• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NSWGR steam engine 3801 return to heritage service after an over decade long overhaul in Sydney, Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedimasterc

This past weekend the 13th and 14th of March 2021 saw the return of steam train 3801 to operational heritage service. I thought I would post some links to my friend Phil's vlog page that he posted just recently. There might be an XPT in one of these videos as well

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LesS

The running over last weekend was very successful with full trains (covid compliant) both days. I can say this because I was involved with the running. On the Sunday a points failure occurred in the morning on the approach to Hurstvile needing urgent repairs. This meant all services were reduced to two tracks resulting in delays to several revenue services. The repairs were carried out in steady rain.

This weekend there were 2 return trips to the Southern Highlands with sold out loads. A carriage in the middle of the empty cars consist working in to Central derailed. I have heard an unconfirmed rumour as to the cause which I will await confirmation before repeating. The second trip, today, Sunday I have no confirmation whether or not it ran. I believe that it probably did.

Before Easter 3801 will depart for a 2 week visit to Southern New South Wales with local tours running out of both Albury and Junee.

While you have been freezing in the northern hemisphere there has been consistent heavy rain all along the NSW coast for a week and is forecast to continue until next weekend. There is severe coastal flooding with several rail services cancelled and major roads closed by flooding. Happily there are few restrictions on activities and no general lockdowns in NSW since last May.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The running over last weekend was very successful with full trains (covid compliant) both days. I can say this because I was involved with the running. On the Sunday a points failure occurred in the morning on the approach to Hurstvile needing urgent repairs. This meant all services were reduced to two tracks resulting in delays to several revenue services. The repairs were carried out in steady rain.

This weekend there were 2 return trips to the Southern Highlands with sold out loads. A carriage in the middle of the empty cars consist working in to Central derailed. I have heard an unconfirmed rumour as to the cause which I will await confirmation before repeating. The second trip, today, Sunday I have no confirmation whether or not it ran. I believe that it probably did.

Before Easter 3801 will depart for a 2 week visit to Southern New South Wales with local tours running out of both Albury and Junee.

While you have been freezing in the northern hemisphere there has been consistent heavy rain all along the NSW coast for a week and is forecast to continue until next weekend. There is severe coastal flooding with several rail services cancelled and major roads closed by flooding. Happily there are few restrictions on activities and no general lockdowns in NSW since last May.
Interesting report, thanks for posting. Our thoughts are with the people who have been affected by the recent flooding in you area.

LesS

This is very interesting footage.
The heavy steel train; -WM2; and its empty return working are reliable and run most days. The service is from the steelworks at Port Kembla (near Wollongong) to Westernport (east of Melbourne). The loaded train is very heavy being mostly coiled steal with a few waggons of flat steel. Immediately on departure from Port Kembla the train faces 20 miles of a constant 1 in 30 grade. The grades continue to be heavy all the way to Junee. There is usually 5 or 6 locomotives up front. These are reduced at Junee from where the grades are easier.
The VLine train is valuable historic footage because they loco and cars are to be retired in favour of some high speed DMUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.