hauled a long rake of rolling stock out through the gates and onto the spur, and back in to another siding. Fascinating to watch.

The 125 group are having a meet the fleet in August (20th/21st i think) so it will be interesting to have a look around then.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The three s160 locomotives have been put up for sale from the Ruddington site. This and the recent flurry of activity is a good indication that the GCR(N) is awakening!

Status
Not open for further replies.