• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd 313 unit at Hove on Sat 28 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was travelling yesterday on a diverted 377 from Clapham Jct to Chichester and return yesterday. Owing to engineering work, instead of going via the Arun Valley, we went via Haywards Heath and Hove. (odd formation, back 4 split off to Lewes via Brighton!, front 4 to Southampton or Pompey.) Very crowded too. I noticed at Hove there was what appeared to be a 3 carriage unit, painted in the old BR Blue/Grey livery, looked very smart too. I just wondered what that was all about?, it was there in both directions, morning and afternoon and in the afternoon was in service going to Brighton. That unit was I think 313201

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
I was travelling yesterday on a diverted 377 from Clapham Jct to Chichester and return yesterday. Owing to engineering work, instead of going via the Arun Valley, we went via Haywards Heath and Hove. (odd formation, back 4 split off to Lewes via Brighton!, front 4 to Southampton or Pompey.) Very crowded too. I noticed at Hove there was what appeared to be a 3 carriage unit, painted in the old BR Blue/Grey livery, looked very smart too. I just wondered what that was all about?, it was there in both directions, morning and afternoon and in the afternoon was in service going to Brighton. That unit was I think 313201
It's a heritage livery, although slightly modified so that the doors stand out from the rest of the train. I wouldn't mind seeing a unit make it to NSE livery!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Many thanks for the footage, that 313 looks super back in its original livery. To my mind at least the old blue/grey livery suits it perfectly and it hardly looks dated to my (old) eyes! I'd just really love to see the final touches of applying the E regional prefixes to the vehicle numbers and original BR OLE warning flashes on the guard/secondman side windscreens, although perhaps the latter wouldn't be permitted on the modern railway today?

physics34

Established Member
Many thanks for the footage, that 313 looks super back in its original livery. To my mind at least the old blue/grey livery suits it perfectly and it hardly looks dated to my (old) eyes! I'd just really love to see the final touches of applying the E regional prefixes to the vehicle numbers and original BR OLE warning flashes on the guard/secondman side windscreens, although perhaps the latter wouldn't be permitted on the modern railway today?

Its a clean professional livery, that suits most trains. The shade of blue was chosen as it hides dirt very well and is much better overall than the multi-coloured vomit efforts weve seen over the years, like Silverlink and ONE for example.

Southern livery is actually bearable but now seems outdated. Wouldnt mind Blue/Grey making a come back everywhere!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Its a clean professional livery, that suits most trains. The shade of blue was chosen as it hides dirt very well and is much better overall than the multi-coloured vomit efforts weve seen over the years, like Silverlink and ONE for example.

Southern livery is actually bearable but now seems outdated. Wouldnt mind Blue/Grey making a come back everywhere!

Yes I rather have to agree with what you say, Southern livery does look good but would it look even better if the green was just a tad deeper perhaps? Have to say that rake of mk2e/f stock currently in use for charter work looks excellent, what with that and the 313 on the southern perhaps we have the makings of a mini-comeback at least? :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

Yes I would agree with you there, I do like the Blue/Grey livery, it does look smart. It was used on the short lived Inter-City type service that went from London Marylebone to Shropshire a few years ago. That looked good too.

Does this 313201 just travel on the East and West Coastway services in Sussex?

Fincra5

Established Member
Yes I would agree with you there, I do like the Blue/Grey livery, it does look smart. It was used on the short lived Inter-City type service that went from London Marylebone to Shropshire a few years ago. That looked good too.

Does this 313201 just travel on the East and West Coastway services in Sussex?

Indeed, it makes appearances on the routes between Brighton to Seaford/ Eastbourne/ Ore (Ends in May for 313s) and Between Brighton/Littlehampton/Bognor and Portsmouth.

Fincra5

Established Member

Would like to see the Blue/Grey as the new SouthCoast colours, for the new franchise.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Would like to see the Blue/Grey as the new SouthCoast colours, for the new franchise.
Im hoping other operators might go for a "retro" thing with their soon-to-be-razorblades fleets... we've got this 313 along with the GWR powercars, so how about a trio of 142s in Provincial blue, Provincial 'Western' brown, and GMPTE orange? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.