• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR Winter work 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Were the NYMR planning a season-opening gala with a special guest this year? I can't see anything about it on their website.

Not specifically, as the new season starts Monday 6th of April. This is mainly due to the planned replacement of Bridge 27 at Goathland and unexpected early replacement of Bridge 8 at Pickering. It had been planned to replace Bridge 8 in the near future, but unfortunately it had deteriorated faster than expected.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unfortunately due to the Coronavirus emergency. The Moors will not be opening on April 6th and will not be running for the foreseeable future or until things improve/the Government advise otherwise. See the website for further information, https://www.nymr.co.uk/

Last edited:

Neen Sollars

Not specifically, as the new season starts Monday 6th of April. This is mainly due to the planned replacement of Bridge 27 at Goathland ad unexpected early replacement of Bridge 8 at Pickering. It had been planned to replace Bridge 8 in the near future, but unfortunately it had deteriorated faster than expected.

2392 Question please. Was the replacement works at Bridge 27 and Bridge 8 and running line re-instated before the C19 lockdown was imposed?

2392 Question please. Was the replacement works at Bridge 27 and Bridge 8 and running line re-instated before the C19 lockdown was imposed?

Unfortunately the current lockdown has stopped work. The Down [to Grosmont/Whitby] line at Goathland has been laid, don't know how far on they are/were with the ballasting/aligning. The Up [to Pickering] is still to be laid, as for bridge 8 it was pretty well swapped, though how far on they were relaying the track I'm not sure. Ironically tomorrow Monday 6th of April was to have been the start of the 2020 season.......

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Out of curiosity, was the smaller Kirov crane able to get away after fixing bridge 8? or did the lockdown trap it on the NYMR?

Ploughman

Established Member
The track over at least the Up line at Br 8 has been relaid and has had an 08 cross it.
The KiROW crane was released just prior to the lockdown and has departed.
No tamping has yet been carried out that I know of.
The NYMR has shut down almost totally with 2 staff members retained on PW work.

John Webb

Established Member

Ploughman

Established Member
I have been waiting since the initial issue of this newsletter to get a downloadable copy.
I thought I had one as it opened for me whe I check clicked on the link.
Other than that I will need to wait until the NYMR I T get round to loading it. Sorry I can't help more.
Unless you register on the NYMR unofficial forum website.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I see that the NYMR are starting some services from Pickering to Whitby next week.

John Webb

Established Member
It would be nice to see a concluding blog entry on the 2019-2020 Winter work - the last one is from March 10th before work was completed on Bridge 27 at Goathland. I appreciate there was much happening shortly after that date, but could someone spare an hour or so, now that trains are running again, just to 'round things off' please?

Ploughman

Established Member
It would be nice to see a concluding blog entry on the 2019-2020 Winter work - the last one is from March 10th before work was completed on Bridge 27 at Goathland. I appreciate there was much happening shortly after that date, but could someone spare an hour or so, now that trains are running again, just to 'round things off' please?
I usually post the blogs given by the lines Civil Engineer. However nothing has been heard from him. He is heavily involved with e new carriage stable and working to Heritage Lottery requirements.
With absolute minimum staff on the NYMR is anyone in the office to post detail.
I do know that a number of sites have been worked on other than the 2 main bridge jobs, I will try and put together an up to date situation report.
Even I as an active PW volunteer have not been to the railway until today from March.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I hope, with some easing of restrictions, there will be more passengers being able to travel on the NYMR, one of my favorite lines.

Ploughman

Established Member
OK here goes with my disjointed ramblings.
Br 27 at Goathland replacement of bridge and renewal of track over the bridge.
Br 8 Trout Farm at Pickering, Urgent replacement of bridge and redesign of track alignment (300mm plus track lift) in connetion with Carriage stable works.
Newtondale Halt Removal of wet beds within the platform length involving excavation of clay contamination.
Along the Railway Tamping using contract Tampers on approx 5 sites.
Ballast tipping along the railway. Both for Renewal sites and Maintenance.
Uplift of scrap bogies and other materials from the Long Siding at Pickering in conjunction with Carriage Stable works.
S+T work relocating main trough route from West to East side between Pickering and Newbridge.
Drainage and Ditching works near Levisham on hold.

These are what I know of there are more works ongoing or remaining on hold for the moment.
All PW works have been carried out by 2 members of staff and 1 Trackwalking volunteer.
Between them they have managed to complete a fantastic amount of work while complying with unforeseen restrictions.

Well Done Martyn, Darren and Mike.

John Webb

Established Member
Br 8 Trout Farm at Pickering, Urgent replacement of bridge and redesign of track alignment (300mm plus track lift) in connetion with Carriage stable works.
Newtondale Halt Removal of wet beds within the platform length involving excavation of clay contamination.
Uplift of scrap bogies and other materials from the Long Siding at Pickering in conjunction with Carriage Stable works.
S+T work relocating main trough route from West to East side between Pickering and Newbridge.

These are what I know of there are more works ongoing or remaining on hold for the moment.
All PW works have been carried out by 2 members of staff and 1 Trackwalking volunteer.
Between them they have managed to complete a fantastic amount of work while complying with unforeseen restrictions.

Many thanks!

unslet

At Goathland,work is still progressing daily by a small team to reconnect the pointwork and signalling after replacement of bridge 27.Partial hand signalling is in operation at the moment,not a problem as very few trains are running.
South end point rodding and signal wires have all needed rerouting owing to the bridge replacement.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Thank you for this.

OK these are not directly the NYMR, but, the Network Rail Esk Valley line Middlesbrough - Whitby. These three 10 min +/- YouTube shorts show the Network Rail ballast train arriving via Nunthorpe to the section of the Esk Valley that is covered by the Moors TOC license from Grosmont to Battersby [and mainly Whitby]. Unfortunately the Moors rarely run to Battersby these days, main due to the increase in the number of Northern Trains down the Branch and their timings.

John Webb

Established Member
Thanks for that. I'd like to have seen the reinstatement of the signalling equipment as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.