• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR Whitby

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'm sure it was out of Whitby towards Grosmont because it was still fairly light at that point. By the time we were heading downhill from Goathland towards Pickering, it was getting pretty dark outside. Maybe the loco was just particularly short of steam or the rails were particularly slippy, I'm not sure.
Infact, I seem to remember going very slowly too along the line from Whitby, just before it got to Grosmont. You can also hear the steam loco working hard when hauling a long train from Grosmont to Goathaland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MML

Given there are turntables at Pickering and Grosmont, why aren't the former mainline steam locos turned so they are facing right way for each journey. I can understand the smaller tank engines operating tender first in one direction, as that is how they used to operate on branch lines in bygone days.
But it looks very odd seeing the larger steam locos operating tender first, as they were neither designed for this direction of travel and rarely operated in reverse except for the purposes of shunting. Visibility of the line ahead must be obscured when operating in reverse anyway.

I would have thought the activity of regularly turning large steam locos on a turntable would have been just the sort of interesting activity which would have kept visitors entertained between train departures.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Given there are turntables at Pickering and Grosmont, why aren't the former mainline steam locos turned so they are facing right way for each journey. I can understand the smaller tank engines operating tender first in one direction, as that is how they used to operate on branch lines in bygone days.
On a small point, tank engines operate bunker-first not tender-first, as they don't have tenders. I assume the reason they aren't used is because the turntables aren't long enough for a 70'-long engine. Or they aren't strong enough to take engines, only carriages/wagons or indeed the access roads to the turntable are full of other stock not to be kept continually clear for the engine.
But it looks very odd seeing the larger steam locos operating tender first, as they were neither designed for this direction of travel and rarely operated in reverse except for the purposes of shunting. Visibility of the line ahead must be obscured when operating in reverse anyway.
It does look odd but actually did happen more often than would be supposed. Visibility is reduced as is the cornering ability due to no leading pony truck, hence why it was avoided where possible.
I would have thought the activity of regularly turning large steam locos on a turntable would have been just the sort of interesting activity which would have kept visitors entertained between train departures.
It's not that interesting tbh, it's just a loco turning round that takes about 3 minutes. And that assumes the turntables are visible from the public areas.

Tomnick

Established Member

Time will be a factor - turnaround times are generally pretty tight, and constrained by the timings over the single line sections too.

kje7812

Depends if there's enough time in the scheduled turnaround time for the loco to be turned. Of course, the timetables can be re-written to provide time.

Depends what tender you've got. Something like a 3500 gallon tender on a 28xx gives about the same, if not better than going forward.

D6130

Established Member
I seem to remember going very slowly too along the line from Whitby, just before it got to Grosmont.
Come to think of it, if you're going back three or four years, there was a lengthy and long-standing 10 mph temporary speed restriction for over a mile between Grosmont and Sleights due to embankment subsidence. AFAIK, this has now been rectified - although, as always, I'm open to correction.

75A

Established Member
I was there yesterday & the 9F 92134 was running between Pickering & Grosmont. with the Green Rat D7628 doing the bit between Grosmont & Whitby. The 9F can't go on the National Network to Whitby because of it's flangeless centre wheels., which would have issues with raised check rails on points / crossovers.

Attachments

• 20210622_123542.jpg
    20210622_123542.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 56

MML

There is no turntable at Grosmont. Or Whitby.
(Unless someone has installed it in the last few days.)
I know there are only platforms at Whitby but I thought a turntable was in existence at Grosmont engine shed and could be used when refueling. It is a number of years since I visited Grosmont so apologies for the failing memory. A single turntable at Pickering obviously wouldn't be sufficient.

Skutter

Given there are turntables at Pickering and Grosmont, why aren't the former mainline steam locos turned so they are*8 facing right way for each journey. I can understand the smaller tank engines operating tender first in one direction, as that is how they used to operate on branch lines in bygone days.
There's not one at Grosmont any more, it was only a small one and seems to have been removed in BR days. Even if it was usable, it's preferred to have the smokebox uphill on the long gradient to Goathland and give more water at the firebox end of the boiler.

Although it won't be of interest to everyone, diesel 47840 (numbered 47077 now) is being hired to the line from the West Somerset Railway from this summer. Its expected that it will be cover the full route up to Whitby when it does start being used.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I think the turntable at Pickering is a little way from the station, so would add time to the turnaround (Sorry for the pun there) at that station. Not sure how large it is either?

Although it won't be of interest to everyone, diesel 47840 (numbered 47077 now) is being hired to the line from the West Somerset Railway from this summer. Its expected that it will be cover the full route up to Whitby when it does start being used.
I suppose if the NYMR is paying for the hire of that loco, it will provide a bit of much needed revenue for the WSR.

On Moderation
I suppose if the NYMR is paying for the hire of that loco, it will provide a bit of much needed revenue for the WSR.
It won’t as the loco is owned by the DEPG rather than the railway itself.

alexl92

Established Member
On a small point, tank engines operate bunker-first not tender-first, as they don't have tenders. I assume the reason they aren't used is because the turntables aren't long enough for a 70'-long engine. Or they aren't strong enough to take engines, only carriages/wagons or indeed the access roads to the turntable are full of other stock not to be kept continually clear for the engine.

It does look odd but actually did happen more often than would be supposed. Visibility is reduced as is the cornering ability due to no leading pony truck, hence why it was avoided where possible.

It's not that interesting tbh, it's just a loco turning round that takes about 3 minutes. And that assumes the turntables are visible from the public areas.
Pickering turntable is just big enough to take the 9F! Check this out! However, I think it's usually only used to turn stock a) to even out tyre wear and b) if it's been delivered to or outshopped facing the wrong way.

There is no turntable at Grosmont. Or Whitby.
(Unless someone has installed it in the last few days.)
:lol: this is an excellent point!

I was there yesterday & the 9F 92134 was running between Pickering & Grosmont. with the Green Rat D7628 doing the bit between Grosmont & Whitby. The 9F can't go on the National Network to Whitby because of it's flangeless centre wheels., which would have issues with raised check rails on points / crossovers.
I heard somewhere that the railway did consider applying for an exemption to run the 9F between Whitby and Batterby but something about some curves being too tight made it not worth it.

Yeah I saw this! Interesting choice, going for a BR Blue type 4! I guess it comes down to what's available for hire. It's a 2 year loan I believe.

philthetube

Established Member
When I last travelled form Whitby it was behind a diesel and there were many complaints from tourists about this, and the lady id not booking office seemed to be constantly apologising. It was only because they were assured thet the engine would be switched up the line that some travelled.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
When I last travelled form Whitby it was behind a diesel and there were many complaints from tourists about this, and the lady id not booking office seemed to be constantly apologising. It was only because they were assured thet the engine would be switched up the line that some travelled.

People don't want to pay the best part of £90 for two Pickering > Whitby returns and have a diesel! I am not sure I can blame them in normal times but have a bit more sympathy at this odd time. That said we had a trip a week or two ago. It was very nice but the boss was unimpressed with the Diesel between Grosmont > Whitby > Grosmont.

John Webb

Established Member
I've noticed on the Grosmont webcam that most of the Grosmont-Whitby and return trips in recent weeks have been by diesel, swapping from/to steam at Grosmont to get to Pickering.
I wonder if there's some sort of problem at Whitby - water shortage, perhaps?

fireftrm

I've noticed on the Grosmont webcam that most of the Grosmont-Whitby and return trips in recent weeks have been by diesel, swapping from/to steam at Grosmont to get to Pickering.
I wonder if there's some sort of problem at Whitby - water shortage, perhaps?
John there is no watering facility at Whitby - the reason is the unavailability of steam locos, or recently top and tailing steam and the Class 25 to avpoid a bird nest, this is now finished

John Webb

Established Member
John there is no watering facility at Whitby - the reason is the unavailability of steam locos, or recently top and tailing steam and the Class 25 to avpoid a bird nest, this is now finished
Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.