• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OBB to expand Int'l passenger network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation

As mentioned, the 5 routes are:
Wien - Stuttgart (IC、KISS)
München - Milano (EC、ETR 610)
Wien - Berlin (ICE、ICE-T)
Wien - Kraków/Wroclaw(EC、loco-hauled)
9 RJ/EC will extend from Wien to Bratislava via Marchegg

First, I wondered if enough KISS are available as some may be used for the Stuttgart-Zurich services
Among the 9 RJ/EC which will be extended to Bratislava, which pair will be the lucky guy
Also, once Brenner Base Tunnel opened, will the Munich-Milan EC divert via there and switch to ETR1000?

Also, I wondered if there are news about ED250's homologation to Austria/Czech/Germany?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andersj

The KISS are being maintained in Wien, so the IC Stuttgart - Wien will run once every night to exchange trains with the workshop. The same is the case for the Warnemünde-Wien IC with KISS.

IC 460 to Stuttgart will depart Wien Hbf at 21:55 and Salzburg at 00:51. The timetable in Germany is currently unknown.
IC 461 from Stuttgart will arrive in Salzburg at 02:48 and Wien Hbf at 06:05.

Austriantrain

Established Member
First, I wondered if enough KISS are available as some may be used for the Stuttgart-Zurich services

The Stuttgart- Wien service is a „garage run“. The DB KISS are serviced in Vienna, and just as there is an overnight KISS service from Vienna to Berlin and Rostock now, there will be an overnight train to Stuttgart once the KISS start to operate from there.
Among the 9 RJ/EC which will be extended to Bratislava, which pair will be the lucky guy

I can’t tell for sure, but most RJX services arriving in Vienna from the West are double sets, with one of those going on go Vienna airport. Since those from Munich/Bregenz have one set to Budapest (and the second to the airport), it will likely be the one set on the Zürich trains that currently terminates at Wien Hbf.

The EC trains would start in Vienna and go on towards Kosice.

Also, once Brenner Base Tunnel opened, will the Munich-Milan EC divert via there and switch to ETR1000?

Since no one knows when the tunnel opens (but it will be 2030 at the earliest), there might be some ideas floating around, but certainly no firm plans.

The KISS are being maintained in Wien, so the IC Stuttgart - Wien will run once every night to exchange trains with the workshop. The same is the case for the Warnemünde-Wien IC with KISS.

Sorry, I hadn’t read your answer before answering myself.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can’t tell for sure, but most RJX services arriving in Vienna from the West are double sets, with one of those going on go Vienna airport. Since those from Munich/Bregenz have one set to Budapest (and the second to the airport), it will likely be the one set on the Zürich trains that currently terminates at Wien Hbf.
Do we know when the Marchegg route to Bratislava will be fully electrified?

Austriantrain

Established Member
Do we know when the Marchegg route to Bratislava will be fully electrified?

The plans quoted in the introductory post re Bratislava are for December 2023. From what I know, not much has been done on the Slovak side yet, so we will have to wait and see…

Beebman

The plans quoted in the introductory post re Bratislava are for December 2023. From what I know, not much has been done on the Slovak side yet, so we will have to wait and see…
I did Wien-Bratislava 2 months ago and there was absolutely no sign of any work on the Slovak side in spite of there being plenty of activity on the Austrian side right up to the border river bridge.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
The Stuttgart- Wien service is a „garage run“. The DB KISS are serviced in Vienna, and just as there is an overnight KISS service from Vienna to Berlin and Rostock now, there will be an overnight train to Stuttgart once the KISS start to operate from there.

Since no one knows when the tunnel opens (but it will be 2030 at the earliest), there might be some ideas floating around, but certainly no firm plans.

Sorry, I hadn’t read your answer before answering myself.
It's best Trenitalia managed to reserve some ETR610 for international services, but I wondered can ETR610 go to Slovenia/Croatia/Hungary?

Austriantrain

Established Member
It's best Trenitalia managed to reserve some ETR610 for international services, but I wondered can ETR610 go to Slovenia/Croatia/Hungary?

i don’t think they are approved there, but that can change. they have the required voltages; I think Slovenia has the same safety System as Italy. I am unsure as to Croatia and don‘t know if EVM for Hungary can be added.

ETR610 were approved in Austria to run between Zurich and Munich, using them on the Brenner Route would be a „lucky“ by-product.

Last edited:

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
i don’t think they are approved there, but that can change. they have the required voltages; I think Slovenia has the same safety System as Italy. I am unsure as to Croatia and don‘t know if EVM for Hungary can be added.

ETR610 were approved in Austria to run between Zurich and Munich, using them on the Brenner Route would be a „lucky“ by-product.
The reason I asked this question is because a Milan-Budapest route via Slovenia and Croatia is proposed in TEE 2.0 Project

Austriantrain

Established Member
The reason I asked this question is because a Milan-Budapest route via Slovenia and Croatia is proposed in TEE 2.0 Project

Which is, as has been stated before, a German „concept paper“, not an official plan, let alone for a route which does not touch German territory.

Cloud Strife

Established Member

I suppose the logical Turin-Milan-Trieste-Ljubljana corridor makes sense, as does Budapest-Zagreb. That only leaves 140km between Ljubljana and Zagreb, which makes sense for historical and cultural reasons.

Ljubljana is very poorly connected with Budapest as it stands, with the fastest route usually being a very expensive air connection via Munich or a 410km drive. I'm surprised that there aren't any direct flights between the two, but Hungary and Slovenia don't really have much in common.

superalbs

Established Member

IC 460 to Stuttgart will depart Wien Hbf at 21:55 and Salzburg at 00:51. The timetable in Germany is currently unknown.
IC 461 from Stuttgart will arrive in Salzburg at 02:48 and Wien Hbf at 06:05.
What will they run from Stuttgart?

I did Wien-Bratislava 2 months ago and there was absolutely no sign of any work on the Slovak side in spite of there being plenty of activity on the Austrian side right up to the border river bridge.
Marchegg is already served by EMUs if I recall correctly!

Beebman

Marchegg is already served by EMUs if I recall correctly!
That's right but currently only from Gänserndorf on the Wien-Břeclav line. The direct line from Wien was wired only as far as Wien Aspern Nord but is currently being electrified beyond there and is also having its track infrastructure renewed. When I was there in April work was also in progress for a short distance eastwards from Marchegg as far as the Austrian side of the border bridge but there was no sign at all of anything happening on the bridge itself or anywhere on the Slovak side.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation

Is it true that Frecciabianca and Frecciagento will be integrated into Frecciarossa?

Fragezeichnen

I don't understand the question. Like all rolling stock, they will be used to run trains, then at some point in the future they will be sold or scrapped.

What are you expecting to happen to them?

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
I don't understand the question. Like all rolling stock, they will be used to run trains, then at some point in the future they will be sold or scrapped.

What are you expecting to happen to them?
chill bro, I am just being curious. I wondered will ETR460, ETR480, ETR600, ETR610 and ETR700s will also be intergrated into Frecciariossa?

Austriantrain

Established Member
chill bro, I am just being curious. I wondered will ETR460, ETR480, ETR600, ETR610 and ETR700s will also be intergrated into Frecciariossa?

I would think it very likely and indeed, the ETR700 already have a red livery.

What else would you do with these trains, of which ETR6*0 and ETR700 are still fairly new?

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
But railfaneurope: ETR460/463s may be withdrawn
Wait. According to the article, ETR480 and ETR610 will not be repainted with the new Frecciarossa Livery. Any ideas why although I know that ETR610s will be reserved for international services like the München - Milano EC.

Austriantrain

Established Member
brand dilution seems to popular in most of Europe nowadays.

Having several brands is not always helpful to market services, because no one will be able to differentiate them anymore. I agree though that two brands (one for true HS services, a second one for other high-quality rapid trains) would be useful in Italy. A third one is definitely too much (there is actually a fourth one now, Intercity, for trains running with a public service compensation - as if any customer would care).

tasky

Having several brands is not always helpful to market services, because no one will be able to differentiate them anymore. I agree though that two brands (one for true HS services, a second one for other high-quality rapid trains) would be useful in Italy. A third one is definitely too much (there is actually a fourth one now, Intercity, for trains running with a public service compensation - as if any customer would care).
Buying tickets in Rome I remember the woman at the Trenitalia counter having to explain to me the different brands for getting down to Naples and semi-scolding me for using the wrong terminology!

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
Wait. According to the article, ETR480 and ETR610 will not be repainted with the new Frecciarossa Livery. Any ideas why although I know that ETR610s will be reserved for international services like the München - Milano EC.
Also I wondered if ETR460/463/480s are to transferred to Greece too

wellhouse

brand dilution seems to popular in most of Europe nowadays.
including UK!

Avanti are conflating accommodation and catering offers with First and Standard Premium (as have Eurostar have pretty much always done with different brand names) and LNER effectively do with the three First Class Catering brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.